Profile for Mig > Reviews

Recore (Xbox One)
Recore (Xbox One)
Offered by PirStore

4.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem, just needs a polish., 17 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Recore (Xbox One) (Video Game)
While playing Recore I've been reminded of numerous games I've played over the years, there is definately a trace of both Metroid and Mega Man in there but I was also reminded slightly of Borderlands and even Ratchet & Clank ( loot pick up ). However for me so far it's also got some aspects which set it apart.
One moment you find yourself fighting adversaries in the expansive desert, next your picking your way through often frustrating platform sections, then you can be exploring dungeons hunting for required items while baddies pop up without warning. This ever changing mix of game play has for me at least kept things interesting and for the first time in several months I'm genuinely looking forward to picking up the controller for my next go.
The story that slowly unwinds as you progress is genuinely interesting, you soon start trying to guess what might have befallen Far Eden and your fellow humans but your drip fed information and it really made me want to keep playing just to get to the next clue. Your companions through the game are very well thought out, they have unique abilities and weaknesses which will make you switch between them quickly when circumstances change and I truly found myself caring about them even to the point where I foolishly ignored my own health bar because I was too concerned that my trusty robot dog Mack was getting into trouble.
My reasons for giving Recore 4/5 are primarily the load times which really are excessive to the point that I've taken to checking the news or heading off to make a cup of tea while they drag on, that being said once your on a section of the planet there is often a large area to explore and plenty going on so you can sort of excuse it but certainly for this generation of console its uncommon. So far my game has crashed once during play and very occasionally while platforming I've fallen to my doom and been restarted at a point which has left me no choice but the quit to my Crawler and restart a section. The load times are probably here to stay but I'm hopefull that a future update could repair some of the more minor issues.
Before Recore was released I had read some early reviews and as a result almost cancelled my preorder, I'm now very happy I held on, the game being priced at around £28 was a surprise and bearing in mind its scale it makes Recore superb value for money. The overall atmosphere in game deserves more credit, I'm often made to feel isolated and as I touched on before I genuinely like and care for Joule and her companions. This game seems to be dividing opinions among the professional reviewers but I feel that once a few of its wrinkles are ironed out via update this game is a hidden gem. After recently playing Deus Ex and No Mans Sky which I very soon got bored with I feel Recore deserves more credit.

The Technomancer - Playstation 4
The Technomancer - Playstation 4
Offered by Gameseek

2.0 out of 5 stars Belongs on PS3, 4 July 2016
I got the distinct impression that this game has been a long time in the making, the graphics are very much last gen, the combat is over complicated and the voice acting is so bad in places it's funny, the main characters voice actor sounds bored and another sounds like he's been inhaling lighter fluid. I really wanted to like this game especially when it started to remind me slightly of Mass Effect but that's the only positive thing I could say about it. Go find a copy of Mass Effect for a couple of quid and you'll have a far better time.
I have no idea why people are giving this undeserved high scores, go take a look at IGN or Metacritic if you don't believe me. Save your money.