Profile for Library Dweller > Reviews

Library Dweller (Scotland)

Letters from Gourgounel
Letters from Gourgounel
by Kenneth White

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very glad to have chanced upon such a delight, 23 Jun. 2017
Letters from Gourgounel is a gem of a book. It documents Kenneth White's time in the Ardeche in much the same way that Walden documents Thoreau's time by his pond. But Thoreau's pond was, in reality, suburban, while White's Gourgounel is a part of an old peasant Europe that has only recently vanished. White's reflections are honest and unpretentious, yet poetic and profound.

I'm very glad to have chanced upon such a delight!

The Intelligence Game: an introduction to narrative coaching
The Intelligence Game: an introduction to narrative coaching
by Mark Davidson

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable and inspiring, 22 May 2017
I like that the book was written as a story. It drew me in and I read the whole book at a single sitting.

The story serves a clear purpose. It introduces narrative coaching and shows how a narrative coach might work. Narrative coaching does seem to provide a clear and coherent framework for coaching and it does appear to be, as it says on the cover, “build upon solid philosophical foundations”.

The book left me keen to do a bit of coaching myself and I’m now looking for opportunities to do so.

Klipsch X11i In-Ear Headphones with 3-button control and Microphone - Black
Klipsch X11i In-Ear Headphones with 3-button control and Microphone - Black
Offered by TT WARES

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and comfort. Terrible durability., 18 Jan. 2016
These headphones have two strong points and one fatal flaw.

The first strong point is the sound. The bass is strong and crisp, as long as you have a good seal with your ears. The mids and highs are clear and balanced. I am a semi-professional musician, so being able to hear music properly is very important to me.

The second strong point is their comfort. They are light and a good fit. I have small ear canal and I've come across very few pairs of in-ear headphones that anywhere close to as comfortable as these.

The fatal flaw, however, is the durability. I am always careful with the headphones. Nevertheless, the connection between the cable and the jack has broken down leaving the wires exposed. For a carefully treated, expensive set of headphones such as these, this is simply not acceptable. There are cheep sets of headphones where the week points are well designed and built. Unless you are only ever going to wear the headphones with your phone on the table in front of you, this should be a deal-breaker.

The Art of Common Sense
The Art of Common Sense
by Mark Davidson

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than Just A Story, 5 Jan. 2016
I want to start by saying that I work as a coach, so this book had particular interest for me, but I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in what makes for living well. It rewards careful reading.

I read the book twice. The first time, I got caught up in the story and read quickly, but I was intrigued by the depth of understanding of coaching that comes together at the end of the book. Most books that tackle with coaching are full of handy hints and models that most experienced coaches realise are little more than starting points. I’ve not come across anything before that put coaching in a proper philosophical context, as The Art of Common Sense does. So I went back and read the book a second time, paying more attention to Murdo’s philosophy and its connection with the coaching.

I found that the book presented a very complete view and practitioner-friendly model of coaching (the Three Act Model). For the past few weeks I have been experimenting with using this model in my own coaching work and I’ve found it very helpful. It really does clarify things.

Clear and Simple as the Truth: Writing Classic Prose, Second Edition
Clear and Simple as the Truth: Writing Classic Prose, Second Edition
by Francis-Noël Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth Reading, 17 Nov. 2014
I am always fascinated by books on writing that embody their own lessons, as Clear and Simple does through being self-consciously written in the classic style.

I believe that the book’s main propositions are correct. Style, as opposed to verbal skills, is important and frequently overlooked. The conceptual stand on truth, presentation, writer, reader, thought, etc. that define the classic style is a powerful stand to take and the classic style writer’s choices are often good ones.

The book itself also demonstrates, however, that there is more to good writing than having verbal skills and adopting a coherent and appropriate stance, for the book is often repetitive and the prose, though intelligent and precise, can be somewhat stiff. Perhaps Clear and Simple has two great lessons to divulge. It explicitly details the importance of style and it reveals, implicitly, what else apart from skills and style is necessary for writing to be elegant.

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J. K. Rowling

2.0 out of 5 stars Are The English That Shallow?, 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Hardcover)
I don't live in England, so I can't be certain, but I doubt that the English are really as small-minded, selfish and one-dimensional as The Casual Vacancy makes them out to be. The only character in the book whose actions are motivated by more than their own pettiness dies in the first (short) chapter. Everyone else has a simple formula of idiosyncratic nastiness driving them - snobbery, sloth, agression, a glib obsession with authenticity, megalomania, ... The girl at the centre of the book who comes from a very bad background, yet is loved by many, is always made to talk in such a clichéd style that, even though she cares for her young brother, she fails to come to life sufficiently for her compassion to provide any kind of a counterweight.

Perhaps the problem is that Rowling fills the book with so many characters that she isn't able to give any of them an inner life of any subtlety. On the other hand it is also possible that the English really are all shallow, one-dimensional, petty-minded snobs. That is what their foreign policy suggests! And their attitude to continental Europe! And their predilection to elect Old Etonians to public office!

Maybe the book is better than I thought!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2012 4:14 PM BST

Short Fuse: The Global Anthology of New Fusion Poetry
Short Fuse: The Global Anthology of New Fusion Poetry
by Philip Norton

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Hot, 30 April 2010
I was hoping for a higher standard of work. There was little in this book/CD combo that inspired me. Perhaps that is just me, though, I am very fussy when it comes to performance poetry.

ByteStor 16GB SDHC Class 4 Memory Card
ByteStor 16GB SDHC Class 4 Memory Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, 30 April 2010
I bought this SD card to use in an Olympus LS-11 portable sound recorder and it works fine.

Taking the PYP Forward
Taking the PYP Forward
by Simon Davidson

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspirational Book, 3 July 2009
This review is from: Taking the PYP Forward (Paperback)
I got my copy of Taking The PYP forward a few days ago and I would rate it as the best books for practicing teachers that has come our over the past few years. It brings together all the things that an engaged teacher should know, from neuroscience to how to avoid getting weighed down by bureaucracy, and puts them together in a single, very readable volume.

I work in a state school, not an international school, but I still found the book highly relevant to the challenges I face from day to day in the classroom, and I am looking forward to the new school year when I'll see what happens when I put some of the ideas into practice.

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (Routledge Classics)
Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (Routledge Classics)
by Ludwig Wittgenstein

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Translation Around, 4 Nov. 2008
Anyone who really wants to understand the Western tradition of philosophy, including where it goes wrong, should get to know the Tractatus, and this translation is by far my favourite.

It may take a little while to become familiar enough with Wittgenstein and his way of going about philosophy to appreciate the Tractatus for what it really is, but when you do you realise that it is a great book. Flawed, but great. In fact, Wittgenstein spent over twenty years working toward a book which would overcome the Tractatus's flaws while showing that the overall intelligence within the Tractatus was valid and important. This second book was published shortly after his death as Philosophical Investigations, and only by understanding the two books together can you, philosophically, begin to "see the world aright" [Tractatus, 6.54].