Profile for Laura > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Dating Game
The Dating Game

3.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 Stars, 16 May 2017
This review is from: The Dating Game (Kindle Edition)
Having read the first book 'Kiss and Tell', I was pleased to see a second book about David (the initial object of Lane's desire) and Sarah (Adam's sister, Lane's friend). However, I didn't enjoy it as much as Adam and Lane's story.

I found out that the author has written for Mills and Boon and to me, the storyline in this book seemed similar to a M&B plot. I didn't particularly like David and he wasn't my kind of hero. It also went on a bit towards the end.

Kiss Don't Tell
Kiss Don't Tell

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute read, 10 May 2017
This review is from: Kiss Don't Tell (Kindle Edition)
This was a cute read although it's entirely predictable.

After I finished reading, I looked up the author and wasn't suprised to find that she has written for Mills & Boon. Of course, this novel is a bit more modern but I notice similar storylines to this have appeared in her M&B romances.

Adam and Lane definitely had chemistry and I liked how Adam took things slowly at first on the sexual side of their relationship. Lane kept mentioning that Adam was alpha male but I have read hundreds of books with an alpha male hero and to me, Adam didn't quite fit the part.

It was a cute read. I was interested to see there is another book about Adam's sister Sarah and David also from this book. I requested it from Netgalley but sorry to say, I didn't enjoy it as much as this book.

Hostile Takeover: A Knights of the Board Room Novel
Hostile Takeover: A Knights of the Board Room Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not as good as authors other books, 3 May 2017
I didn't enjoy this as much as some of the authors other books. I have been impressed with her writing in the other books but this one didn't seem as well written and I wasn't over keen on the storyline.

Truly Helpless: A Nature of Desire Series Novel
Truly Helpless: A Nature of Desire Series Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 1 May 2017
I haven't read all the books in this series but Natural Law was my favourite. I do like this authors writing style but this book is long...maybe too long. The majority of the book only covers a short space of time then near the end we're told more than we're shown and it seemed rushed. However, it's a good story.

I liked Regina, she's definitely a strong woman. Marius is a sub but he keeps making mistakes with mistresses. He has a scene with Regina and feels something but there is something happening in his life and it has an effect on him and after a bad scene with another Mistress, he is suspended from the Club but Regina is tasked with helping him.

I liked that most of the action took place outside of the Club (I loved their real date). There are some shocking scenes and it did make Marius (or Duncan which is his real name) seem dangerous but as we slowly begin to learn about his childhood and what he has suffered, it made him vulnerable and I loved that side of him. Marius' age wasn't mentioned but Regina called him 'boy' a lot. She's around 35 but I'm presuming Marius was in his 20's? I felt when I first started reading that he seemed older but as the story progressed and we learnt about his past then he did seem younger but that was perhaps down to his vulnerability?

This is not my preferred genre of book but the authors writing sucks you in. I'm not a fan of the horse play and other aspects, but there is a love story and I was glad Marius let Regina in and that they found each other. A recommended read.

The Playboy Bachelor (The Bachelors of Arizona Book 2)
The Playboy Bachelor (The Bachelors of Arizona Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Book 2, 21 April 2017
I enjoyed reading about Bentley and his twin Brant in the first book of this series so was looking forward to their stories.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first. Possibly because I couldn't get on board with the storyline. It seemed ridiculous to me that it has taken 10 years for Bentley to reconnect with his best friend Margot. It also seemed ridiculous he didn't know about her prosthetic leg or that she didn't know why he hadn't come to see her in the hospital. As for why he didn't come and see her in the hospital, I felt that part of the storyline was quite weak as he didn't act like somebody with that problem (I'm trying not to give a spoiler).

As for Bentley being a man wh*re, I didn't feel the author redeemed him enough. It all seemed brushed over even the fact he slept with a married woman and showed no remorse. Considering Margot is a virgin, she didn't seem at all concerned that he had slept with so many women.

I do like this authors writing style but she's quite prolific and I wonder if sometimes her stories are rushed and written too fast. I think she could have made more of this story. I also felt what happened near the end to reunite them was a bit OTT and seemed odd to put Margot in a similar situation to the past.

I will still read Brant's book as I'm intrigued about him and his ex wife.

Dancing in the Rain
Dancing in the Rain

3.0 out of 5 stars Storyline had potential - 2.5 Stars, 18 April 2017
Drew Sellers is a former NHL player who had to retire with a knee injury. Then his wife left him for his team mate and now he's drowning his sorrows not knowing where he's going in life. Then a woman named Sara comes to tell him that he is the father of her 11 year old daughter Chloe. Drew and Sara had a one night stand in college but she only knew his first name and thought he was at college with her but he wasn't, so she was unable to track him down but then she saw his picture on the front of a magazine and found out his full name. Sara has contacted Drew because she has stage 4 cancer and is dying and although Chloe has an Auntie (Peyton), they have no other family and she wants her daughter Chloe to know her father. It also turns out that Drew lives near Sara and Chloe and has done for years so I found that a bit far fetched.

Sara's sister Peyton is a career woman in New York but she flies to stay with her sister and niece to take care of them. There is no anger on Drew's part that he didn't know he had a child all these years and although he is unsure if he can step up to the plate after a confrontation with Peyton, he rethinks his decision.

This was quite a basic romance. I didn't feel the connection between Drew and Peyton and although the story surrounding Sara is sad, it lacked emotion. Drew and Peyton are attracted to one another and begin a sexual relationship (Peyton didn't seem to mind that she was sleeping with an ex lover of her sisters!). Drew becomes close to Chloe and helps out a lot then once Sara dies, Peyton has to think about returning to New York and taking Chloe with her but of course Drew doesn't want to lose his daughter (or Peyton).

The standard romance format of the couple falling out then reuniting was also lacking in any emotion. Drew is a nice guy and Peyton is OK but both characters lacked something for me as did the romance. It had potential to be a good story but in my opinion it failed to have any real impact.

I received an ARC from Netgalley.

A Crime of the Heart
A Crime of the Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Amish Romance, 7 April 2017
I read this book years ago when it was released under Mills & Boon. I remembered the story over the years and tried to search for it to read again but I couldn't remember the title or the author just that it featured an Amish hero. I was therefore really pleased to find it under Kindle Unlimited.

It's an emotional story and it still made me feel emotional but reading it again, I wished the author had shown us a bit of Adam and Quinn together in the past and I wished she had written an epilogue as although it ends on a happily ever after, it seemed a bit abrupt.

Adam is Amish. Quinn is 'English'. They had met as children and fallen in love as young adults but Adam's family found out and his father warned Quinn what would happen to Adam if they continued their relationship. Quinn's parents both became ill and died within 18 months of each other then she found out she was pregnant. She made the decision to have the baby adopted and leave Adam as she didn't want his family to shun him or for him to leave the Amish way of life. She then moved away.

11 years later and Quinn has returned home, she needs renovations to her home and Adam has been hired to do some of the work. He is still living the Amish way of life but it's clear he is not happy. He holds some bitterness towards Quinn for the fact she made the decision about their baby and his life without discussing it with him but he still loves her. There is some angst which I like in romances but it is written in a way that there is nothing really hurtful said, they don't really argue, they just both hurt.. It's about Adam trying to get Quinn to see what he wants and that she made a mistake not discussing things with him in their past.

This is an emotional romantic story and I enjoyed reading it again.

Hard Limits (Bowen Boys)
Hard Limits (Bowen Boys)

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have preferred their story as a full length novel, 6 April 2017
I liked Nico and Paige and would have preferred a full length novel rather than a Novella. They fell in love a bit too quickly after a few bouts of sex. I would have preferred to read more dialogue between them as it seemed like they just met up for sex.

I wish Nico had called her Paige more instead of Goth Girl, it started to irritate me.

The author writes good sex scenes and alpha males. I thought Nico was less alpha than normal but I still liked how he was with Paige.

Broken
Broken

3.0 out of 5 stars Beauty and the Beast style storyline, 5 April 2017
This review is from: Broken (Kindle Edition)
The synopsis interested me and reviews on Goodreads said it was a Beauty and the Beast style romance. I read a sample and liked the sound of it but once I started reading, I felt Stella's personality kept changing. At times what she came out with surprised me as it didn't seem like the same woman I read about in the beginning.

Ford was born ugly. His own mother could hardly bear to look at him and his father, brother and sister all treat him badly and make him feel bad about himself. I just couldn't believe how Ford's family behaved towards him, it seemed really far fetched.

I liked Ford although I couldn't really picture how ugly he supposedly was from the authors description. Stella doesn't see his ugliness even though her friends do but her family also didn't see it. I suppose that was so we had a comparison between how horrible Ford's family were to how perfect Stella's were.

Stella has her own insecurities as she thinks she's overweight but again, I couldn't picture it from the authors descriptions.

It was a sweet love story and I don't mean sweet as in the love scenes were sweet as Ford is good in bed but again, I found the reason for how he got to be so good far fetched as well. I could see the potential in the story but felt the author went a bit over the top with some of the characters and their reactions.

Plain Refuge (Mills & Boon Superromance)
Plain Refuge (Mills & Boon Superromance)

3.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 Stars, 5 April 2017
I'm surprised this book is published by Harlequin Superromance as it didn't feel romantic to me at all. I like books set in the Amish Community but didn't really get a full feel of the Amish life in this book. The story is quite boring and concentrates mainly on the danger Rebecca is in due to something she found out about her ex husband.

The romance between Rebecca and Daniel seemed to come out of nowhere as for the majority of the book they don't mention being attracted to each other then next minute share a kiss. That was all for another good length of the book until the romance suddenly comes near the end of the book but it was a little too late for me and I felt no chemistry between them and wasn't therefore convinced of the syrupy ending with declarations of love and a marriage proposal.

Not what I expected.