Profile for P. Allen > Reviews

Content by P. Allen

P. Allen (London, England)

Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PS3)
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PS3)

3.0 out of 5 stars A great game ruined by the player control system, 22 Dec. 2011
Battlefield 3 has the potential to be a great game but as usual EA have found some way of messing up. Upon first playing the game I was struck by just how detailed the maps and kits are compared to Modern Warfare. My real issues came with the sensitivity settings of the game play controls. Initially I put this down to my unfamiliarity with the control system and played on hoping to see a gradual improvement. However, after nearly 2 very frustrating months of playing game I've decided that it's a development issue that needs to be patched asap if I am going to keep the game.

Don't get me wrong, the graphics are amazing and blow those on Modern Warfare out of the water completely. The maps are detailed and provide a realistic landscape for a full on battle and not just a Modern Warfare style street fight. The Frostbite 2 engine really does an amazing job. The maps are appropriately sized for both Team Deathmatch (smaller) and Conquest (larger). On the larger maps there are varying types of vehicles for players to use. Be warned though, these take time and practice to master. You won't be able to jump into an attack helicopter or a fighter jet and go on a never ending killing spree. It's more likely you will spend a lot of time crashing and swearing at the screen.

I've read about the server problems that people have been having and yes sometimes the game struggles to connect to a server. The answer to this is to be proactive and go in and search for a server yourself when the game doesn't connect straight away. This is easily done and I've never failed to find a suitable game server and make a connection straight away.

My main problem with this game is that it constantly feels like I am having to fight the control system in order to have a decent game. The main issue here is the controller sensitivity settings. At one end of the scale they are too sensitive and fly wildly at the slightest touch (imagine looking out of a washing machine that's on a high speed spin cycle). At the other end of the scale they are painfully sluggish and unresponsive (imagine being drunk and semi-concious). The middle ground? Well there is no middle ground. It's just varying degrees of frustration with the controls.

The default sensitivity setting is too loose and when guiding your player about the map or trying to aim down the sights of your weapon, this leads to a wild swinging left and right and all around as you move your control stick even by a small degree. At this point you decide to change the default setting and decrease controller sensitivity to a less sensitive setting. On other games this tends to improve the player handling and allow you to get on with enjoying the game. Not so on Battlefield 3. The only manageable setting for me was 4 clicks away from the absolute minimum sensitivity. There I am able to aim etc and stand a fair chance at hitting the target (bare in mind I am a FPS veteran and not a total noob). The only downside is that my player now turns around in wide circles like an oil tanker and in close combat situations cannot react quickly enough to the action. This is a problem which really does suck the fun out of the game for me. I haven't encountered this on any of the other FPS games I've played. It seems that the player movement speed and the aiming speed of players is tied together. On other games I've played this seems to be separate, leading to a much better playing experience.

The other issue is minor compared to the one above. This is the use of the R3 button for either crouching or melee attack. When trying to react to an attack I often find my player unexpectedly crouching, laying prone or wildly slashing with the knife (which remains armed as opposed to your gun!). This isn't just a problem I am having. I regularly see other players doing the same thing whilst I am attacking them or they are attacking each other. I would have preferred to have chosen not to use this button.

I have decided to hold on to the game for the time being in the hope that EA and DICE develop a patch to rectify the sensitivity issue. I suggest that you delay buying a copy of Battlefield 3 until after you have borrowed a copy to see if the controller sensitivity issue is something you can live with. I know that it is ruining my own personal game play experience.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2011 4:04 PM GMT

Paranormal Activity [DVD]
Paranormal Activity [DVD]
Dvd ~ Katie Featherston

2.0 out of 5 stars A mixture of a scary story, a Neighbours episode and cctv footage from the Ikea beds section, 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Paranormal Activity [DVD] (DVD)
Hate is a strong word to use in relation to a movie that I am pretty indifferent about, so I simply chose the 2 star 'I don't like it' option.

As scary movies go this one is disappointing. Most of the scares and frights you get are kind of obvious and not very scary. You can basically guess what's going to happen without the use of any special Jedi powers. I would best describe the movie as a mixture of a good scary story, a really poor Neighbours episode, and the after hours cctv footage from the bed section at Ikea.

NBA 08 (PS3)
NBA 08 (PS3)
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars Not by EA Sports so that's gotta be good!!!, 22 Feb. 2008
This review is from: NBA 08 (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm not usually the kind of person that would buy a basketball related game but, on one Saturday afternoon I did and I haven't regretted it.

I'll concentrate on the gameplay more than anything else because I think we can all accept that the graphics of practically all games these days is top notch.

The menus are easy to navigate, exhibition games are easy to set up and there are four difficulty levels ranging from Rookie to All-Star to keep you interested in the longterm. So far I'm a few games into a league and I've had a few friends over to take advantage of the four player game options. So far I've had no problems with either.

The only thing I found a bit confusing was identifying the abilities of the teams. Not being familiar with basketball teams it took me a little while to figure out that the teams with the lowest numbers were the best as opposed to the usual highest numbers being best.

Once you're in the game the player controls are easy to get to grips with and the games are just as fast and frenetic as the real thing. Even the dribbling tricks and tactics are easy to pull off and set up respectively. The commentary is also effective in providing some added atmosphere and hasn't yet become annoying unlike some of the commentary on the EA Sports sims.

All round it's a solid game that has well rendered graphics and is really playable. I don't often write game reviews but this one deserves some attention. I'll recommend this game highly to both fans of the sport and those looking for something different. 5 Stars

TIP: Watch the timing of your tackles or you'll give away 'reach in fouls' which your opposition will score from for fun.

FIFA 08 (PS3)
FIFA 08 (PS3)
Offered by waynesmoviesgames

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this game!!!, 17 Oct. 2007
This review is from: FIFA 08 (PS3) (Video Game)
I've been playing this game solidly since the day it was released, giving it every chance to impress me but, yet again it seems that EA Sports has missed an opportunity to develop a truly great footy sim.

Every year EA bring out a new FIFA footy sim and every year they manage to take one step forward and three steps back. This year they gave us FIFA 08 and it really is a feast for the eyes. Visually suberb with graphics rendered to the highest quality. The development of some new in game menus and a tactics editor was superb and a much welcomed addition to the game. However the gameplay itself is where the game falls down.

The match control system is useless. Actually on further reflection worse than useless. Firstly the only method of player control available comes through the analogue thumb controls. You can't use the direction pad any more. Why? What was the point of taking that option away? The button configurations that are available have been changed since FIFA 07 and they are uncomfortable to use. Personally my hands would need to be 2/3 their size before I could comfortably get my hands into position to perform a finesse shot. Shooting? Near impossible even when assisted due to the fact the power bar shoots up even with the slightest touch.

There are even more annoying points about the game play such as the fact that when taking free kicks you can't rotate your player 360 degrees to take advantage of other pass options and; the actual view given when taking a free kick is also rubbish. One of the great features EA added to FIFA 07 was the ability to call a team mate when taking free kicks and corners. That option is no longer available . . why?

The ball control looks like players are playing with a cheap fly away ball from a cornershop rather than a proper matchball. Also why does every player have the turning circle of an oil tanker. They're painfully slow at turning and tricks? What tricks? Nice if you're playing one on one with the keeper between menus but otherwise useless.

Some of the same old problems are there as well such as the fact that despite what EA may say, when you pass the ball to a team mate and that little triangle appears over their head you can't control the player straight away. Infact you won't be able to control the player until your opponent has got the ball and is making tracks for your goal. My personal favorite is still there as well . . . player switching!! It's not the switching I've got a problem with its the fact that when it does switch to another player, that player shoots off in the opposite direction to the one you're pointing in. Last but not least the through ball option is useless unless there is acres of space to pass into. Through balls in tight areas are seemingly impossible.

I could go on and on but my advice to you is this. Don't buy this game until you've played somebody elses copy or borrowed one from Blockbuster. Chances are you will save yourself £40.00 buying this piece of EA rubbish.

Personally I've traded my copy in at Gamestation and I won't be buying another EA FIFA title until they get their act together and realise that developing a series of games is about continuously improving it in the same way that Sigames did with Championship Manager (now Football Manager).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2007 6:46 PM GMT