Profile for Refugee from London > Reviews

Content by Refugee from L...

Refugee from London

Page: 1 | 2
When Christ And His Saints Slept (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine Book 1)
When Christ And His Saints Slept (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A very well researched historical novel!, 29 April 2015
Sharon Penman has clearly done a great deal of research of the period and then peopled her novel with well rounded characters. Of course, it is her view of the main players in the civil war that preceded the reign of Henry 11 but she really brings them to life. You feel you understand their motivation and share in their successes and failures. However, it is not a novel for the faint hearted! It is a lengthy and very detailed portrayal of the period and it is very easy to forget who the minor characters are, especially as they frequently change sides in the civil war! I am a Kindle novice and think I would have found it easier to read the book, as I could have constantly turned the pages back to check details. I have enjoyed reading the novel overall.

Bonmarche Womens Printed Pinstripe Jersey Blazer Blue Size 14
Bonmarche Womens Printed Pinstripe Jersey Blazer Blue Size 14
Offered by Bonmarche Official

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice, useful jacket, 7 April 2015
This jacket may never be my favourite article of clothing but it will be extremely useful for most seasons of the year. Blue is a colour that always suits me for a start. The shape is flattering too. I anticipate mainly wearing the jacket with trousers but it could be worn with skirts and dresses as well.

13mm Slimline Heated Hair Styling Hot Brush 240V NEW BLUE
13mm Slimline Heated Hair Styling Hot Brush 240V NEW BLUE
Offered by Dealsdirect247

4.0 out of 5 stars I have short fine hair and find this product helpful, 17 Dec. 2014
I have short fine hair and find this product helpful. I was looking for a small barrel on a styling brush because of the nature of my hair.

The Reckoning
The Reckoning
by Sharon Penman

5.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed reading all three novels about the Welsh Princes and ..., 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Reckoning (Paperback)
You cannot expect to read Sharon Penman's novels quickly. They are long in length and meaty in content. You have to concentrate on the story line and make sure you remember who all the characters are! Some readers might give up the effort because of the amount of historical detail and because the story switches from one main character to another. However, I thoroughly enjoyed reading all three novels about the Welsh Princes and the part played in history by Simon de Montfort as well. They lived in turbulent times so the story line was bound to be fascinating but I was also impressed by the underlying, accurate historical research and the fine quality of the writing. I wanted to read these novels because I come from a Welsh family and know the North Wales area very well. In fact we have a second home at Clynnog Fawr, ten miles South of Caernarfon, as well as our main home in Chester. Whenever we drive west along the A55, we can catch a glimpse of the tower of the original property (we understand) that belonged to Llywelyn Fawr at Abergwyngregyn.

Operation Kingfisher
Operation Kingfisher
by Hilary Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable novel, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Operation Kingfisher (Hardcover)
I first started reading Hilary's novels, as she is a personal friend but continued because I enjoyed them so much. I have now read them all. "Operation Kingfisher' didn't disappoint me. Her research of her subject matter is impeccable. I am a French specialist and have supervised the coursework of A.level students, who were interested in writing about aspects of life in France during World War 2. It is, therefore, a subject with which I am relatively familiar. Even so, I expanded my knowledge about the importance of the canal system and the lifestyle of the Maquis through this novel. I enjoyed the plot and appreciated Hilary's style of writing too.

Happy Birthday (Doodle) - E-mail Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate
Happy Birthday (Doodle) - E-mail Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate

5.0 out of 5 stars So popular with the grandchildren!, 1 Jan. 2014
Three of our grandchildren live 230 miles away from us, in Essex. Their ages range from five to twelve. They do have an Amazon wish list but they love these gift certificates and so does their mother!o The decision about how to spend the money occupies them for some time!!

The Kingmaker's Daughter (Cousins War 4)
The Kingmaker's Daughter (Cousins War 4)
by Philippa Gregory

4.0 out of 5 stars I learned a lot!, 29 Sept. 2013
I knew very little about Anne Neville and learned a lot from Philippa Gregory's novel about her brief, often sad life. Because the author writes from the point of view of the main character in the Cousins War novels, you gain a valuable insight into the different perspective on events of the Yorkist and Lancastrian supporters.

Regatta Packaway II Men's Leisurewear OverTrouser - Black, X-Large
Regatta Packaway II Men's Leisurewear OverTrouser - Black, X-Large
Offered by COOZO

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful present, 29 Sept. 2013
I can't comment too much about the Regatta Over trouser, as it was bought in August as part of a birthday present for my son in Essex. To improve his fitness level he has been cycling to a Southend Station, to catch the London train, five days a week. The weather has been good so far but his wife and I hope that he will feel able to continue cycling when it does inevitably deteriorate later in the year!

The White Princess (Cousins War 5)
The White Princess (Cousins War 5)
by Philippa Gregory

4.0 out of 5 stars Another interesting novel from Philippa Gregory, 29 Sept. 2013
I enjoy reading Philippa Gregory's novels and this one was no exception. As far as I can tell, they are well researched but, of course, some of the episodes in Elizabeth's life have to be left to the author's imagination. Having read recently "The Kingmaker's Daughter", I was a little surprised that this novel didn't cover Elizabeth's entire life but stopped short at the point where Henry V11 had disposed of the two remaining Yorkist rivals. I did feel that there was over-emphasis in the novel on this aspect of his reign. It did bring home to me though how insecure was Henry's hold on power for much of his reign and I felt a lot of sympathy for Elizabeth as a pawn in this political game.

The Story of Wales [DVD]
The Story of Wales [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Story of Wales [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD for my son. We had seen the whole series on television and thoroughly enjoyed it. Huw Edwards is a very good presenter.

Page: 1 | 2