Profile for Mr. Nicholas Lea > Reviews

The World's End [DVD]
The World's End [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg

5.0 out of 5 stars A hardcore version of Shaun of the Dead., 12 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The World's End [DVD] (DVD)
OK. I'll be the first to admit that this isn't quite the jolly japes and 'effin 'ell that Shaun was (although, there's plent of the latter). However, this is worth watching twice. Although, it is a far darker movie (in my opinion), Simon Pegg's character slowly reveals its self as the damaged wreck of an alcoholic bringing with it a sadness and dislocation of the events surrounding him. The goal of the golden mile is him clinging to a desperate longing to return to an era no longer attainable to him, where alcohol was recreational rather than dependancy.

Blimey, hark at me... sounding all literary and stuff.... but seriously, a damn fine film, just take a little while longer to appreciate the dark side, it's done well.

Revival
Revival

2.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzzzzzzzzzz, 4 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Revival (Kindle Edition)
Sorry, I'm more of a fan of the "Needful things", "The Stand", "Tommyknockers", etc. This bored the pants off me. I wanted to like it, but it was just too insipid. There's absolutely no "action", it is just a featureless diary (aside from someone being shot after God knows how many hours of page turning). It lacks the caricaturisation he is (in my opinion) famed for. Buy only if you prefer not to be given a shock or two.

Gusti Leder nature "Romy" Genuine Leather Handbag Cross Body Shoulder Bag Everyday Satchel City Party Weekend Festival Bag Vintage Brown M23
Offered by Gusti Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Bag a bargain!, 30 Nov. 2015
Bought for my wife's birthday. She is very exacting in her appraisal of such things, so 5 stars is high praise! As with many such products, in my opinion, the quality is seemingly as good as (if not better) than those with designer labels.

Acer Aspire V5-573 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i7 4500U 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good looks but terrible design, 17 Sept. 2014
I would liken this laptop to a fancy sports car that looks the part but when you drive it down the road you find all the wheel nuts have been left lose.

Through my work as a programmer and have been using Acer laptops for the last 8 years with no probelms. I was unfortunate enough to be given this laptop as a replacement for my most recent Acer,

If I was using this as my personal laptop in a domestic context I could probably live with it better.... although, if that were the case I would have returned it inside of a week. Sadly, I am stuck with it.

Pros:

Lightweight.
LED screen.
Brushed aluminum finish.

Minor Cons:

No DVD drive (presumably, assumes all software you want to install is downloadable)
No microphone jack (requires USB headphones).

Major Cons:

The mouse pad is awful. The buttons are hidden beneath the touch-sensitive surface, if you are not very careful, the cursor will move slightly, and off-focus, when you try to click the button. The 2-finger scrolling is even worse, I have now disabled it and use the scroll bar.

The keyboard suffers terrible keystroke lag when using <shift> and typing quickly it also frequently duplicates keystrokes resulting in significant time lost editing-out the erroneous characters. This was so bad I sent my first laptop back but the replacement was no better. Possibly a faulty batch, maybe other reviews will corroborate.

(As mentioned in other reviews) Why have they placed the tiny, sensitive power button prominently on the edge of the laptop!!?! There's absolutely no safeguard, you can gently slide your hand along the side of the laptop and inadvertently power it on or, if you're bracing the laptop while plugging something in the USB port on the other side, turn the whole thing off!

In summary: This would be fine if you plan to use a remote mouse and remote keyboard, but then why buy a laptop in the first place!

(I have also come to hate Windows 8 and it's Charms bar with a vengeance, which came with this laptop, but that's not really Acer's fault, I just wanted to bitch about it!).

Cementone Bitumen Black Waterproofing Paint 1lt
Cementone Bitumen Black Waterproofing Paint 1lt
Offered by deals-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for raised brick pond, 26 May 2014
I used this over a rendered surface of a small raised brick pond/water feature, about 3ft cubed, as a liner would have been too awkward to fit neatly.

It has performed faultlessly with no sign of any seepage (very easy to spot) and I feel is a better solution than a liner in the context I had.

The only potential issue is that it's, unsurprisingly, very messy. Old clothes and disposable gloves are highly recommended! However, it cleans from brushes and non-porous surfaces easily with White Spirit.

Keter Corfu Balcony Outdoor Garden Furniture Set, 2 Armchair and Table with Cream Cushions
Offered by Garden Store Direct Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Good net result, 19 Mar. 2014
The biggest issue is overcoming the initial impression of it being a large-scale Airfix kit!

Assembly is simple, about 10 minutes per chair and the result is something that's very sturdy and far more pleasing to the eye than you initially fear when unpacking the box.

My personal downside was that one of the side mouldings was quite badly warped resulting in a 15mm gap between the side and seat moulding. I had considered returning the order for replacement but it wasn't an option as Amazon was out of stock.

However, I must complement the customer support at Keter who were very polite, helpful and have arranged for a replacement moulding.

I'm sure my experience may well be very rare, so don't let it influence you too much.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [DVD]
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugo Weaving
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 9 Feb. 2014
I first read The Hobbit 37 years ago. I have re-read it probably 10 times or more since and always got pleasure. Sadly, the same is not tgrue of this "action" movie. So far, it's horrible. Every chapter has been re-hashed with orcs. Orcs did not feature in The Hobbit. Stop Americanizing a wonderful novel with a fabricated story line. I will not bother watching, let a lone buying, any sequal to this film.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 4:21 PM GMT

The Descent [DVD] [2005]
The Descent [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Shauna Macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic goretest with suspense!, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Descent [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Possibly one of the most original horror flicks I had the pleasure to watch in ages.

Magnificently claustrophobic in the right places and suitably despair-laden in others, you are sucked into a subterrainean world of darkness haunted by sightless ghoules, hungry for the flesh on your bones.

There's even a genuine story line, although it's easy to miss the first time around if you're not paying attention!

One of my favorite films on so many levels. 5 stars.

Insidious [DVD]
Insidious [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Wilson

1.0 out of 5 stars Scarey as a sleeping hamster, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Insidious [DVD] (DVD)
I hate getting conned into the hype. What a crock. A total remake of "Poltergeist" without Spielberg's touch and without any scares. Avoid unless you are easily scared by watching "Friends".

The Sims 3: Seasons Expansion Pack (PC DVD)
The Sims 3: Seasons Expansion Pack (PC DVD)
Offered by xam80

2.0 out of 5 stars Grinds to a halt, 16 Dec. 2012
Once again I have been hijacked by poor pre-release testing. (IMO). Bring on the snow, bring on the 20 minute wait for games to save & load. I removed all custom content and "initialised" the game by deleting the appropriate folders. All was fine for about 30 sim days and then it all kicked-off again; accelerated time ran at the same pace as "real time" pregnant pauses of up to 1 minute every 20 - 30 seconds of game play. Sorry, I have now binned Sims 3and moved onto Skyrim, doubting I'll return. Sims 3 is a great game in principle but horribly flawed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2013 10:01 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3