Profile for Katie Lou > Reviews

Content by Katie Lou

Katie Lou

40 Disc CD DVD VCD DJ Storage Media Holder Sleeve Case Hard Box Wallet Carry Bag
Offered by Trend Mall

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 12 Jan. 2015
Sturdy, fits loads in. Looks a bit flat when it arrives but expands as you put CDs in, and has loads of space. Great value

OxyLED Battery-Operated Stick-on Touch Light Tap Light, 4 LED DIY Cupboard Cabinet Night Light - T-01

5.0 out of 5 stars I probably shouldn't be so excited about lights, 12 Jan. 2015
My wardrobe was desperately in need of some light - it's in a dark corner, I've had to add an extra rail, and there isn't room to fit a credit card between items. I ordered this and a few spotlights to try, but I wish I had just ordered a few of these. The light is really bright, more so than the spotlight ones I ordered, and the strip style spreads the light far further, for the same 3 AAA batteries. The rotating light bar is also really useful: placing the spotlights above my clothes only shed light on the closest items, but I could attach this to the edge of the wardrobe or the door and tilt it to throw it's light across the whole rail.

All in all, it's made things much easier, and I would definitely recommend.

The Night Falling
The Night Falling
by Katherine Webb

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot recommend this, and Katherine Webb, enough!, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Night Falling (Hardcover)
Katherine Webb is without doubt the best author I have yet to find, and this is possibly her best yet. So compelling I couldn't put it down. As with all of Webb's novels, it is never predictable or dull, full of action and passion. As always, I couldn't stop reading but I didn't want it to end. I think this will stay with me for some time.

Now the wait begins for her next release!

The Year I Met You
The Year I Met You
by Cecelia Ahern

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 23 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Year I Met You (Hardcover)
I have been a huge fan of Cecelia since a friend lent me Where Rainbows End. Usually I can't put them down and read the whole book in two or three days (by forcing myself to make it last). I particularly loved the more magical ones - A Place Called Here, If You Could See Me Now, The Book of Tomorrow, The Time of my Life... Ahern's books usually have a really unique angle. But the last few have been a bit bland, like maybe she is being pushed to rush out books before she has ideas for them? Like Thanks for the Memories, not much really happens and I just don't feel anything for the characters. Its evident she's done loads of research on downs syndrome but sometimes it feels more like an information book than a novel - its great to be realistic but it should flow with the story, especially when Heather is not the main character or plot. Im sad to say this was the first book by Ahern that I found easy to put down and forget about, and that I didn't feel compelled to pick up in every spare minute. I hope this and the few other slightly disappointing reads are just blips and she hasn't lost her magic. I only have one other author I get excited about so I don't want to lose my love of Cecelia!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I have missed something, 15 Feb. 2013
First off, I'm no expert. I generally use whatever brushes/pads etc come with products, or free samples. So you can see I am not too fussy, but maybe I am also not experienced enough to appreciate these. I don't know.

I bought these as I felt my brush collection was a bit limited, and reading about makeup techniques they often suggested using a type of brush I didn't have. These seemed a pretty full set. The case is handy and there is a bit of everything in here. A good start. My first problem was that all the brushes are pretty flat - rather than a rounded collection of bristles (as in a shaving brush) they all lie flat (think more like a rake shape, in a brush). Sorry, these are the only examples I can think of! It's not the end of the world, but I thought at least one rounded one should be included, to cover all uses. The main problem I had with these brushes is that they are TOO smooth and synthetic. Maybe it's because of the sort I am used to, but these were too smooth to pick up much makeup or deposit it on my face. They just sort of glided over the make up and then my skin - not in a smooth gentle way, but in a pointless, leaving no trace sort of way. I had to put loads of powder on the brush for any to come off on my face, wasting a lot. When I did manage to get them to transfer the makeup, I found I was focusing so much on the technique of getting the makeup from container to brush, and brush to face, that I had totally ignored HOW it should be applied to my face, and it looked as thought I had applied it without a mirror - leading to me wiping it off and starting again with one of my old brushes.

The spongey eyeshadow pad (I did say I wasn't an expert) is ok, and the comb one is good. But overall they were a waste of time, and I am still ad-libbing with my old limited set of brushes. Now I am also scared to expand my collection because I don't want to waste more money on brushes that seem suitable but don't actually work when it comes down to it.

If anyone feels this review is due to my own lack of expertise, PLEASE feel free to offer advice of how to get the best from these brushes! I will be glad to be informed of anything I am missing!

Les Misérables: Highlights From The Motion Picture Soundtrack
Les Misérables: Highlights From The Motion Picture Soundtrack

1.0 out of 5 stars How can it be highlights without some of the best songs, 15 Jan. 2013
My understanding of "highlights" is the best bits, or important parts? Not random bits of soudtrack? I sort of wish I hadn't bothered, as some of my favourite songs are missing.

Since seeing the film I have had Do You Hear the People Sing in my head and couldn't wait to have the recording - it gets 2 reprises in the film, features at pretty major points, and really reflects the spirit of revolution, so I don't see how it can not have been considered a highlight? Also, A Little Fall of Rain is one of the most moving songs in the film, and Who Am I is quite big, so I was disappointed neither of these are "highlights" either (although I accept these two could perhaps be more down to personal taste).

Instead, less memorable, more bland songs are on here. And some are pretty short, so I find it hard to believe there wouldn't have been room for one or two big anthems.

If my mom didn't particularly want this, I would probably have ordered another version that included the best songs. I feel a bit cheated, I can only assume its some sort of cynical decision for one reason or another, they can't genuinely believe some of the most memorable songs aren't the most popular?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2013 10:54 AM BST

The Sleep of Reason: The James Bulger Case
The Sleep of Reason: The James Bulger Case
by David James Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, if you are happy to form your own opinion, 2 July 2012
First off, I bought this book to help get a feel of the case which is vital in my dissertation, and from an academic point at first I was disappointed. This is clearly well researched and is very detailed, but sometimes too much (for example, I didn't care about the family history of police officers involved) and a lot of the detail about the police side of things felt a bit dry. Most of the book was purely narrative detail, with no analysis. However, while originally I saw this as a fault, whilst reading I began to see it as an asset, as this allows the facts of the case (and the boys' lives) to speak for themselves. Without media twists and tabloid headlines, you get an objective account, which you can assess for yourself as you read, and form your own views. The detail provided about the boys reactions throughout the legal process, and especially the summary of the psychologists reports, are revealing and thought-provoking without needing explaining or interpretation.

Smith really comes into his own in the epilogue though, where he gives his perspective of why this happened. The way Smith interprets the boys' lives and feelings makes total sense, and seems like the most probable and realistic accounts - in fact, afterwards I wondered why the question 'why' even needed asking as Smith made it seem so clear. It really reflects the way a 10 year old thinks and sees the world, rather than looking at the boys' actions from an adult view as many people do with this case. Though short,Smith goes far beyond 'they were disturbed' to really consider why these boys went so far, beyond other disturbed children, and how specific elements of their lives may have led to specific actions. As introduction, Smith also sets out research on a number of historical and modern cases where children have killed, which puts this case into far better context than media reports which present it as unique and never before heard of.

If you want analysis, arguments and perspectives, this probably isn't the book for you - there are others out there that giv the writers views and emotional response. I did think a lot of the first half could have been cut to remove some dull police details. But if you want an unbiased account of the facts of the case, an eye-opener, or a sensitive portrayal of two very troubled boys (in parts it made me cry) then I cant recommend this book enough.