Profile for John Watkins > Reviews

Pride [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ Ben Schnetzer
Offered by Amore DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride Indeed, 27 May 2015
Brilliant film - easily the best film of 2014 in my view. You don't have to be Welsh or gay to love his film - if you've got a beating heart this film will be perfect for you. Enjoy!

Strange Trails
Strange Trails

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant album from Lord Huron, 27 May 2015
This review is from: Strange Trails (Audio CD)
Difficult second album? Lord Huron make it look easy. While continuing in a fairly similar vein to the phenomenal 'Lonesome Dreams' debut there is a sense that this an even more mature sound with a few nods to Johnny Cash (bass line rather than vocal) and the overall feel of adventuring in travel and love. I don't really understand how Lord Huron remain so firmly under the radar (particularly here in the UK) as their music is so accessible and uplifting. I would recommend both albums equally and my guess is that if you buy one, the other won't be far behind. Go for it.

Lonesome Dreams
Lonesome Dreams
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album of 2013 by a Country Mile, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Lonesome Dreams (Audio CD)
I bought this album in January last year and have barely listened to anything else since. I also saw them live on their UK tour and the set was as good as anything I've seen in the last decade.

I'm not sure I fully agree with the Fleet Foxes comparisons although I do understand why - my feeling is that Lord Huron are fairly unique delivering what I would describe as 'Feel Good Americana'. It's an uplifting set of tunes for sure and I would recommend delving back into their catalogue to pick up the track 'Stranger' if you find yourself enjoying this album.

Time To Run
Time To Run

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 brilliant tracks, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Time To Run (MP3 Download)
This is a wonderful set of tracks - recommended to fans of folk or Americana and a great live gig if you get a chance

White Boy With A Feather
White Boy With A Feather
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this CD on the strength of Cherokee, 21 Nov. 2001
I have to admit I made a huge error of judgement in buying this CD. I love the single Cherokee but it is not a gauge of what you will get on the rest of the CD. The rapper that features on the majority of the tracks is amateurish at best and his lyrics are childish in the extreme.