Profile for N. Anderson > Reviews

Content by N. Anderson

N. Anderson "pavlov" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Scream
Scream

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm sorry I wasted my money, 6 April 2009
This review is from: Scream (Audio CD)
Having read the other reviews on here I really wish I'd read about this album before I bought it. Unfortunately I just saw it in the shop while I was buying something good, and just got this on a whim. Big mistake.

I'm all for artists evolving, but all this does is prove to me that Hip Hop is awful, however it's dressed up, and whoever sings it. It's a matter of taste, but this is so far away from mine that I really wish I could have my money back.

Chris Cornell has a good deal of talent, but it's well hidden beneath the awful production and the silly artificial noises. Trying something new is one thing, but completely alienating your fan base strikes me as a little naive, if not arrogant. I'm guessing you'll be seeing copies of this album in bargain-bins and charity shops for a few years to come...

Fear Of A Blank Planet
Fear Of A Blank Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year (so far)..., 18 April 2007
This review is from: Fear Of A Blank Planet (Audio CD)
What a great album this is. It has everything one might expect from PT: excellent musicianship; enough light and shade to keep you interested throughout; and no happy ending.

Other reviewers have gone into detail about each track, so I can't add a great deal. Anesthetize is certainly a stand-out track by dint of its length as well as the superb guitar work by Alex Lifeson of Rush, but the rest of the album is so beautifully crafted it bears repeated listening from the off.

It's interesting to read other reviews and, as with every other band, PT are damned if they do something different and damned if they don't! Purists don't like Deadwing and In Absentia because they are so different to The Sky Moves Sideways: 'Why do they have to change?'. Now there are complaints because they have made an album with tracks that draw too much from previous albums: 'Why don't they change their style?'... I think it just depends what you want from Porcupine Tree.

Whether you're new to this band or already a fan, I wholeheartedly recommend Fear Of A Blank Planet.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else
Offered by cdworld-ireland

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm so disappointed..., 16 April 2007
This review is from: Somewhere Else (Audio CD)
I've been a fan since I saw Marillion at the Gaumont in Ipswich before Script For A Jester's Tear was released... they've maintained such a high standard of musicianship over that period it's astounding. I have copies of just about everything they've recorded, and listened nostalgically to one of my 80s bootlegs the other day.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Geoffrey R and rabbit... Somewhere Else has few high points, and far too many lows. The album starts off fine, and See It Like a Baby was a fairly decent song for the first single; I really didn't expect it to be one of the more memorable tracks on the album, though. Speaking of memorable: Most Toys. I love the sentiment of the chorus, but I just have to skip past this track... I have never actively disliked a Marillion song before (except Margaret, but that doesn't really count).

The title track is good, though I'm not too sure about the lyrics, then the album just just runs towards the end as if there was no real enthusiasm...

Perhaps the lads have just set the bar so high they were never going to be able to maintain that standard every time... and when it comes to their musicianship it really can't be faulted. If you're new to Marillion, don't buy this - just about any other album would be a better place to start. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to album number 15 - everyone's allowed an off day!!

Eragon: Book One (The Inheritance Cycle)
Eragon: Book One (The Inheritance Cycle)
by Christopher Paolini

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - what is all the fuss about?, 21 Sept. 2006
I am a fan of `fantasy fiction', and keen on reading that written for `young adults' as it often tells a tale in a much more direct manner than when directed at the adult reader. I bought this book for my young niece as it was on her Christmas list, and she told me she enjoyed it. I had read good reviews, and because there is a film coming out soon starring some major people - not least Jeremy Irons and John Malkovich - I thought I'd borrow it and see what the fuss was about!

Unfortunately, I have to say this is one of the weakest attempts at writing I've read in a very long time. I know Mr Paolini is only young, and must be praised for attempting such a major undertaking, but given the lengthy list of family and friends who helped out, it is stuttering, with a weak grasp of descriptive English, and does not flow at all. There are so many contrivances that I often lost interest. Whenever something looks like it will get in the way of the plot, something conveniently happens to move it along. Characters appear to change to suit the plotline in the same way they do in Aussie Soaps.

I certainly did not expect to have found the new Tolkien, Tad Williams or Robin Hobb, but I had to cringe when one of the characters told Eragon his name was unique... and then told him he only knew of three others with that name! It's either unique or it isn't!

Having said all this, the actual tale is quite good, and I expect the film will be worth watching. Other reviewers have mentioned how derivative it is, but there again there are only so many combinations of fantastical beasts and races you can set against the backdrop of a magical land! It's a tale of good against evil, and as such it may be enough to keep people's interest.