Profile for L. Mills > Reviews

Those Who Wait: Finding God in Disappointment, Doubt and Delay
Those Who Wait: Finding God in Disappointment, Doubt and Delay
by Tanya Marlow

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and creative, 17 Oct. 2017
This book is a tenderly written, creative piece of writing that is equally useful for individual or group use - and indeed it is meant to be so. Using storytelling as a way of drawing the reader in, the book focuses on the stories of Sarah and Isaiah in the Old Testament, and John and Mary in the new. It also supplies questions and exercises for reflection, together with some beautiful prayers. A work of love. If I had one quibble is that occasionally there is a turn of phrase that doesn’t quite sound authentic to the culture, rather too modern for the character using it, but that is minor indeed. Ideal for Advent, but not exclusively so, this book draws the reader into the tender pain that is waiting, reflecting on those who have ‘waited’ before us and encouraging us to consider our own times of waiting and what of God we might find in them.

Kitchen Craft Sweetly Does It Cake Decorating Brush, Set of 5
Kitchen Craft Sweetly Does It Cake Decorating Brush, Set of 5

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 31 Mar. 2017
I was disappointed with the quality of these but I needed them on day of delivery so they had to do. The packaging is cardboard with a 'open' section displaying the brushes so not v hygienic. The bristles were uneven and some coming out. I prewashed with cool water as instructed but a gluey substance came off them and the tips refused to be 'shaped into a point'. This is especially annoying with the finest brush as I needed that one most and now I can't do what I wanted - certainly not to any good standard.

I'd have done better to buy a brand new fine paintbrush and washed that instead.

A Shed in a Cucumber Field
A Shed in a Cucumber Field

4.0 out of 5 stars A tale of forgiveness, 28 Jan. 2017
A character-driven novel about two sisters and how they have been driven/imprisoned by their past. The book eases into its story gently, bringing the two sisters back together after years of estrangement and describing the turmoil that results as old secrets are laid bare and the characters are forced to be honest with one another. The author teases the reader, telling us that there is still more to be known and confessed, throughout the book.

It is took me a while to warm to Vic, but then it could be said that she herself took a while to become warm again, as she held on to so much bitterness and unforgiveness, making her initially quite a 'hard' character. However it becomes clear to her that she needs to be released from the chains of her past and that repentance needs to be as real in her life as it is in her sister's, and that as well as forgiving others, she needs to be forgiven herself.

The author writes with empathy; occasionally I felt the dialogue could be a bit snappier, but the threads are woven well and come together in a satisfying conclusion.

Destiny's Rebel
Destiny's Rebel

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely story, 14 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Destiny's Rebel (Kindle Edition)
Absorbing and satisfying, this young adult novel is a pleasure to read. Follow the adventures of Kat and her struggles with her own destiny - but is she rebelling as much as she thinks she is? What does the Divine actually hold for her future?

An enjoyable, undemanding book with memorable characters and a compelling plot.

Leitz Wow 40 Pocket Display Book - Ice Blue
Leitz Wow 40 Pocket Display Book - Ice Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice item, shame about scratch, 11 Jan. 2017
A nice folder suitable for my needs and I love the colour. However there is a scratch on the back - not that noticeable but I like to make my own scratches (!). I would have chosen a scratch free one in a shop. Unfortunately I needed to use it the day it was delivered - that's why I got it - so had no time to return should I have decided to bother. The downside of online ordering!

Fearful Symmetry (The Secret of the Journal)
Fearful Symmetry (The Secret of the Journal)

4.0 out of 5 stars Secret of the Journal series, 9 Jan. 2017
I'm writing this review having read the whole series, so will have to be careful not to give too many spoilers!

For me, reviewing the series as a whole makes sense because each book is very dependent on the others. I'm afraid you can't read them as standalone, which may be a negative or a positive, depending on your reading preferences.

Dunn writes in a compelling way which makes you keep on reading. Her style is easy to read and descriptive without feeling too cluttered. She doesn't 'over write' things. She is adept at weaving tension and suspense, and characters are drawn in such a way to hold your interest and indeed your affection, although sometimes I found Emma's obsession with Matthew a little too 'besotted' for my taste.

There is something faintly Twilight-esque about the plot - no vampires! - but characters who do not fit the definition of standard 'mortal', both the lead male character and his family, seen from the viewpoint of an apparently more 'limited' female character who falls head over heels in a very intense way. I don't want to give away more than that. I didn't grasp what genre I was reading until a little way in to Mortal Fire.

Once I started I had to finish, though as I say, this feels like one story over five parts, rather than five stories with a progressive thread. If you want a binge read of a compelling series, this is for you - and easier to do now they have all been published (I read each as it came out, and there was no question of not buying the next one).

The author's love of history comes across very strongly. Historical places are described with ease and with care; anyone with an interest in family history - or indeed family ties in general - will also find a thread they enjoy following here.

Well done to CF Dunn (!) on this series, which has rightly made her name as an author worth her salt.

Realm of Darkness (The Secret of the Journal)
Realm of Darkness (The Secret of the Journal)

4.0 out of 5 stars Secret of the Journal series, 9 Jan. 2017

Rope of Sand (The Secret of the Journal)
Rope of Sand (The Secret of the Journal)

4.0 out of 5 stars Secret of the Journal series, 9 Jan. 2017

Death Be Not Proud (The Secret of the Journal)
Death Be Not Proud (The Secret of the Journal)

4.0 out of 5 stars Secret of the Journal series, 9 Jan. 2017

Mortal Fire (The Secret of the Journal)
Mortal Fire (The Secret of the Journal)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Secret of the Journal series, 9 Jan. 2017