Profile for Jim > Reviews

Content by Jim

Jim

De'Longhi Nescafé Dolce Gusto Jovia Manual Coffee Machine EDG250.R - Red
De'Longhi Nescafé Dolce Gusto Jovia Manual Coffee Machine EDG250.R - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed I'm really glad I got this in the sales ..., 27 Dec. 2014
Disappointed I'm really glad I got this in the sales and paid a fraction of the retail price otherwise I'd be truly gutted. First the instructions are rubbish, all pictures. Download the user manual and read that instead.

I naively assumed this would dispense the correct amount of water for each pod type. It doesn't you have to fanny about and manually deliver the correct amount of water for each pod type. With each pod type requiring different quantities of water this will make using the machine anything but easy. I defy any to know how much 35ml of coffee looks like (expresso) when being dispensed through the machine.

I did have a Phillips Senseo which was easy, stick the pad in and press the button. I only got this because of the range of pods, but due to the fact it is so fiddly and complicated to make the drinks I think I'll end up buying another more automated machine.

It got three stars because of the price I paid, if I'd paid full whack it would have got two.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2015 11:45 AM GMT

Sony BDPS4100 Smart 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (discontinued by manufacturer)
Sony BDPS4100 Smart 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 27 Dec. 2013
Installed with very little effort. I purchased primarily for the network, Lovefilm and Netflix features.

Starts up, and loads DVD's quickly

I have tested this using mp4, avi and mkv files. Plays them all via network, USB and DVD disk.

Nice design, although the USB front cover is a bit fiddly.

Shame ITV player and 4OD is missing, this has not been around for such a long time on Sony devices I feel it will never appear.

The user interface is not the most user friendly, and could probably do with a re-vamp.

This is Wi-Fi 'ready', you will need a Wi-Fi dongle to hook up wirelessly.

For the money this is a very good Blu-Ray player. Not 5 starts due to interface and missing ITV Player and 4OD.

Seagate ST31000524AS 3.5 inch Barracuda 1TB GB 7200rpm SATA Drive with 32MB Buffer
Offered by Extreme_Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars What can you say, 12 Jan. 2013
It's a hard drive. You install it the same as any other hard drive and it works like any other hard drive.

It's probably faster than my old one because it has higher spec, however I'm only human so can't really notice millisecond improvement in speeds.

Please note it is a bare drive so comes with no screws or cables etc.

CPR Call Blocker V108 - 1000 Number Blocking - 200 Pre Programmed - Block All Unwanted Calls At The Touch Of A Button
Offered by CPR Call Blocker EU

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Product, 5 Jan. 2013
I have been looking at this for a while as I have been plagued by nuisance cold calls ever since my wife took part in a 'survey' from a cold caller!

Before discovering this product I took out a service from my telecom company which cost £3.25 a month and only allowed me to block ten numbers. This was clearly not sufficient for my needs.

So I took the plunge and got the call blocker.

First surprise was how small it was, it really is quite small.

Installation is a breeze, in fact it took longer to get it out of the packaging! I was up and running in a few minutes.

Cost, I initially thought £50 was steep, but considering I've been paying £3.25 a month for something a lot less useful I think this is good value for money.

The number of cold calls has virtually stopped and I've only had to 'zap' two calls.

I would like to see this technology licensed to phone manufacturers and built into phones.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2013 11:11 AM GMT

VTX3D 2GB Radeon HD 5450 DDR3 PCI-E 2.1 Graphics Card
VTX3D 2GB Radeon HD 5450 DDR3 PCI-E 2.1 Graphics Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 18 Mar. 2012
Delivered quickly and a piece of cake to install. I had already downloaded the latest driver package from the AMD website before installation, rather than use the outdated drivers that came with the CD. The installation process took no more than 5 mins.

The card is silent due to it having a heat-sink and no fan. According to SIW the card temp. reached a max of 61 Celsius after a days work, so no issues with heat.

This card has been fitted to a system with a 300w PSU, this is 50w below the minimum quoted but after two days of constant use I have had no issues.

I am no a gamer so can not comment, however my daughter plays her Sims 2 with no issues and at the highest settings.

If you get excited over the Windows Experience Index you will be disappointed as this only rates the Aero element of the test at 4.1, only 0.9 higher than the on-board 64mb graphics it replaced!

Overall very please, at £40 you really can't go wrong.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2013 5:30 PM BST

Sony SMPN100B USB Media Player with Built-in Wi-Fi
Sony SMPN100B USB Media Player with Built-in Wi-Fi

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could easily be better., 5 Jan. 2012
Very pleased with the media player so far. Installation was easy although linking my Lovefilm account was hampered by Sony's website incorrectly thinking I was in the US, and Sony staff insisting I was using a proxy server! I waited an hour and tried again and it linked the account without any further problems.

I have a Buffalo NAS which has built in DLNA capability and have experienced no problems streaming from the NAS drive to the media player.

I was dubious about how the wireless capability would fair when streaming from Lovefilm and other online services however the quality is excellent with no pauses or waiting to catch up, even when streaming HD content from iPlayer. My router is about 5 metres from the media player, line of site with a download speed of circa 12mb.

BBC iPlayer content seems to be limited to the past week; however CH5 on Demand has an enormous library of past programs.

Cons

A shame Sony still have not added ITV Player and 4OD as this would in my view make this the perfect media player.

No USB port at the rear, which means it all looks a bit cluttered if you have a portable HDD permanently connected. Surely an extra port on the back wouldn't have broken the bank?

Inputting text in the search boxes is fiddly via the remote.

.MKV files will play via the USB but I cannot stream them from my NAS drive.

Kodak ESP5210 All-In-One Inkjet Printer with Built-in Wi-Fi
Kodak ESP5210 All-In-One Inkjet Printer with Built-in Wi-Fi

4.0 out of 5 stars Noisy but cheap to run, 8 Jun. 2011
I purchased this printer to replace my Epson which was becoming prohibitively expensive to run. Setup was a breeze, it is connected to my PC via a USB cable and wirelessly to two laptops.

It's probably the nosiest printer I've owned, after pressing the power on button it seems to take an age to fire up, so long that the first time I thought it was broken. Start-up is a noisy affair with clunking and whirring.

I've had no issues with paper jams, I've used paper, envelops and printer paper (A4 and 4"x6") with absolutely no issues.

Print quality is good and even in draft mode the quality is very good. However printing is also very noisy.

The ink seems to last for ages, had it two weeks now with plenty of colour and text printing and the ink levels are showing almost full still, and this is with the factory cartridges which I understand contain less ink than the standard ones. I also purchased a set of refills (black & colour) for £14.49 incl P&P, this is less than half what I was paying for my Epson cartridges.

In summary cheap to run, good quality printing but a bit noisy.

Kodak Genuine 10BXL Ink Cartridge - Black (770 Pages)
Kodak Genuine 10BXL Ink Cartridge - Black (770 Pages)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Cheaper to buy the XL, 27 May 2011
Don't be fooled into buying the XL cartridge. 2 normal cartridges will cost you 32p more but give you 850 pages in total compared to the 770 from the XL cartridge.