Profile for Annie Oakley > Reviews

Letters to Charlotte: The Letters from Ellen Nussey to Charlotte Bronte
Letters to Charlotte: The Letters from Ellen Nussey to Charlotte Bronte
by Caeia March

3.0 out of 5 stars confusing, 23 Jan. 2011
I thought the story sounded interesting as I enjoy the 'classic' writers of that era. I found the content confusing at times. It is obvious the author is very keen on her subject and has done many hours research. For that I commend her.
However, I do not feel she has managed to convince me, as a reader, that Ellen's letters are true to the era due to the odd word or two that are fairly contemporary. I was left wondering; is the author truly endeavouring to write as Ellen Nussey or is she merely pauring out (especially in the early pages) what her own secret feelings were as a young girl?
For me, the letters from Ellen were not really convincing. Or could it be that I was just too aware that they were fiction?

The Creative Writing Coursebook: Forty Authors Share Advice and Exercises for Fiction and Poetry
by Julia Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Tree Score Years and Ten, 18 Feb. 2009
As a (very)mature university student 'The Creative Writing Coursebook' was an invaluable companion to my course. However, prior to - and following - my degree, the volume has always been a source of varying ideas and positive helpful information. This has been proved by my latest purchase of the book as it was for a gift to a student about to start a course and already doing creative writing. She is finding the range of writers viewpoints of great value in her studies. I am of the opinion that 'The Creative Writing Coursebook' is a 'must' for both new and the more regular writer.