Profile for A. Linton > Reviews

Content by A. Linton

A. Linton (Manchester, Manchester United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Weigh Me Luggage Scale
Weigh Me Luggage Scale
Offered by Just Sport and Leisure

2.0 out of 5 stars The instructions are terrible - in tiny print and impossible to read and ..., 27 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Weigh Me Luggage Scale (Misc.)
The instructions are terrible - in tiny print and impossible to read and I couldn't work out how to set the scale back to zero - the dial thing on the back jammed when I tried to reset it so I will have to make allowances for the extra 2 kgs when I calculate the weight of my bag. I've even gone to the website and there are no proper instructions there. If it's inaccurate as well then it really was a waste of money. I wish I'd spent more and got something decent!

Red Keep Calm and Bin It Easy Clean Open Top Waste Bin
Red Keep Calm and Bin It Easy Clean Open Top Waste Bin
Offered by Bargain Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have a bin again!, 20 Feb. 2015
For some strange reason the powers that be have taken away all our office bins at work so I have been forced to buy my own before my office descends into utter chaos. This is a nice cheerful red colour and should be easy to clean, only hope it doesn't disappear as well!

Dead Right (An Inspector Banks Mystery Book 9)
Dead Right (An Inspector Banks Mystery Book 9)

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow moving and feels rather dated, 19 Feb. 2015
I found this novel quite hard to get into and it remained unread on my Kindle until I basically ran out of other stuff to read, and decided to give it another try. It feels quite dated - I notice that it was published in 1997 - it feels like the author is making a rather heavy handed attempt to be politically correct with regard to female police officers/ethnic minorities and it doesn't quite come off. A lot of the time I felt preached at/patronised. His female cop, Susan, didn't seem very convincing to me and I think he is better at male characters. (Also does every female have to be secretly in love with Alan? - it becomes a bit tiresome after a while). Another problem is that the victim - a neo Nazi thug isn't particularly sympathetic and it's hard to drum up much concern about whether his killer is caught or not.

About halfway through interest in the investigation tails off and the focus switches to our hero's personal life - his wife has left him, his career isn't going well either and he copes with this mainly by getting drunk, listening to loud classical music (I felt for his neighbours!)or fantasising about various females in his life who might become more than friends due to his new single status. A lot of this stuff seems like classic middle aged male fantasy, but I can't say I was sorry to see the back of Sandra his wife whom I found intensely irritating.

The best part of the book by far is a trip to Amsterdam and there intriguing hints that the simple murder might be something much more, but after that it goes downhill rapidly and the ending is a bit of a disappointment, leaving the future of our hero Alan more or less hanging in the balance. Definitely more 'to be continued' than a proper ending.

Worth reading at the reduced price I paid for it, but I wouldn't pay the price they are currently asking it's not one of his better ones.

A Regular Couple (From The Atlantic Archives)
A Regular Couple (From The Atlantic Archives)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent writing - but I wanted more!, 19 Feb. 2015
First the positives - as usual Curtis Sittenfeld's writing doesn't disappoint in this tale which describes the encounter between two couples - a successful lawyer, on vacation with her handsome new husband, is reminded of her past insecurity when she meets her arch nemesis the former school beauty and her unexpectedly average husband. Don't go into this story expecting the standard romantic novel reassurances - what happens during the course of this short story challenges our perceptions of both women and the compromises they make in their relationships.

Now the negative -I already described it as short. Doesn't feel much longer than a kindle sample and ends just as you are really getting into it. Buy by all means but prepare to be underwhelmed by what you get in terms of quantity if not quality ...

Clutter Buster Drawer Organiser
Clutter Buster Drawer Organiser
Offered by The Holding Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing how the simplest things transform your life!, 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Clutter Buster Drawer Organiser
Well it's not the cheapest drawer organiser on Amazon but it looked the best to me in terms of functionality and design - and it did live up to expectations. It looked reassuringly sturdy compared to some of the flimsy tat out there and fitted nicely into my desk drawer My desk top has been transformed and clutter instantly removed - and best of all - I can actually find stuff like my calculator and ruler, and I've got room for all those spare packs of staples and the ever present paperclips. Thanks to the reviewer who mentioned the bottom layer I hadn't even realised that existed and it has given even more space than I initially thought I had! Might get one for home use as well, good value for money in terms of what you get.

The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad series Book 5)
The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad series Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not her best but still worth reading, 7 Feb. 2015
I like the gimmick whereby French's books always centre around a different character and it's always interesting to see what she will come up with next. Here there are elements of 'The Secret History' and 'Practical Magic' within the framework of a drama much of which could be presented as a play - all the present day action takes place within a single day, while two cops interview the pupils of a posh girls school about a murder which took place some months previously, the rest being flashbacks seen from the viewpoint of some of the pupils.

It took a long time to get into - but I find that with all French's books - which usually have quite a complex set up it takes a while to get your head round. I can't say it ever became really compelling until near the end. I quite like some of the supernatural elements she introduced - though it's never quite clear if Holly and her four friends really have telekinetic powers like a Stephen King heroine or it's all down to youthful imagination - but there was never any kind of payoff and in the end the whole thing is irrelevant. The chemistry between Conway and Moran never quite worked for me and at times the whole investigation storyline seemed so artificial that I felt embarrassed for the characters having to take part in it - I much preferred the flashbacks which told the girls own stories. She really does capture some of the magic of youth, of friendships you think will last forever, the feeling of being sheltered from the outside world and adult responsibility. Not sure to be honest if the murder and the detective story part really needed to be there.

Still a weaker effort from Tana French is better than the best efforts of most thriller writers so overall I was quite satisfied to get this book, especially at the kindle price. It did keep me reading for a whole week and I think I will probably get more out of it the second time round. I hope her next book centres around Conway who seems like a potentially much more interesting character than Moran.

Frostfire Mooncandles Vanilla Scented Flameless Wax Candles with Timer and Remote Control, 4-inch/ 5-inch/ 6-inch, Set of 3
Offered by Innovationstore

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a real candle addict but I am pretty impressed with these as well ...., 5 Feb. 2015
Bought these as a present for someone who doesn't like lighted candles, but was so impressed by the quality I might buy some for myself as well. They really look and feel very realistic unlike some of the battery powered tat I've seen in shops. The remote control and timer is a nice touch and easy to use once you get the hang of it.

A Good and Useful Hurt
A Good and Useful Hurt

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as 'Breaking Point' but still a very decent read, 31 Jan. 2015
Kind of hard to know where to start. This novel certainly kept me gripped the whole way through, but structurally it's all over the place - Davis is trying to do too much and at the end not everything feels resolved. There are several different strands - mostly experiences/interactions of a bunch of people who work in a tattoo shop (clearly something the author knows very well) which in itself would have been enough for a story, intertwined with the story of a serial killer, a man haunted by a dead girlfriend, a strange side story about various people who are tattooed with the ashes of dead relatives - I was honestly wondering if he would manage to bring it all together, when the whole thing switches gear and basically turns into a kind of psychic detective story. Maybe Jonathan Carroll would have been able to pull off this kind of surreal storyline, but here it doesn't quite work and the whole thing feels a little disjointed. We don't see enough from the killer's viewpoint and there is way too much about the tattoo shop and the characters' various romances.

Still it's not a bad novel by any means and the ending is quite satisfactory in terms of a revenge fantasy. I preferred 'Breaking Point' as I think the simple but effective narrative style - switching between killer/cops perspective suited that tale very well.

Not sure why he has been compared to King and Koontz - this isn't horror in my book and his writing style is quite different. I think in many ways he's closer to Ed McBain.

Definitely some raw talent here though also room for improvement.

Long Lankin
Long Lankin

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable achievement for a first novel, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Long Lankin (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure if this novel is aimed solely at young adults - but frankly it's too good to waste on them. Even though it features children it is not at all suitable for young children, containing several disturbing scenes which would probably give them nightmares for life. TBH I felt nervous about sleeping with the window open myself after I read it.

This novel is based on a chilling traditional ballad - like the also excellent 'Hemlock and Fire' which I will get round to reviewing sometime - and manages to be historically authentic (it's set in the late 50s) and evoke a beautiful, but terrifying part of the English countryside, a piece of land bordered by water where a terrifying monster from the 16th century has managed to evade death and still hunts for young victims. The cockney heroine could have come straight from 'The Family at One End Street', the monster reminded me a little of the film 'Jeeper Creepers' and the beauty of her descriptive writing almost matches Chesterton's 'The Doom of the Darnaways'

An excellent idea, very well executed and I will probably read the sequel as well. I feel this author has an exciting future if she can keep up this standard of writing in her future novels.

NEW TRUESHOPPING® 'LITTLE TROJAN' MULTI PURPOSE HAND HELD STEAM CLEANER 1050W WITH ACCESSORIES. FAST HEATING TIME. IDEAL FOR CLEANING A RANGE OF SURFACES FROM TILES AND WINDOWS TO RUGS AND CURTAINS. ALSO SUITABLE FOR IRONING CLOTHES.
Offered by HOUSEWARES-ONLINE

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes cleaning fun, 21 Jan. 2015
I got a steam mop for Christmas and was so pleased with it that I decided to buy this little steam cleaner to supplement it by cleaning sinks/walls/doors etc. that the big cleaner can't do.

It's very good value for money and so far as lived up to expectations. Particularly good for removing tidemarks from handbasins and bath, and good for cleaning tiles and cupboard doors as well. It also works pretty well in getting ingrained dirt out of grouting as well, saving me scrubbing away with an old toothbrush. My kitchen and bathroom have never looked so clean.

Biggest pro - it's much quicker than scrubbing with clothes and hot water. Biggest con - the steam runs out pretty quickly and it needs to be refilled but that's to be expected with such a mini cleaner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20