Profile for Tim Bentley > Reviews

Content by Tim Bentley

Tim Bentley (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Nintendo Wii 26 in 1 Sports Pack (Tennis Racket , Golf Club , Baseball Bat , Wii Remote Holder , Remote Crystal cover , Games Controller Grip , Steering Wheel Controller Grip , Multi-Color Protector Sheet , Silicone Skin For Wii Remote , Silicone Skin For Wii Nunchuk , Padlock Hand Strap , 2 Dust Preventer Cover For Wii main console , Cleaning Cloth)

3.0 out of 5 stars Plasticky and poorly packaged but very functional, 25 Nov. 2009
I was a little surprised given the graphic posted by Amazon showing this collection of Wii compatible items to receive them all jumbled up in a plain cardboard box stuffed with packing chips. Okay so that's not much of a problem but if you buy this to give as a present then it looks a little knocked off. The items themselves are by their very nature a bit plasticky and not particularly well finished in the case of the racquet head, but each item does its job. If you want something that is functional but not astoundingly good looking then this item is a good buy and is at a good price. Also on the up side, despite coming from an Amazon shop rather than directly from them it arrived pretty quickly so no complaints there. Despite this collection being a little ugly, I bought it for me so the looks and packaging are much less important than functionality.

TDK T19884 52x Printable CDR-80 100 Piece Cakebox
TDK T19884 52x Printable CDR-80 100 Piece Cakebox

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice results - when they work., 25 Nov. 2009
These CDRs are something I've bought a lot of. I've been through around 600 of this brand and I have to say up until the last 200 I was happy to buy just this brand. The recent batch, however, has been poor. Roughly 25% have been just sitting in the drive and spinning. I use automated copiers and printers and the main reason for doing so is the speed of process. These TDK discs interrupt that and as time is money any saving on the media is lost in delays. I shan't be purchasing these discs again due to the lack of reliable consistency in this product. It is a shame as when they work they work really well, but I can't load the hopper and trust them any more. It seems from reading the low star rated reports that I'm not in much of a minority. Sorry TDK but you lost a customer.

Stargate [DVD]
Stargate [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kurt Russell
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning of a Growing Franchise, 13 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Stargate [DVD] (DVD)
Back in ancient Giza a large circular artefact is buried under some capstones. Later in the 1920s an archaeological dig uncovers the 'stone' ring and various items of jewellery all dedicated to the Egyptian sun god Ra. Then in the 1990s, Dr Daniel Jackson, a radical Egyptologist who is widely disbelieved by the academic community is co-opted into a project run by the USAF, a project researching the large ring. Jackson with his differing interpretation of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs rapidly solves the problem of the ring showing it to be a transportation device, a Stargate. Together with a USAF commando team lead by the recently returned from retirement Colonel Jack O'Neill, Jackson and co. head through the Stargate to another world; a world populated by 'Egyptians' and their gods. Can they return home? Can they prevent Ra from his plans of domination?

On the theatrical release of this movie I have to say that I was under whelmed, and to be quite honest disappointed with the whole experience. I watched it again, and perhaps on my initial viewing I wasn't particularly attentive but it seemed like a different much better movie. I've since been given the Directors Cut on sale here and once again I've found my enjoyment to be greater still. So what is it about this movie that takes time to engage with? Maybe the slowish middle after the initial excitement of Daniel Jackson (ably played by James Spader) solving the riddle of the Stargate had something to do with it. Maybe the wooden and often lacklustre performance by the supporting cast was the problem (excluding of course the excellent Kurt Russell as Jack O'Neill and the typecast Viveca Lindfors as the venerable Dr Catherine Langford). Maybe there have been so many theories about the Ancient Egyptians that we think, "Ho hum, here we go again". I just don't know. In the end, I've found myself really enjoying the film, especially in the light of the release of Stargate SG-1 on TV.

All in all an excellent movie (now it has grown on me) and one I recommend to Sci-fi fans wholeheartedly. A pity about the extra scene quality hence the four stars. One thing though, it can damage your knowledge of Egyptian history - I did watch opening sequences of "The Mummy Returns" and then wonder why the Jaffa weren't using their staff weapons to fight the Scorpion King!

Formula De
Formula De
Offered by Aimhighbookskreu

5.0 out of 5 stars As close as you can get to real motor racing!, 12 May 2008
This review is from: Formula De (Toy)
I played this game once. I went home, I looked on the 'net and bought one. I have never been so impressed with a board game. The flow of the game is excellent with clear easy to follow rules and some realistic advanced options. Not suitable for very young players as some of the playing pieces are quite small, however, it is exciting enough to engage all ages. The tracks supplied are fantastic - I would suggest though that you try and collect all of them for variety in your racing.

The game can be played with two players but it is as dull as Scalextric with just two. Get a full complement of ten players spread across five teams and watch for that exciting first corner! Honestly, racing car board games have reached their pinnacle with Formula De. A fantastic game and one I wholeheartedly recommend that you buy.

Sony HDR-FX1 The World's First High Definition Camcorder
Sony HDR-FX1 The World's First High Definition Camcorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, Reliable, great optics, 28 Feb. 2008
In this day and age why buy an older technology CCD HDV camcorder when there are others with newer CMOS optics? Well right now, the CMOS technology is good but it isn't great, especially in low light. The older triple CCD equipped cameras like the HDR-FX1 and the HVR-Z1 work better in lower light than the newer FX7s.

I've had an FX1 for a while now and must say that I'm very happy with my purchase. The quality of material I've shot is excellent using Sony HDV tapestock and the playback is top end. The camera manual controls are a dream with an excellent zoom ring close enough to the focus ring for the nimble fingered to use one handed, but far enough apart for a separate focus puller to use without getting in the way. The weight of the unit is good, not too much for hand held use. I like the top mounted view screen like the Z1's and I've found the on board mic to be surprisingly good.

I would suggest the purchase of a NP970 (or equivalent) extended life battery - why do Sony ship the orderinary one at all? along with a decent tripod. I've used bith Vinten and Manfrotto tripods with this camera and to be honest can't decide which I like the best, but make sure you get one with a good fluid head suitable for HDV camcorders. The audio in is a 3.5mm minijack but a Beathtek adapter will add a couple of XLR connectors without the expense of having to stump up for a Z1 camera instead.

A great camcorder and I'll have to be seriously impressed with something else before I replace it.

Sony GV-HD 700 Video Recorder
Sony GV-HD 700 Video Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! A brilliant tape deck and preview monitor, 28 Feb. 2008
I've had this item for two months now. I bought it specifically to take the wear and tear (and hours) away from my HDV camera's tape drive and to provide a firewire output monitor. I could not be more happy with my purchase. The tape drive uses the same batteries as my HDR-FX1 camera, it has all the interfaces I could use plus HDMI and the screen quality is marvellous. It is like having a little studio with you.

I honestly can't find anything I don't like about this unit. The HDV 1080i output is marvellous via component or HDMI - full HD would have been nice, but as my camera only goes up to HDV, where would the benefit have been. I've used it as a tape drive to record projects from my editing system and I've been very impressed with the output. So impressed I've taken to carrying it with me to clients to show them rough cuts of their commissions - no worrying about power, sound or a DVD drive, this device covers all the bases and I can't recommend it to prosumer and indie film makers enough.

Dragonlance: Dragons Of Autumn Twilight (2007) [Region 1][NTSC] [DVD]
Dragonlance: Dragons Of Autumn Twilight (2007) [Region 1][NTSC] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Will Meugniot
Offered by Newtownvideo_EU

2.0 out of 5 stars What have you done???, 28 Feb. 2008
The Dragonlance novels are perhaps the best known series of books spawned by the Fantasy Role Playing Game Dungeons and Dragons. The extensive list of Dragonlance books starts (not chronologically) with the Dragons of Autumn Twilight, now made into an animated film reviewed here. I really enjoyed the books and waited with bated breath for the release of a film. Okay so it was animated and not live action (damn you Peter Jackson for setting my expectations so high! :-)) but the cover looked right and I recognised my favourites, Tanis, Tas, Caramon etc. Then I put the disc in my player....

First off, the DVD was region 1 and not region 2 as listed. Not an issue for me but those with region locked hardware won't have been able to 'enjoy' their purchase. Then there's the film itself - whatever were they thinking? The animation is so poor that the original D&D Cartoon series was better presented. One reviewer mentioned the 80s offering "He-man", if only they aspired to such high production values! The voice acting was lacklustre at best and the quality of the widescreen print was just desperate.

Why mix flat animation with partial CGI? Why engage the likes of Keifer Sutherland to do the voice acting for Raistlin and then allow such a weak performance? Why do such a poor job that the story is now unlikely to be continued in film? All in all a dreadful effort and I suggest you don't bother with this film, especially if you're a fan of the Dragonlance books. I've given it two stars for the script which was faithful to the novel, otherwise I'd have been looking for a zero stars option.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for the budding Spielberg, 19 Dec. 2007
This offering from Sony is a great addition to their range and an absolute godsend for low budget and amateur film makers. The standard definition DV mode is marvellous with 16:9 anamorphic stored movies transferring easily into widescreen editors such as Pinnacle, Avid and Final Cut (Express and Pro). The 1080i HDV capture is better still (unsurprisingly!), and the built in stereo microphones produce a good audio capture too. The battery life with the standard battery is not fantastic so I would recommend the NP970 extended life batteries as an immediate purchase, and while the audio is good I would suggest the use of the shoe mount and the purchase of a decent shotgun mike such as a Rode or Sennheiser unit.

Using the camera is a dream with a decently sized LCD panel and good colour viewfinder. You are though limited in some areas - watch the white balance when filming under mercury lights or the dreaded neon strip lights. The Auto setting is often better than the manual. When capturing footage to an NLE like Final Cut, I would recommend that you set your output to DV or HDV as appropriate rather than leaving it on auto - I had the occasional glitch streaming onto the computer where it failed to detect the format properly.

The weight of the unit is fine, the 20x optics excellent and the slow wide and tight control on the handle is very useful when going 'hand held'. I would urge you to consider a wide angle lens as an extra, and to get yourself a decent tripod to properly steady your quality cam. Additionally, the audio input from external source is 3.5mm minijack so you might want to think about a XLR converter - I used the Beachtek unit compatible with the FX7 and the older Sony FX1.

A great camera and a great starter for making professional quality movies

Sennheiser HD215 Closed Back Headphone
Sennheiser HD215 Closed Back Headphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Cans - Amazing Quality, 22 Nov. 2007
I bought this set of cans on the recommendation of a company that I bought a video camera from. The Amazon price was, as ever, cheaper and so it came from here. The cans are marvelous - the closed ear pieces are really good for usage in areas with a lot of sound; in my case filming during noisy events. They're light, comfortable, and come with a 3.5mm stereo jack with a 1/4" jack converter. You even get a protective drawstring bag to put the headphones in.

Do your research by all means, but in my opinion, this is the best set of headphones in the price bracket.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2008 2:01 PM GMT

Sony High Definition Mini DV Tapes 63mins (Pack 3)
Sony High Definition Mini DV Tapes 63mins (Pack 3)
Offered by TapeCity

5.0 out of 5 stars The Right Tape for your HDV Camcorder, 22 Nov. 2007
Okay so miniDV tapes and HDV tapes can come in the same shape and size and some camcorders will let you write 1080i to your regular miniDV tapes but you are not going to get the best results unless you use the right tape for the camcorder. After switching to HDV with a Sony Camcorder and after using some high quality non-HDV miniDV tapes I switched my tape stock to Sony HDV tapes. Believe me I haven't looked back! The change in quality of recorded material is marked - colours and definition are that much more pronounced and unlike regular miniDV written to HDV content, there is no risk of frame dropout.

Why buy a quality camcorder and hobble it with inferior tape stock? You're compromising your content and not saving very much money in the long run.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2008 10:41 PM BST