Profile for David Houghton > Reviews

Content by David Houghton

David Houghton

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Evolution 2400W Electric Concrete Saw, 305 mm (230V)
Evolution 2400W Electric Concrete Saw, 305 mm (230V)

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected., 3 May 2015
Much better than expected, although I own a petrol stihl ts410 saw I thought I'd get this for the tones I've no petrol. I've used it for cut outs for patio doors and windows, paving slabs, block paving, render work etc.... Still on the first blade. I've even cut a couple of concrete and steel lintels with it. Only slight gripe is it has a slightly smaller blade than the petrol counterpart so doesn't cut as deep but does cut about 100mm.

Comes with 1 blade, instructions, spanner to remove blade. A carry case would have been a nice touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works !, 13 Jan. 2015
Really pleased with this, bought for my Samsung 13" laptop and worked perfect, I really like the more compact design. Great communication from seller too

40mm Dia Iron Cutter 6mm Metal Twist Drill Bit Hole Saw Tool Black
40mm Dia Iron Cutter 6mm Metal Twist Drill Bit Hole Saw Tool Black

5.0 out of 5 stars was like butter. Still looks like new too, 29 Dec. 2014
Drilled a hole in an aluminium sump for the oil sensor with ease, was like butter. Still looks like new too.

Brother compatible TN325 multiPack of 4 high quality Toner Cartridges (BK/C/M/Y) for: BROTHER DCP 9055 CDN / 9270 CDN ; HL 4140 CN / 4150 CDN / 4570 CDW / 4570 CDWT ; MFC 9460 CDN / 9465 CDN / 9970 CDW
Offered by Office Partner GmbH_1

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but one was damaged, 29 Dec. 2014
The toners are a good colour match for the printer (8250cdn) and there hasn't been any streaks or drum damage etc. I did have an issue with one of them as when I opened the bag Yellow toner went everywhere, it's horrible stuff to clean up. I have bought another set and hopefully that was just a one off.

Mr. Beams MB314 Wireless Battery Powered LED Spotlight with Motion-Sensing and Light-Sensing, 4-Pack, Brown
Offered by Mr Beams UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 15 Nov. 2014
I Don't know what the other reviewer has been smokin as these don't take AA or D batteries. They take C batteries which infact are shorter than AA so can't possible use encased AA.

Anyway, I can't comment on the lengevity or battery useage of these as I've only had them a week but my god are they good. I've bought them to light up a rarely used storage area in our mezzanine. It's totally pitch black up there and they turn on no problem the second we get within 20-30ft. We bought the four pack and they light up an area of about 2,500 sq ft (Pretty large), The cree style lighting element in these is amazing.

I'm about to buy another set for other areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for my wife and she loves it, ..., 30 Oct. 2014
Bought this for my wife and she loves it, can't believe I got it for £49.99.

The Solar charging element is working flawlessly

4.0 out of 5 stars great product, slow delivery, 27 Sept. 2014
Good product, fits prefect and starts in place well with the magnets.

Not impressed with the delivery time though. Bought on 27th August and had an estimated delivery of 4th-24th September. I was hoping they would be closer to the 4th but arrived today on 27th September. Exactly 1 month after ordering.

New Bright 1:14 Bad Street Velocity 6V Radio Control Vehicle (Colour Varies)
New Bright 1:14 Bad Street Velocity 6V Radio Control Vehicle (Colour Varies)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my 6 year old, 13 Jan. 2014
I can only presume the other reviewer had dud batteries or something.

I found this to great, firstly the appearance is amazing and much bigger than expected, the controller is quite small and light which was great for my son, I would say this is aimed at the 5-12 yr age range. Beyond that I would go for the XTRM Super Buggy (Which I also bought for my older son). This goes about running pace, any faster and it would be impossible for a child to control. I paid £19.99 and am very happy for the money. It didn't come with batteries (requires 8 x AA) which was dissapointing but I bought two packs of 8 x JCB Alkaline AAs from poundland and we're still on the first pack after well over an hours use.

The pictures really don't do this justice, it looks amazing.

Radio, Battleship
Radio, Battleship

5.0 out of 5 stars Managed to get this on Sale for £8.99 and Love it, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Radio, Battleship (Toy)
If used in floating the water the signal can be a bit dodgy but on the side of the bath it gives a solid reception, sound is good enough for a bathroom, totally water tight and looks great. My kids (and me) use it all the time.

Bargain if you can find it for under £10

VTech KidiGo (Pink)
VTech KidiGo (Pink)

5.0 out of 5 stars Has it's flaws but read my review to find out why i give it 5 Stars, 4 Jan. 2014
This review is from: VTech KidiGo (Toy)
Firstly I never bought this from Amazon, I found it in clearance at Co-Op for £15 in November 2013. I then spent a further £10 on the official case from amazon (which is great and has some great options but only stores the player not the headphones too).

OK About the player.

Why did I buy this? My son is 2 years old (I bought the blue version) and like most his age he loves the current offerings from Disney, Pixar, Sony etc.... The likes of Monsters inc, shrek and toy story, we travel a LOT so I was looking for something he could use himself, a tablet is too complicated and far too costly for a 2 year old.

Lets start with the flaws

1. Before you can do anything other than wtch a few demo movies you have to connect to the Vtech website and register the device, this went smoothly for me and took 5 minutes.
2. You can't just put your own movies on it and play them, it has VERY limited codec support.
3. No built in battery (this was an initial flaw but see below to find out why I think this is now a good thing).
4. Can't remove the demo videos
5. Headphones are a tad on the cheapo side.

So after all that why on earth did I give it 5 stars?

1. Once I had figured out how get our own movies on it I found it worked flawlessly (instructions below).
2. IT HAS A BUILT IN MICRO SD CARD SLOT... This shocked me, I wasn't aware of this at the time of purchase, I thought the 2gb built in was the max so two movies and that was it. It will hold up to 32gd Micro SDHC card. Personally I bought a 16gb Kingston from amazon for about £7... Don't be wasting money on class 10 cards it will make no difference, the one I got was class 4 and plays flawlessly (although a little slow putting the movies on via the laptop).
3. The device itself is very easy to use, my two year old can already turn it on, choose his movie, select the external speakers or plug his headphones in and control the volume, for two years old this is great. It's like it was designed for a child ;-)
4. The battery situation, yes it takes 4 x AA batteries not a built lithium cell.... BUT alhough this initially dissapointed me I am now glad this is the case. The batteries it came with lasted about two weeks and he used it every day, So I bought a charger and 8 x 2000MAH batteries from a supermaket for £14 (charger and 4 batteries were £10 and a spare set of batteries was £4, all duracel branded). Each set is lasting for about 20 hours of use, for a video player this is outstanding in my book. So when one set dies we just swap over and charge the other set. If we're going on holiday or something both sets are freshly charged and last the duration.
5. The design, It looks great and my son loves it, it feels well built with rubber edges so will hopefully last being bounced around.
6. The screen does have limited viewing angles but is surprisingly good picture quality.

I never bothered using the internal memory but if you do ensure the movies are placed into the video folder.

If using the Micro SD card slot ensure in the settings you have selected playback from external memory and place all videos created into a folder called 'VIDEO' (capitals)... If you insert the Micro SD card before putting movies on it the device will great all the folders for you which simplifies things....

So how to get movies to play?

Download a bit of software called Freemake Video converter. (It's free but when installing be sure to select custom installation so you can choose not to install all the "free" additional software it will give you like MYSEARCHBAR).

Select the movie you wish to convert from your PC, then select convert to AVI, then in the preset section select custom... The options you want are... Video codec XVID, Audio MP3... Frame size custom, 480 x 272. I also select adjustment to ZOOM so that it plays full screen on the device and has no black bars, this is personal preference though. Once converted stick the file in the VIDEO folder and that's it.... Each 90min ish movie takes about 20 mins to convert.

I personally think that although this does have it's flaws it is great value for money and has kept my son entertained for countless what would be boring car and plane journeys.

Any questions please ask.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2015 10:41 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3