Profile for Swonky > Reviews

Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Hold/ Shine Moisture Mist 236 ml
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Hold/ Shine Moisture Mist 236 ml
Offered by Sahara Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Best haircare product EVER!, 10 April 2016
Simply put; best haircare product I have ever used. It has, along with an increase in vitamins and some omega oils, helped to save my hair from all being shaved off in utter frustration and despair. My hair was brittle, fly away and couldn't' be brushed, lank and dry and thinning. I use natural shampoos, have never coloured it etc. but due to ill health my hair was in a terrible way having once been thick and curly. I came onto Amazon looking for a 'spray' coconut oil as I love coconut for my hair, but isn't that user friendly as it needs to be warmed, can get greasy on hands and clothes. I stumbled upon this as 'coconut moisture' and as it's free of chemical crap I thought I'd give it a go. Wow. It is completely amazing!

Firstly, it smells divine - coconut-y and vanilla-y and stays on all day (people say 'Oh your hair smells nice!') which is lovely. It's a fine mist that I spray on when wet and then use it before brushing when dry every time to stop it going fly away and add volume. When wet, it adds moisture to the hair and when I tie it back, it then sets it into my natural curl. When dry, it will visibly make my hair go from flat to bouncy when brushed - not sure how it does it, it's magic (clearly).

If you are looking to add volume, moisture and set a style then honestly, buy this now.

PS. It's a sad state of affairs to have to write this on Amazon these days, but this is an honest review - wasn't asked to do it, received nothing for it. Just my opinion, and written because I love it.

In Car Holder for Apple Iphone 6 / 6 Plus / 5 / 4 / 4s / 3G / 3 and IPOD series 2015 Model
Offered by Best Digital Market

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality, 17 Mar. 2016
Just about does the job but the poor quality of the ball pivot/fit means that it has no real tension so my iphone just flops forward with gravity - will not stay at the correct degree to follow maps however I move it or place it etc. The clip is fine and holds the phone secure however, so half way there! Better to pay more money and have a better build quality.

The Provincial Lady - The Complete Series
The Provincial Lady - The Complete Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars for the Book - DO NOT BUY THIS COPY THOUGH!, 5 July 2015
A book whose title does not hint at the delights within - I expected very little from the title and started to read it, bored, in a hospital waiting area as this was the only thing downloaded to my kindle app that I'd bought in a 'Oooh, 99p' moment. Gosh, what I would have missed had I not started - within four pages, it had become a book I knew I would re-read for the rest of my life and fell headlong into 'her' world of pure Englishness in all it's awkward, semi-truthful, mortifying social wonderfulness. Never has the planting of bulbs seemed such an excruciating social problem, or a hat purchase so poised on the knife edge of social failure. This all sounds utterly outdated and meaningless to modern readers but it isn't, it's sparkling with the most suble of wit, this is Adrian Mole in a country house in the 20's. A clever, clever, clever writer and this is a timeless classic.

HOWEVER, do NOT BUY this version, buy a proper paper copy of this book which you will treasure forever and re-read over and over again as this woeful 'kindle edition' is so littered with typos I'm sure someone was drunk when they typed it up. Double/tripple letters, missing letters, missing *words*, illogical words (i.e. "ffiyaaug said...") and at times, totally unreadable. We are talking 20 per page at times. How on earth anyone can charge money for this is a mystery to me.

Thornit Ear Powder, 20 g
Thornit Ear Powder, 20 g
Offered by Thornit Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Every dog owner needs this!, 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Thornit Ear Powder, 20 g (Misc.)
A little miracle in a pot!

My dog has long ears and has 'flappy' sessions where her ears bother her. After putting Thornit in, she's happy again. Never had to go to the vets with any ear problems and it keeps her ears clean. Could not do without this little gem!

Russell Hobbs 20070 Cambridge Kettle, 1.7 L, 3000 W - Brushed Stainless Steel Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Kettle, Brilliant Price!, 22 Mar. 2015
We splashed out on an expensive Dualit kettle a year ago thinking it would last for years....it was not turning iteslf off after 11 months and the top hardly opened. So, this time we decided to just buy a cheap(er) kettle and replace when needed. What we didn't expect was to find this exceptional kettle at such an affordable price! I'd go so far as to say this is the best kettle I've ever bought.

It is stainless steel which is important for us as I hate the taste of drinks brewed in solid plastic and there is no element inside meaning nothing gets furred up...brilliant! it is easy to turn on and off and work like a dream - average boiling time I'd say. Yes, it has no LED lights or water gage but honestly these things just aren't needed, it's over design. You can see when you fill the kettle up how much you've put in (and there is a little meter inside to show 1 cup etc.) and can feel how much is left by picking it up and lights is just an extra that serves no real purpose.

Can't recommend this enough!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2015 8:00 AM GMT

Natorigin Black Lengthening Mascara 6g
Natorigin Black Lengthening Mascara 6g

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, but...., 22 Mar. 2015
This is a natural mascara that looks as good if not better than 'standard' ones and as such, is worthy of praise. The black is thick and goes on easily creating a solid look. When I first put it on I am *very* impressed.

However, sadly it shreds and shreds quite easily....PANDA EYES! Every day by the afternoon I have shreds of black under my eyes and it just doesn't stay on. The packaging is also naff - cheap plastic and not exactly attractive to take out of your bag and the very slim design means that the mascara gets gloopy around the top and there's wastage as this has to be removed in order to effectvely get the brush back in without smearing it up the wand/top.

Haivng said that, after many hours of research on natural mascars I've not found one that didn't mention shredding so I think is is to be expected without chemicals to keep standard mascara in place so if you want a mascar that looks great when applied this is probably the best out there.

COOLEAD Foldable HD Headphones Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Music Headset (Hands Free Calling, Built-in Microphone, A2DP/AVRCP)
Offered by COOLEAD

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange pair of headphones, 22 Mar. 2015
Pros
-Lightweight and foldable for travelling
-A different design and could be worn with a hat in the winter without that big banding arcoss the top as with most others.
-Work well as Bluetooth headphones, sound quality is as good as any other headphone I've ever tried.

Cons
-Entirely dependent on head shape to be able to wear - I can get away with it as I'm a woman and often have a ponytail so the band sits atop that and stays in place, but no one else in my family can use them as they slip down however they place them. If I have no pontytail I am constantly hoiking them up/adjusting them and as such, they're not comfortable or practical.
-Not adjustable - see above.
-You can't wear these to lie in bed and watch something as the band around the back of the head makes them uncomfortable.
-It has a flashing blue light on the side which is annoying to everyone else - I get told to take them off when I'm in the room with the family as it annoys them. Be very annoying on public transport, especially if it's dark-ish, very anti-social.

In short, there are plenty of bluetooth headphones on the market, I wouldn't recommend these as a purchase.

Copertura impermeabile per sedile posteriore auto, per trasporto animali
Copertura impermeabile per sedile posteriore auto, per trasporto animali
Offered by worldofbargain888

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 22 Mar. 2015
This is a cheap and poorly constructed item.

The palstic snaps that are needed to keep the whole cover in place, those around the straps for the headreasts, are so flimsy that they have zero tension- they slip in and out without any need to press the sides to release as with a proper quality snap and therefore of *course* they come apart the minute any weight is applied via a dog. Useless!

I've used it on two car journey's so far and on both, the snaps came apart as soon as my dog moved around and the whole thing was left in a pile on the seat as all the snaps came apart.

The rest of the item is ok, the fit is good and it's got a good weight to the material but is totally let down by the quality of the fastenings.

Don't waste your money.

Optimum 400 Revolutionary Cold Press Slow Juicer, 150 Watt, Red
Optimum 400 Revolutionary Cold Press Slow Juicer, 150 Watt, Red

2.0 out of 5 stars Overall dissapointed - Had to return for a refund, 20 Jan. 2015
I did a lot of research before buying the Optimum 400 Juicer - I wanted to improve my nutrition and adopt a 'juiced' diet as much as possible to improve my health. I read about blenders .v. juicers and decided that juicing was the best option. This juicer seemed to offer everything I wanted. However, after battling with it for a week I have returned it for a refund. Here is waht I found.

Positives:

If you are looking for a way to make a lovely glass of orange juice then this would be a good, if expensive way of doing it. It's a better way than hand squeezing certainly. It's also very quiet.

Negatives:

Well firstly, for me - it didn't meet the requirements of 'jucing for nutrition'. The amount of waste is HUGE! For a juice that made one and a bit standard glass size, I had to empty the waste jug three times. Not only did this fill up all my compost waste bin within a few days (and if you don't have a garden to use compost on, it's on your food waste bin which in my case is tiny) but I felt that I was spending a lot of money on organic, fresh vegetables and then throwing what felt like 90% away as waste. Plus, furuther reading on the topic showed that I am wasting valuable fibre which is really needed to digest the nutrition I am drinking.

It is also a very expensive endeavour, which is fine if you are committed to jucing as a lifestyle, but I did not find that I got a huge amount of juice for the sheer amount of fruit/veg I was using. Some vegetables produced very little juice (i.e. celery). If you have your own vegetable patch or access to a lot of fruit/veg this may not be an issue but I foudn it wasn't cost effective for me.

The other big problem I had was that it didn't juice as effectively as the info lead me to believe (I even watched the videos from the maker). The first time I used the juicer, I did a pure pineapple juice and what with setting it up (see below) and the three times I had to dismantle it to unblock it it took me 2 hours to produce 2 glasses. Any fiberous fruit/veg gets stuck no matter how small I cut the pieces or how slolwy I fed them in or that I put them in last (I read the instruction book carefully). The pineapple in particular was so jammed in the waste pipe I had to take the entire thing apart mid juice. Same thing with kale and celery. In a week and a half of using it I did not make one juice without having to use the blunt end of the cleaning brush to haul out all the jammed 'waste'. It coped fine with carrots and beetroot but I didn't find it fit for purpose with anything more challening. There was also a lot of 'pulp' left in my juices - sometimes that's fine if it's an orange juice for example, but bits of unmashed kale in a juice I am 'glugigng back' wasn't very plesant. I found myself having to run the juice through 2 or 3 times to make it clearer.

I also found it *very* difficult to assmble. Maybe I'm just not very co-ordinated, but getting the bowl, inner shreaders, ball and lid on took three people the first time and we all became frustrated. It did get slightly easier with practice, but unlike say a KitchenAid product that all just slides into place with no effort whatsoever, this takes wiggling and aligning and pushing. Having to do this many times *during* a juice with slippery fingers made me see red and I became so frustrated with it.

Other little quibbles; It is quite large, heavy and bulky with the juicing bowls next to it - if you have a small kitchen or not a lot of worktop space this would take up a fair amount of room. Having to cut the produce into such small pieces was also quite time consuming compared to say, whole blenders where you can put a whole apple in. I would also have liked, for the price, to have a better quality of assembly with a glass bowl - some of the plastic bits had the look of being easily broken with a lot of use.

So, if you are a huge juicing pro and *want* this very specific style of juicer then this product is 'ok', but the design is problematic especially the waste shute which is far too small to cope with the waste it has to eject but if you want a quick, easy and fully nutritious juice then this is not for you.

I have returned it and bought a Nutribullet instead which seems to be the best of both worlds between Blender and Juicer. That way I can add in nuts, seeds and other superfoods to make one tasty drink with all the fibre still intact rather than a pure juice which, I'll be honest, I never managed to make taste nice. :/
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2015 6:35 PM GMT

HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer
HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer
Offered by SEDIVA UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Tempremental on a Mac!, 31 Oct. 2014
I read the reviews carefully before buying this printer as I'd had a Lexmark before with ink costs more than the thing cost to buy in the first place and was determined not to be caught again! This does have cheaper ink costs, which is in it's favour but that's where the positive ends for me. I'm afraid I don't share the other customers priase for this!

I am on a Mac and although this says it's compatible it is highly tempremental and works about 3 out of 10 attempts. It was a nightmare to set up with no wifi recognised and it took me hours of online forum help to sort it out. It constantly has an error sign when I click print and it is always saying 'load paper tray' when it's loaded. Cancel, start again - same thing. Etc. etc. etc. I can never just press print and have it print something. Ever.

When it prints, it sounds like a pig being tortured frankly - a horrible, nails down a balckboard scratching sound. I have to leave the room.The printing quality is ok to poor - photos, forget it! Probably the worst printer I've ever bought and only does for the very basic of job with a lot of patience!

Page: 1 | 2