Profile for Sw Carter > Reviews

Content by Sw Carter

Sw Carter "condover" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
polaroid tv sound base with bluetooth
polaroid tv sound base with bluetooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Bass Boost defaults to Muddy Thunder, 22 July 2016
Polaroid HSB3801 looks and sounds very good. Inputs are limited to phono/RCA and 3.5,, headphone type socket. Plus bluetooth which I have never used. It looks great under my parents 26" tv. However it is unusable by my parents for one stupid design flaw. When you first switch it on Bass Boost is ON. Touch the Bass button on remote and the thundering bass is cured and quality sound restored. However every time my parents switch it off at the wall which they do every night religiously! the next day Bass Boost is thundering again. So now we use it as a pretty base (not bass) an my parents like to see it and the 2 inch lift to the TV is cool. But my parents are not very mobile and get confused with too many remotes. If only there was a way to not boost bass permanently. Grrrr.

Freeze Frame
Freeze Frame

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Great Album, 4 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Freeze Frame (Audio CD)
Thanks Obadia. It is truly magical album. Clever, intelligent lyrics and quirky sound to match. Haunting is a good description, it is Kevin Godleys smooth resonant voice. If you liked this then you would probably like Supertramps Breakfast in America as to me they are similarly styled. I only have the lp version of FF but I see that the 1993 Images album has most of the FF tracks and it is much more widely available on CD. Oh the other one I liked from this period was Devo.

Music Maestro-Vivaldi [VHS]
Music Maestro-Vivaldi [VHS]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for students of Vivaldi, 7 Sept. 2015
I only have the video, not the CD. It is really excellent. I love the period costumes and settings. The music is good too in that it is not yet another cover of the Four Seasons. The oboe concerto is particularly memorable. The format is 4:3 as it is oldish. The players and production is Russian with English voice over.

Brother DCP 1612 W Black & White Multifunctional Printer
Brother DCP 1612 W Black & White Multifunctional Printer
Offered by Co-op Electrical

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating to Setup and Use Otherwise OK!, 3 Sept. 2015
It is OK but I have a couple of complaints. First it was a pain to install. The software refused to install wirelessly because when asked to insert the USB cable (as part of the wireless install) the printer is never detected. So I installed it via USB, no problem but very slow (about 15 minutes). It frustratingly has installed as a 1610. Did I select the wrong option on the first screen? It has taken over two hours to get the damn thing working wirelessly so I am not keen to start again.
Last problem is the stupid icons. The useful Control Center is buried under the single desktop config icon so to scan a page I have a lot of vague clicking to find it. I cannot seem to find a way to get to the Brother Control Center or Scan icon easily. Tiresome.
Otherwise it prints and scans fine!

Vivaldi (Master Musician)
Vivaldi (Master Musician)
by Michael Talbot

4.0 out of 5 stars VIVALDI by Michael Talbot (versions), 19 April 2015
I am reviewing The Master Musicians VIVALDI by Michael Talbot. ISBN 0460022282.
MT has written five books entitled Vivaldi that I know of so probably there are many more! Amazon has linked all "VIVALDI by Michael Talbot" to the same reviews so one finds oneself reading reviews for radically different volumes.
1. The Master Musicians VIVALDI by Michael Talbot first published 1978 (my paperback edition has a 1984 preface). I found this work rather hard going. However it really is a great reference and is a great read alongside a 40cd boxed set (Decca or Masterworks).
2. BBC Music Guides VIVALDI by Michael Talbot published 1979 ISBN 0563128569. At only 110 pages this would be the version to start with.
3. The Sacred Vocal Music of Antonio Vivaldi 1995 578 pages ISBN 8822243617
4. The Vivaldi Compendium 1843838192 also 260-270 pages as per (1) above but published in 2013.
5. Venetian Music in the Age of Vivaldi. ISBN 0860787893. This is a compendium of different authors writings about Vivaldi's work.

I only gave this 4 stars as I found both Alan Kendals Vivaldi and HC Robbins Landon Vivaldi to be easier to read. I reserve my five stars for John Booths illustrated Vivaldi (ISBN 0711914060). I should state that I am not a musician though I can read music.

Magdalena - Under Venus
Magdalena - Under Venus
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Voice and Great Guitar., 24 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Magdalena - Under Venus (Audio CD)
Good strong very listenable voice and really nice guitar playing. I like most of it and the more I play it the more I like it. My favourite track is #4 Free Me Up. My least favourite is #2 We hide it Well; the lyrics are really excellent but the backing band/mix is overpowering. Saying that the backing sounds are great on track #10 Living Free. I am a sucker for a sax. One of my favourite bands is Varius Manx. The last track is Ojcze Nasz; Our Father sung in Polish. Nice track, clean sound but the lyrics (sorry church fathers) are just not musical.
Overall I like the folky sound of Mags and her guitar but the loud band sessions do take something away for me. I will go back to Suzanne Vega.
I see on her website she is called Magdalena Hegarty and you can play a small section of Free Me Up.

eMachines D620 Athlon 2650e 1GB 160GB 14.1" Laptop
eMachines D620 Athlon 2650e 1GB 160GB 14.1" Laptop

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Laptop - Good second hand buy., 2 Mar. 2015
Vista with 1GB of memory is a recipe for disappointment. I have one and with 2Gb of memory it is still slow but not painfully so. I put a solid state hard drive in to test it and now I use this machine all the time. It is up and running in 40 seconds. It took about 2 mins with the standard 160GB drive. I have put win7 on but IMHO it is not very different to Vista. I also replaced the battery with a 9 cell unit but be warned the 9 cell unit sticks out the back in rather an ugly fashion. I wish I had stayed with the standard 6 cell 4400mAh.
One other point is that the miserly 15w processor can overheat if the fan gets blocked up with dust. Just unscrew the single base access plate and undo the two screws holding the fan in place to clean it out. Easy peasy.
It is a basic unit with no webcam or SD card reader but keyboard is nice and screen is good business size.

Jvc Ha-Rx 300 Full-Size Headphones
Jvc Ha-Rx 300 Full-Size Headphones
Offered by Annova (UK) Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Design but Poor Sound Quality, 21 Feb. 2015
They look good and the single sided lead is excellent. The sound is quite dull, muffled and compressed. The stereo image and also poor. However this is compared to my other headphones (Sennheiser HD 540 cost about 100 and Creative DJ cost me about £11 but they are £70 phones on special). My creative DJ phones are too tight and uncomfortable (but brilliantly crisp accurate sound) and the plastic foam is rotting. These JVC are more comfortable but sadly lacking in the sound dept. They are also comfortably light weight.
So OK for the price but definitely not hi-fi quality.

FoxTales: Behind the Scenes of Fox Software
FoxTales: Behind the Scenes of Fox Software
by Kerry Nietz

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read; I can't wait for Part 2., 28 Feb. 2014
When I read this book I loved this book. It was great to get the inside gen on the creathion of FoxPro database software. For me it is similar to Soul of a New Machine as even though I own a few copies of FoxPro I only have an overview of the product. I would have liked a bit more techy stuff about some of the design decisions chosen or rejected. Unfortunately the book kind of fades out at the end. When the author moves with the product to Microsoft there is a lot less detail.
It would be great if Kerry would do a 2nd edition expanding the Microsoft side and giving his perspective on the further development of the product.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Compact Card, 28 Feb. 2014
I have one of these. Mine differs from the picture in that my USB ports are above the Firewire ports, not below, and I do not have any pin headers on the board. Mine has a Mercury name label stuck on the back. I am a PC repairman and I got this card because it was stopping a customers machine from powering on! When I got around to testing it in another machine. I can find no fault. I cannot find any known faults with this card. I have not tested the firewire but note it is the older 400kbps Speed. It is 1394a too which I guess is better than straight 1394.

Page: 1 | 2