Profile for H. Jones > Reviews

H. Jones (London, UK)

Seven Steps to Happiness
Seven Steps to Happiness
by Stella Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, warm, smart, delicious - far better than your average chick lit, 23 Nov. 2016
At first I wasn't quite sure about this as it does start quite slowly compared to the other Stella Newmans I've read and loved - but once it gets cracking, it flies. Loads to relate to in terms of modern living, loving, dating. Lots of wit, lots of food, great, fully formed realistic characters - none of the super-fluffy cupcake and Cotswolds stuff in some checklist. Heart-warming, intelligent and a cut above most women's commercial fiction.

The Foodie's Guide to Falling in Love
The Foodie's Guide to Falling in Love

5.0 out of 5 stars and sad to have finished another of Stella Newman's mouthwatering tales, 22 Feb. 2015
I'm drooling... and sad to have finished another of Stella Newman's mouthwatering tales. With each of her books - Pear-Shaped, Leftovers and now The Dish, the strong lead character is so empathetic, I find myself torn between staying up late to devour more, and wanting to slow down and stay in the story as long as possible. Please, Stella, keep them coming - a great read.

A Pear Shaped Christmas: A Stella Newman Novella
A Pear Shaped Christmas: A Stella Newman Novella

5.0 out of 5 stars Stella does it again with a funny, sweet read, 22 Nov. 2014
Just what is needed to get into the swing of pre-Christmas - Stella does it again with a funny, sweet read. Great to be reacquainted with cameo appearances by such hilarious characters from Pear Shaped and Leftovers.

Leftovers
Leftovers

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, delightful, deleftovers, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Leftovers (Kindle Edition)
Leftovers is a brilliant read. I totally relate to Susie, the central character of this sassy novel. The story is set in an advertising agency, and with Stella Newman's precise language, capturing at times hilarious images with a great ear for dialogue, I suspect that she must have been a copywriter before she - fortunately for us - turned to writing.

It's the kind of book you just can't put down, and reading it makes you hungry, as Susie and her pals (and revolting, brilliantly characterised client Devron) trot around fine dining and drinking establishments of London.

I enjoyed Pear Shaped, Stella Newman's other book, but this was even better - great girl power.

Wuthering Heights (Penguin Clothbound Classics)
Wuthering Heights (Penguin Clothbound Classics)
by Emily Brontë

4.0 out of 5 stars So frustrating!, 24 Jan. 2012
I reread this after 20 years just now - obviously it's a classic with reason, but the Kate Bush song emerged as such too in my head, really capturing the spirit. I found the dialect quite hard to follow. I loved that the 2 anti-heroes are so flawed as human beings, though Cathy's pregnancy is slightly oddly presented. Not great for the Yorkshire tourist board but an absorbing tale.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2012 9:19 AM BST

Pear Shaped
Pear Shaped
by Stella Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and sour and Sassy!, 24 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Pear Shaped (Paperback)
Initially I was intrigued by the title - as a pear-shaped person whose past love life was frequently pear-shaped I absolutely related to Sophie. Yes, James Stephens is a horrid person, but surely many of us have been addicted to the highs and lows in an emotionally abusive relationship. Stella Newman's style has a real bite (no pun intended though I did find the way she writes about food fascinating and fluent) - I zipped through this book all too quickly. Sophie is a well-rounded and engaging character - I hope we'll get a sequel and a movie!

Lulu's Clothes
Lulu's Clothes
by Camilla Reid

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and stylish, 5 May 2009
This review is from: Lulu's Clothes (Hardcover)
Lulu is a gal after my own heart, shoes and clothes she holds dear. My 2.5 and 4 year old daughters concur.. they love to zip up her pink stripy cardigan or tie her apron, which are great skills to practice. This is an ideal book to take on a long trip as it keeps them absorbed for ages and doesn't get on parents' nerves as much as some!