Profile for Witchwood > Reviews

D-Day: The story of D-Day through maps
D-Day: The story of D-Day through maps
by Peter Chasseaud

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 19 Sept. 2015
I bought this book having seen a couple of DDay maps elsewhere and unable to source copies. I had hoped this book would contain them. Sadly it doesn't. Also, what maps thete are are simply decorative and too small to read. Overall I find it to be a story of DDay illustrated with very hard to read maps. The title is misleading and there are better DDay books out there.

Healing Meditations: A guide to healing the Self
Healing Meditations: A guide to healing the Self

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 3 Aug. 2015
I have a copy of this book and if you are a beginner or experienced in meditation you will find something of interest. It is a simple straight forward guide without the scientific babble to prove a point so you can jump straight in. The exercises are clear and concise. If you need to know how or you are looking for some variety to your current techniques then I would recommend this book.

The Crooked Path: Selected Transcripts
The Crooked Path: Selected Transcripts
by Peter Paddon

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 18 May 2014
If you have ever listened to any of these Podcasts and then played them again with note book and pen in hand then this book is for you. Everything and more from the podcasts all transcribed for you. It is a book of valuable Lore and Praxis in its own right. Well worth the purchase. I just wish he had such book s out for all of his podcasts.

Good Vibrations: Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie
Good Vibrations: Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 5 Feb. 2012
I read this book as I want to ride Lands End to John O'Groats so Im reading anything I can on long distance cycle rides. This is a great book...one of those that make you tired because you end up reading late into the night! I was also delighted to read that Reggie is the same bike as mine!! My only negative? Its made me realise that my LEJOG trip is a walk in the park by comparison and has left me very envious of the authors amazing adventure!! Look forward to hearing about his future adventures.

Visceral Magick: Bridging the Gap Between Magick and Mundane
Visceral Magick: Bridging the Gap Between Magick and Mundane
by Peter Paddon

5.0 out of 5 stars A review of Visceral Magic, 19 Oct. 2011
A review of Visceral Magic by Peter Paddon

Being a fan of Peter Paddons previous work I was really keen to start reading this book when it arrived. I was surprised to find that the book builds around a concept of energy centres within the body but with a Celtic feel. At first, thinking that it may simply be a rewrite of the Chakra system, I was a little concerned that the origins would be rather ...suspect but I should have known better. After some further research myself, I found that the idea from which the book is built around is taken from a seventh century Irish poem. The poem, which speaks of these energy centres, is presented at the start of the book with a translation.
The book then works through each of the energy centres giving ideas on how to trigger each one into action with methods and techniques that will give you the visceral experience.
You are guided through instant visceral techniques, techniques to trigger visceral experiences and then some accounts of experiences encountered by the author.
The book finishes with thoughts and ideas on how to use these experiences within your own forms of spells, charms and crafting.
So, do I like it? Yes very much so. I find myself walking a similar path to the author despite having never met him and living on the opposite side of the Atlantic yet still our outlook on such topics are very similar. The book is clearly Old Craft in nature and as such, those on a more New Age path, may well dissaprove of some of the techniques given. They are real, they do work and they certainly do "what it says on the tin" to coin a phrase. Some of the techniques we already use within my group and the others we will certainly try.
I don't want to give you all the details of the contents of the book simply as you need to read it yourself. But if things like; Descent into the Wasteland, Dark night of the Soul, Road to Elphame, Encountering Innvocation and Possession gets your juices flowing then this is the book for you.
The book itself is a slim volume of 136 pages with some simple drawings as decoration. It is easy to read, not flowery in its language, clear and straight to the point yet full of useful information. Which, in comparison to a great many books out there today, is a refreshing change.
Simon Wood, Magister for the Clan of the Pheryllt.

Shadows at Stonewylde
Shadows at Stonewylde
by Kit Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadows at Stonewylde, 5 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Shadows at Stonewylde (Hardcover)
For those that follow the Stonewylde story, you will have been left with loads of questions at the end of book 3. Shadows answers some of them. It picks up the story 13 years after book 3 finished. As we have grown to expect, each page is filled with Stonewylde magic. Some insignificant characters are now of age and starting to make thier presense felt within the community, some of the older characters have developed into mature ones also.
There is also a great feel of how such a community can be affected by the outside world built into this book, a great way of reminding us why the old ways and values should not be completely forgotten.
Kit's writing has also developed in my mind. The book reads much better than the self published ones,as do the re releases, and tackles the story and issues from a much more mature perspective. Kit has also included more detail about the relevant folklore and magical practises than she included in the early books which helps to build a more convincing story line and one which you immediately connect with.
I wont give the story line away for this book but you won't be dissappointed. The magic is there, the tension is there, love and hate is there, it is everything you expect it to be. It finishes on a terrific cliff hanger which leaves you desperate for more. A feeling similar to Magus when he realised that the mooneggs had gone in book 3.
The only downside to all this is that we have to wait a full year for book 5 to come out. Oh well, time to re read the whole lot then. What a shame (he says smiling).