Profile for Jam > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
while(1<2) [Explicit]
while(1<2) [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very good album, 2 Dec. 2015
I've never listened to deadmau5 before, it was a name I'd heard but somehow he was just one of those artists I'd just never gotten around to figuring out what he did.

After listening to Get Scraped on Amazon Prime Music the other day, I thought, "yeah, this guy is pretty good", and so downloaded a bit more just to listen to at work on in the car. So added 4x4=12 and while(1<2) to my library.

I have to say, however, when this album started playing, some part of me sat up and took notice (perhaps paradoxically?) of what is some excellent quality ambient house music.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (PS4)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant multiplayer PvP/E Last Man Standing, 1 Dec. 2015
First and foremost you need to be aware that this is an online Multiplayer FPS - it is made with the intention of online co-op play as a team of 5, against either another 5-player team, or (in the case of Terrorist Hunt mode), non-player bots.

If you're familiar with Rainbow Six (either the book or the previous games), you will know that the general premise is that you are part of a counterterrorist unit, made up of operators from various special forces and tactical police units from around the world. Each operator has their own talent / gadget.

The point of the game is for a team of 5 to storm a building, and either
a) complete an objective (such as defuse a bomb, or rescue a hostage), or
b) wipe out the other team
The other team are trying to stop you, obviously.

In the 45 seconds before the round starts, defenders can fortify by putting up barricades, barbed wire, and other defensive gadgets - meanwhile attackers can send in wheeled remote camera drones to try and get an idea of who and what is where.

The game is basically a hardcore, last-man standing, team deathmatch. In other words, once killed, you are dead for the remainder of the round and cannot respawn (although you can watch from a surviving team-mate's point of view, or from the CCTV cameras). Friendly fire cannot be disabled, and reckless offenders of that are not popular. Weapon damage feels higher than the average FPS, and firefights tend to be quickly lethal; though if you manage to escape death to within your last gasp, you are immobilised and bleeding out, and can be revived by a teammate (if they make it to you in time).

Rounds are over in a matter of minutes - but this is not run-and-gun. Running gung-ho into the enemy will likely result in the end of the round for you. Emphasis now is on stealth, tactics, and teamwork, and it's probably fair to say that a team of 5 players who are communicating effectively on headsets will generally be at an advantage over 5 individual players. Personally, I find it more exciting knowing that you have "one life", and have to play with more care.

Many novice players may get frustrated if they find themselves early "observers" round after round (although you still get a points incentive for sticking around - and you can help your team out).

There are some occasional gameplay bugs, such as getting stuck on certain objects or the lips of rooftops (a workaround is to go prone or rappel back). Matchmaking is a lot more reliable than it was in the Beta, although you still get the rare occasion where it seems to take a while for that last player to join (maybe 5% of the time, if that). Hopefully these minor bugs will get fixed quickly.

There is no single player story/campaign mode, or offline multiplayer - this is focussed on online play. Many are not happy about this; but it has always been the intention of this title. There is a single-player mode called "Situations", which is ten mini-missions, with a "3 star objectives" format, but while this serves as a reasonable introduction to some of the controls and skills, there is not much longevity in it to consider it much more than a tutorial. You can also play "Terrorist Hunt" in a single player mode.

Quick tip for anyone who already has the game and have found the control a tad wayward: try changing the controller settings - the default "dead zone" delay really threw me (it felt completely different even to the Beta released just a few weeks ago). Reduce it to minimum and you might find it better, I certainly have.

Altogether, I think this is a brilliant FPS game, but it's completely different from both COD and Battlefield - it's all close quarters, tactical, and hardcore. It's not perfect - there are things that could have been done better.
Joining friends is more laborious than it should be; you can't join someone who's already in a match, even if their team isn't full.
There's not much in the way of weapon modifications, and what there is can't be fitted/removed other than from the main menu.
Another significant downside is that there is not a huge amount of variety to gameplay - even though no two rounds will play out the same, it still boils down to a pretty simple formula, and you do get a sense of repetition. I do wonder if there are more game modes to come; there are pretty large areas of each map having so much detail paid to design, yet completely unused (like the tunnel under the bank, for example) - it would be great if future expansion would maybe change the fight dynamic and use some of these (mostly outdoor) areas.

Certainly some good news is that expansion DLC over the next year, including new maps and operators, are to be available to everyone. In other words, you do NOT need the Season Pass (or to pay) for expansions.

Overall, despite a little repetition, this is a really addictive and fun game. If you don't want to play multiplayer; simply do not get this game. And you may spend a significant proportion observing while you find your feet - so if you don't consider yourself to be the most patient of players, it may not be for you.

Vacu Vin Coffee and Tea Storage Container - Medium, 1.30 Litre, White
Vacu Vin Coffee and Tea Storage Container - Medium, 1.30 Litre, White

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, I bought two., 19 Nov. 2015
This is just brilliant for storing coffee beans and keeping them fresh. I usually buy the 1Kg bags of beans, but my bean-to-cup machine's hopper only fits 250g. And I don't even like to fill that completely, as by the time I've gotten through it, the beans have really lost their freshness.

There's a lot of controversy over whether beans should go in the freezer or not, and though I did do that in the past, a recent purchase from Spiller and Tait (whose product comes with lots of excellent advice) convinced me I should stop; and I also decided that a clip on the bag was not quite enough.

Using this Vacu Vin to vacuum store half the bag was so effective, I decided to buy a second container so I could store all the beans once the bag was open, and just pour in 100g or so at a time. Now my coffee is fresh every time.

Karcher WV50 cordless window vac and Small Head head attachment
Karcher WV50 cordless window vac and Small Head head attachment

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes "window cleaning" almost fun., 19 Nov. 2015
I bought this on impulse via Lightning deal around Black Friday. Though I'm not one for cleaning my windows, particularly, the upstairs Georgian bedroom windows do get dripping wet with condensation, so this is a kinda two-birds-with-one-stone thing.

I have to say, it really does make the job fun. I don't know why, but watching the water just get sucked off the window is really quite satisfying.

I've found the battery to last plenty of time (easily a week's worth of doing the three sets of windows). And it's child's play to dismantle and empty the tank.

Generally the technique I use is, using the smaller attachment, do two horizontal wipes, and then a vertical downward wipe - it's quick and easy. Obviously some windows are harder to do, due to the windowsill or whatever, and sometimes it's harder to do a downward wipe; this does bring me to the only complaint I have about this cleaner. As the tank begins to contain more water, you get to a point where a horizontal wipe causes the water to spill out of the tank, through the innards of the cleaner, and start hitting the vacuum motor near the vents.

Hopefully a future generation will be designed so that it can be used horizontally (and maybe even upside down!). Till then, it's still a great device; just have to manage with the limitation.

12 Packs Halloween Spooky Stickers Trick or Treat Party Bag Fillers
12 Packs Halloween Spooky Stickers Trick or Treat Party Bag Fillers
Offered by Morgan's Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we needed, 12 Nov. 2015
Part of a "prize bag" we used for our school PTA's Halloween Disco, which comprised little toys, puzzles, chocolate pumpkins, stickers, sticky tattoos, and the whole lot coming in at just £2 each. Just the job for a cheap but themed treat.

48 x Spooky Halloween Vampire Pumpkin Bats Kids Pretend Transfers Tattoos

12 x Mini Halloween Magic Spring
12 x Mini Halloween Magic Spring
Offered by Express Goods UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we needed, 12 Nov. 2015

Pack of 12 - Halloween Bouncing Balls - Size 25mm - Great Party Loot Bag Fillers
Offered by MunchieMoosKids Limited