Profile for askmeno > Reviews

askmeno

Training and Racing with a Power Meter
Training and Racing with a Power Meter
by Hunter Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars The best training book for fit cyclists/Triathletes., 19 Sept. 2016
This is quite an amazing book for the Cyclist or Triathlete who is trying to move from fit to being actually fast. Developing consistent speed over any real distance e.g 10kM TT or Olympic Distance Bike race requires an understanding of your Threshold Power. Getting fast up a 5min or better yet 30min climb requires a detailed understanding of the difference between training for Vo2Max and SubThreshold. This book explains the ways to develop these specific fitness goals. I have the Kindle and Paperback version. I felt that the paperback was worth it given the need to flick back and forth. When the book arrived it exceeded my expectations. It is much better as a paperback.

Klarfit Chin-Up Bar for Ceiling Assembly Multi-Exercise Station (3 grip groups, can take up to 350 kg, anti-slip) Black
Offered by Electronic-Star-UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Inner handles are not strong enough for a 85KG person, 11 Aug. 2016
The inner most handles put too much pressure on the welds at the down tubes when I do bodyweight chin ups on it. The main bar has actually bent and is ripping away from the weld to the point where I cannot use the inner handles one more time without breaking the whole thing. I now just use the wider parallel grips and the outer grips. I will try and return it for the model without the inner handles. I can supply photos if anyone wants to see. I weigh only 85KG so no where near the supposed weight limit.

The Hacker Playbook: Practical Guide To Penetration Testing
The Hacker Playbook: Practical Guide To Penetration Testing
by Peter Kim

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reference to intermediate pentester's and serious enthusiasts., 2 Mar. 2015
A great book and on the job reference. I have the paper and kindle versions of this book and referred to it recently on a job. I encourage you to read it through quickly then read it again when actually trying to do something. It is a great reference. The authors section on adding additional tools to Kali was worth the purchase price. Also google the author and check out his Blog. Lots of useful stuff there.

A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
by Chrissie Wellington

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing because there is not much of a journey, 24 April 2013
I'm a fan of Chrissie and her accomplishments are amazing. However this book is boring. It's just a walk through her amazing accomplishments. There is almost no drawing into her character or journey. It just tells a remarkable story without ever providing much context to the amazingness of it.

Ironwar or running with the kenyans it is not.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite running purchase, 19 Dec. 2012
This is a great running jacket that I also use for cycling some times. It is very water proof and wind proof and has survived this decembers rain and cold winds in Manchester. I have been doing runs of 3-7 miles in all conditions in this jacket wearing only a nike long sleeve dri fit running top under neath. There have been no problems with over heating. There is a useful sized napoleon pocket that seems very strong and secure. Inside that there is a further smaller pocket with internal headphones loop. This smaller pocket is sized for a smartphone. The jacket is more substantial than some jackets but I prefer it for Winter running. There are strategic reinforcement patches so that you can wear a backpack without rubbing holes into the jacket.

All in all my favourite running purchase.

Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby)
by Michael Hartl

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple the best development book I have read, 15 April 2012
This is a complete development tutorial. It opened up a great development methodology to me and taught me rails at the same time. I could read this book again and probably will when the print edition of the second edition is available.

Until that time I recommend going to the website and reading the second edition online.

I built a Twitter Clone that was styled correctly and deployed it to Heroku so I could discuss the changes I had made with my overseas colleagues in 4 days.

Great book. I will buy Michaels next book.

Rails 3 in Action
Rails 3 in Action
by Ryan Bigg

4.0 out of 5 stars Way too many errors and incomplete errata. But still very useful, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Rails 3 in Action (Paperback)
This book is very useful if you are half way there as a developer and need to learn about BDD and how to debug an application but definitely of no use to absolute beginners. Do not buy it if you do not have any Rails or Ruby experience you will have no chance of completing the tutorial.

The positives of this book are easy to summarise.

I would describe this book as a useful tutorial for the beyond beginner but not quite there yet developer who learns by doing and would like a tutorial focussed on current development practices. In this tutorial you will build and debug a non trivial application which will take you way beyond a shopping cart or todo list or twitter clone.

The negatives.

This book is more useful as a troubleshooting training aid than as a pure application building tutorial.This book is definitely not as good as the ROR Tutorial by Michael Hartl for beginners.

There are a large number of inconsistencies in the way the book has been delivered. Code that is meant to be typed into features/specs/views/models/controllers is typically highlighted with a code layout reference and put under a heading. However many times per chapter code is just interspersed with regular text. So you have many times where you will miss something that should have gone in a text file.

There is a repetitive habit of refactoring small features. This happens a lot in the first 5-6 chapters and is a nice ay of getting into the habit. However after 250 pages of this I personally would have rather just got on with it.

There is a repetitive practice of writing a feature and then running it before you've done anything to make it work which after 8 chapters gets boring. This method is not really referenced back to the development model very often so it can just get frustrating.

There is an errata page which is woefully incomplete.

There is a forum with ten pages of questions due to the difficulties that the people who have bought this book are having with it.

Overall I am very glad I bought the book. Despite the fact that this is no reference book. I hope the second edition e-book is available for free.

Laura's Star
Laura's Star
by Klaus Baumgart

2.0 out of 5 stars mixed emotions, 18 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Laura's Star (Paperback)
I liked the idea of this story at first - i.e the main character Laura, finding and looking after a star, and had read the positive reviews. However, after receiving the book and reading it ourselves, my wife & I found it quite sad that Laura could not share her secrets with her parents or another trusted adult. On reflection, we decided not to read it to our 3 year old daughter, as we are teaching her that she can and should share any / all secrets with us.

Use Your Head
Use Your Head
by Tony Buzan

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on Learning to learn, 17 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Use Your Head (Paperback)
This book has improved my Reading speed a bit, My memory a lot, my study techniqu an amazing amount. I can using the techniques outlined in this easy to read book read faster remember more of what I read and using the simple mind mapping techniques and review techniques make the knowledge a permanent addition. I love this book and I have convinced my Wife and brother to read it. I am also impressing my colleagues at work with my ability to quickly learn and recall new technologies.

Master Your Memory (The mind set)
Master Your Memory (The mind set)
by Tony Buzan

5.0 out of 5 stars A terriffic book for learning to memorise lists, 17 Feb. 2001
This is a terrific book for learning to memorise lists. It is also a system for developing the fitness of your brain as a whole. Your memory will imrove a 1000% and this book makes it very simple to do.