Profile for LEA > Reviews

Cook for Your Life
Cook for Your Life
by Ian Thorpe

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot more than a cook book!, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Cook for Your Life (Paperback)
As I said in the title, this book offer a lot more than a cook book can offer.

First of all, if you are an Ian Thorpe fan, you wouldn't be disappointed. There's lots of fantastic photos of Ian. In the photo he looks healthy, relax, charming, attractive and sexy!

For me this is more than a cook book, and I believe this is a message Ian want to get across, it's about managing one's life. When one look at the photo what you see is luxurious lifestyle, yacht/boat (or is it just an seaside apartment?), nicely presented upmarket food that looks like they are from 5-star restaurants, smartly dressed people, and it all looks like it's the kind of lifestyle that is beyond reach for most people. But it is not what this book is about. It's not about promoting millionaire lifestyle, it's about healthy lifestyle that can easily be achieved by ordinary people. The food in the photo may look posh (and expensive), for example, Oysters in seven deadly sins, grilled salmon with roasted red capsicum pesto, Mrs Cowley's brontosaurus beef, beetroot-cured salmon with fennel salad, to name just a few. But if you actually go to the market to buy the ingredient and do your own cooking, it end up cheaper than take-aways (an average take away meal would costs about £6-8 per person, for a family of 4 it'd be at least £25 for a meal, with less than half the price you can easily get fresh salmon fillets, vegetables and all the other ingredients for a decent meal at home). So why not making it at home? And this is the message Ian want to get across, cook for your life, it's more economical, healthier and most importantly, a lot more more fun!

I'm genuinely impressed by Ian's knowledge about the different ingredients and how to make it work, which demonstrate his knowledge of culinary as an art and science. Considered myself as a reasonbly good cook, I'm impressed that Ian can make green and red curry paste from scratch. The use of ingredient is innovation - coriander root, where do you get the idea from? Most of the dishes in the book are very easy to make, which would be very helpful for those who aren't particularly familiar with cooking. There are some dishes that I would do differently, but then it's personal perference.

It really is a book about your life, and how to make a difference for your life, "cook for your life", I can't think of a more appropriate title. In recent years I have been quite depressed because of various reasons that I haven't been cooking a lot (I went as down as buying ready meal from supermarkets!). This book remind me of what I've missed all these time. For the first time in ages, I send out invitation to have friends to come over for dinner, and for the first time in ages, I dig out my food processor & steamer to prepare food for the party this weekend. My only regret is Ian is not in the guest list, well, Ian, if you are somewhere nearby, give me a shout and I would quite like to show you some of my dishes (and of course I'd like to try some of yours too). Though we never met, I feel like I already know you, I believe one can tell quite lot about a person from their cooking.

Overall, it's been a wonderful experience. Very well done and congratulations, Ian. Thank you for this inspiring book.

All the best luck and every success in whatever you do.

Helix Paperback Book Safe (Concealed Security Box) Ref W61022
Helix Paperback Book Safe (Concealed Security Box) Ref W61022
Offered by OMGHOWCHEAP LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect disguise!, 19 May 2012
The safe is a very convincing disguise as an average size paperback book (don't understand why people comment about its size being too small, if it's above average size it wouldn't be convincing, would it?) Have asked my friend to look for it from my book shelves but none was able to spot it wihout trial and errors. Not sure about the key & lock, as I'd assume anyone get hold of this book safe can easily take this with them, so I don't use the lock. After all, it's meant to be a disguise.

Overall, happy to recommend this, especially those who have small amount of valuables and live in not so safe area such as student accommodation. I wish I have this when I was a student.

A Clergyman's Daughter
A Clergyman's Daughter
by George Orwell

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Orwell's best, most underrated, 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: A Clergyman's Daughter (Paperback)
I can see why this book wasn't highly rated. It doesn't involve any interesting or extraordianry character, it doesn't have sad ending (which one half expect from Orwell's book) nor happy ending. It appear to end as it begun. Some might see this as a book of emptiness. But I found this book genuinely inspiring. In this book the character Dorophy, the clergyman's daughter is leading a hopeless life, facing debt and selfish father. As a reader I felt sorry for her and hope things would change, so when she lost memory and found herself turned up in London, I thought here comes the changes, and of course it didn't turn out well, she went begging, hop-picking, teaching, attempting to reform teaching, being fired and then being rescued.... One would thought after all the experience, things would be different, at least she'd try to make a difference for herself. But it didn't happen, she turned down Mr. Warburton (her suitor) and continue to work in the church and continue to head towards the invitable - aging, poor, unmarried, jobless and hopeless, all because she was too busy with the amount of work in front of her. Is it what majority of the people are experiencing? Knowing that if you continue this way there'll be no hope, but you still continue to do so because you are too busy for change, too busy to make a difference for your life, and then hope against hope that things will turn out fine even if you don't do anything about it?

Truely inspiring book.

Nineteen Eighty-four
Nineteen Eighty-four
by George Orwell

5.0 out of 5 stars More true than ever - especially in the West, 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Nineteen Eighty-four (Paperback)
This is a book that truely describe what is going on in the world. Many would automatically refer it to the iron curtain countries and think that if you live in a "liberal" and "democratic" countries with "freedom of speech" like the US, UK and the like you are fine. Apparently this is not what Orwell is referring, it goes deeper than that because the true control is that you genuinely convinced by it, not knowing that you've been told the lies all the time (through media, education etc), not knowing that your minds and thoughts have been shaped in a way that those in power what it to be. In short, what we're experiencing in the West. In fact, it holds more true in the West than the rest of the world.

This book is truely revealing but I doubt how many can really appreciate it.