Profile for Alan King > Reviews

Content by Alan King

Alan King "Alan King" (Lincs, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
HATCHBOX 1.75mm Green 365 C ABS 3D Printer Filament - 1kg Spool (2.2 lbs) - Dimensional Accuracy +/- 0.05mm
Offered by Low*Baller

5.0 out of 5 stars Hatchbox 1.75mm Green 365C, 6 Sept. 2017
This is the 2nd roll I have used from Hatchbox and this new roll has been as good as the previous roll. The 365C green however is pretty non-descript in terms of colour. Its a cross between lime green and neon. The product image listed with the description is a pretty good representation of colour. Hatchbox actually state this is a pastel green so perhaps Amazon may wish to alter the colour description. My print settings are 230 deg hotend and 65 deg heated bed and results are great...I use a PEI sheet to minimise warping. I have tried many different manufacturers of ABS, including Rigid Ink and Hatchbox ABS in my opinion is the best filament I have used. Recommended if you want to print strong parts that are UV resistant. My only complaint is that Hatchbox 1.75mm filament seems pretty difficult to get hold off in the UK and the choice is very limited even on Amazon. So note to Hatchbox...more 1.75mm ABS colour choices and availability please!

Signstek 3PCS 3D Printer Bed Surface for 3D Printer Platform, 220mm x 220mm x 0.5mm (Black)
Offered by Victory Cyber Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Signstek 3PCS 3D Printer Bed Surface, 24 Aug. 2017
The 3 self adhesive (3M 9080A) black bed surface sheets came well packaged and were of good quality.

I fitted one to a glass bed on an Anycubic i3 Mega. A little oversized for this 3D printer but I just
left the slight overhang without trimming. I can confirm that I have tested on Colorfabb NGen, Matchbox ABS
(with heated bed) and PLA and each part has stuck very well. Just remember to use Isopropanol to
clean the build sheet before each use The ABS printing was a real triumph and I had no warping issues even with complex parts.

The downside with nearly all PEI build sheet materials is that they start to deform and loose their ability to hold prints down after a while.
These Signstek build sheets started to degrade at around 20 medium sized prints on ABS. The deformity is when the adhesive starts
to fail (from the constant heating, cooling and part removal) and you get raised areas which then cause the bed not to be flat.
Not much good for ABS after that.

I do think these sheets are good value for money. I was so pleased to see complex ABS parts stick after a 4 hour
print that even if the build sheet fails after 20 prints I have still saved the money (and time) I would have wasted on warped parts.
Recommended for occasional ABS and regular PLA/NGEN printing.

Anycubic i3 Mega 3D Printer with 3.5 inch Touch Screen and Large Print Size
Anycubic i3 Mega 3D Printer with 3.5 inch Touch Screen and Large Print Size
Offered by Anycubic Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars Anycubic i3 Mega 3D printer, 22 Aug. 2017
The Mega arrived safely and well packed. Printer came with a packing note indicating a QR code and website details
for the printer but no assembly instructions. Instructions and software were located on the included SD card.
The Mega does require some assembly (joining two sections together) this was ok, a little fiddly perhaps with the electrical connectors
but it only took around 30 mins to be fully ready for printing and calibration. The Mega was supplied with toolkit (a decent one), SD card
(with USB reader, USB Cable) a roll of 1KG black PLA and spare hotend!

I can confirm that happily the Mega did print straight out of the box (with a few retraction adjustments to 3mm) and the quality was very good, especially with the test prints on the supplied 8GB SD card.

The 3.5 inch touchscreen on the Mega is an excellent addition to the printer and is intuitive and pretty user friendly.
I can adjust temperatures (both bed and extruder) as well as feed rate and fan speeds. This is a nice feature.
The Mega has a filament switch which pauses the print should your filament run out. It resumes once new filament is loaded.
This works well, although you have to make sure that you prime the hotend before pressing continue. You do not need to use the sensor in order to print however. The Mega also features a recovery option for the print if the power fails, but I have not tested this. The mega can print from the supplied SD card or tethered by USB. I use Repieter-Host with the Mega and it works perfectly.

The supplied hotend did start to misbehave after a few weeks. It produced really good prints to start with but just started to
click and pop after a while and the prints started to fail. Perhaps I was unlucky but I swapped it for a genuine E3D V6 hotend and new bowden tube as a precaution. Luckily the Mega is designed better than some so it can take some modification, hence the E3D V6 re-fit.
The Mega is a 12 volt 3D printer so make sure you fit any spares rated at 12 volts. I also added a glass bed (make sure you increase the height of the Z Axis zero to compensate for the thickness of glass) and ditched the PEI sheet. The part cooling fan is pretty pathetic however, so users may have cooling issues with certain parts being printed. The bed sensor was also not hugely useful, it still required my involvement in levelling the bed so I did not see the point of it being fitted to the Mega.

This is the frustrating thing with the Mega (as an experienced user) ...it's like they started something really good then just ran out of time and started to improvise to get it finished and out of the factory. That said the Mega is now producing excellent prints and producing them reliably.

To summarise the Mega is a very good printer for the first time user. It does offer a decent modification route for the experienced user and is reasonably priced, although I noticed a price rise recently. The printer is quiet, quick and has plenty of features to make printing easier. It can print PLA, Co-Polyesters, PETG and ABS etc so it covers most filament requirements. Print quality is very good to excellent, even "out of the box" and although I did swap the original hotend (perhaps that is why you get a spare) my first impressions still remain that the Anycubic Mega is a capable 3D printer and should be high on your shortlist. A little more design thought (in my opinion) from Anycubic would have earned it a 5 star rating.

DROK® Micro Digital Thermostat DC 12V -50-110℃ Temperature Controller Board Cooling /Heating Control Module Switch with 10A 1-channel Relay and Waterproof Sensor Probe
Offered by DEOK

5.0 out of 5 stars DROK® Micro Digital Thermostat DC 12V -50-110℃ Temperature Controller Board, 4 Mar. 2017
I used the DROK® Micro Digital Thermostat DC 12V -50-110℃ Temperature Controller Board
to control a heated bed on a 3D printer.

By default the device is set to cooling...that is the relay is off until a set temperature is reached.
Once the set point is reached the relay is on. Ideal for turning on a fan if the temperature is too high.

But for my requirement I needed the relay to be on (heater on) before the set point is reached so initially I was
dissapointed that the module was powered up for cooling. Then I re-checked the listing and thought I saw the
reference to heating. Simply just long press the "set" button and wait until you see P0, press either the "-" or the "+"
button and a small "c" for cooling or a small "h" for heating is displayed. Press "set" again to save or wait 10 seconds
and the mode will be set to either heating or cooling.

My only gripe with the module is that the temperature probe cable is only about 300mm long but other
than that I am very happy with it, as it works perfectly!

250 g. Black FlexiSMART 1.75 mm Flexible filament TPE for 3D Printer
250 g. Black FlexiSMART 1.75 mm Flexible filament TPE for 3D Printer
Offered by XU Devices

5.0 out of 5 stars 1.75mm FlexiSMART Black flexible filament, 1 Nov. 2016
Information is a little limited on this filament unless you can read spanish but essentially a TPE (thermoplastic elastomer) material.

But to mention that I did have to add a small adaption to my Makerbot Replicator 2, by adding a small piece of thin walled plastic pipe to cover the hot end securing screw (in between the hob drive and the start of the hot end assembly) which allowed a piece of 2mm bowden tube to be inserted into it. I then trimmed the end of the bowden tube to match the profile of the hob drive diameter (as best as I could). This adaption was to improve the guiding of the filament into the hotend as like all flexible filaments they need encouragment to get pushed through small holes without buckling or wrapping around the hob gear!...I have to say that I was amazed to have this material printing on a Makerbot Replicator 2 (with added heatbed).

In my setup using the heated bed (at 50 deg) gave me more confidence to use the filament but the manufacturer does state that this is not necessary and it can be printed on an unheated or untreated surface. Quality was excellent with just a few strings attached to the part after printing. Extruder temp was 220 deg and printing at 25-30 mm/sec. Layer height 0.2mm with a 0.8mm retraction. FlexiSMART has around a 80-90 shore rating from my estimation which can be a little hard for some items, but again this will need time and testing to discover the best combinations for different projects.

The manufacturer does claim that this will work in most direct drive printers but as like anything in 3D printing you need to prove the
claims...I'm happy to say that with a small alteration I have now the capability of using flexible filament (I tried Ninjaflex without success) in the Replicator at last so I am very happy and can recommend FlexiSMART as a consequence.

So I can highly recommend FlexiSMART
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2017 11:15 AM BST

HATCHBOX 1.75mm Green ABS 3D Printer Filament - 1kg Spool (2.2 lbs.) - Dimensional Accuracy +/- 0.05mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Hatchbox 1.75mm Green ABS Filament, 28 July 2016
The filament arrived quickly (from Germany) in a quality cardboard box. Inside the box was a vacuum sealed reel of ABS with a silica bag inside.
A good start. Useful information on the reel label was the Pantone colour (347C) and printing temperatures. Reel dimensions are Outside diameter 200mm and centre bore diameter 32mm. Good quality filament which printed without issue on a Makerbot Replicator 2 (Modded with heated bed).
Recommended!

Raspberry Pi Official Wi-Fi Dongle
Raspberry Pi Official Wi-Fi Dongle

1.0 out of 5 stars Required the strength of the Hulk to get into the ..., 26 Mar. 2016
Required the strength of the Hulk to get into the packaging then tried it (Model No. WLU6331) in a brand new Raspberry Pi 2
only to find (as others) that it does not fit into any of the 4 USB ports available on the Pi. Something
has gone wrong with the tolerances during manufacture and it's too big to fit, so do not force this dongle into a USB port
on the Pi as you will likely break the motherboard!

Alas I never even considered opening the packet until I needed it, so confident of buying an
official Raspberry Pi product. Now I cannot return to Amazon as faulty due to my returns date expiring!

An official product should never fail on such an epic scale!

Pioneer SBXB30 Soundbase with Bluetooth (Black)
Pioneer SBXB30 Soundbase with Bluetooth (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pioneer SBX-B30, 30 Dec. 2015
A very smart looking speaker base from Pioneer. Sturdy in construction and it is made with wood...yes wood!
Easily plonked my old Sony 32inch LCD on top of it...without any groans or creaks!

The main reason for choosing the SBX-B30 was the number of audio connectors. 2 optical, 1 Coaxial and 1 audio (3.5mm)
and the unit having bluetooth. All requirements satisfied with the SBX-B30!

Rated at 130 Watt I can confirm that the SBX-B30 is all about the bass...it does need a little playing about with but the sound
is impressive. DTS and Dolby signals are handled and this outputs to a 2.1 surround sound profile. The remote is a little delicate, but is ok to use. All functions can be controlled via the speaker base if required. I like the use of the function LED's (can be dimmed) on the speaker base to indicate volume levels etc...nice touch! General sound is handled well, bias towards bass as mentioned but overall for my small living room the sound is full and powerful. Playing Enrique Iglesias (as an example) Hero mixed by Chris Lawrence could make the wife's best china rattle! For a more delicate listening experience there is an auto level control function.

Bluetooth works very well and enables streaming from my android/Amazon fire (and other) devices and network NAS drive etc.
I have not tried the Pioneer streaming app as I tend to use Amazon music or BubbleUPNP for streaming.
Sounds great whatever you throw at it. I did not experience any signal dropout or issues discovering the SBX-B30.

I am very pleased with the SBX-B30. It's a compact and smart looking speaker base that delivers quality sound with excellent connectivity at a very good price...I can certainly recommend it!

Continuous DJ Mix
Continuous DJ Mix

5.0 out of 5 stars Pump it up!!!, 28 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Continuous DJ Mix (MP3 Download)
Nice mix...pleasantly surprised by the quality. Some classic tracks in there and at a bargain price!
This is a 108 mins continuous (214kps) MP3 track. No accreditation to artists alas, but a worthy buy in my opinion!

Ranex Gu10 35 Watt Incandescent Ip44 Arezzo Brushed Stainless Steel Wall Light
Ranex Gu10 35 Watt Incandescent Ip44 Arezzo Brushed Stainless Steel Wall Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Ranex GU10 Light, 28 Aug. 2014
Really pleased with these lights from Ranex. I also bought the PIR version too. I actually liked them so much that I have used them inside a summerhouse as general lighting. Luckily these lights are actually very good quality and so I was able to remove the light assembly (I found a 14mm socket worked best) and rotate the base by 90 degrees. It looks even better now!

I have clearly violated the warranty but for just over £10 for a very stylish light I am more than happy.

Fitted with a replacement LED version lamp makes for a pleasing and affordable lighting option.

Highly recommended.