Profile for The Lit Doctor > Reviews

L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Wrinkle De-Crease Moisturiser 50ml
L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Wrinkle De-Crease Moisturiser 50ml
Offered by CrazyKangaroo

5.0 out of 5 stars What is this sorcery?, 8 April 2015
This has literally knocked years off my appearance. I'm going to search my attic for an ageing portrait.

first4magnets 10mm dia x 2mm thick x 3mm Countersunk North Ring Magnets - 1.2kg Pull, N42 (Pack of 10)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 28 Mar. 2015
I purchased two packs - one north, one south. When I opened the packs, some of the magnets were broken into pieces... others broke as I tried to use them. Absolute waste of money.
Comment Comment | Permalink

first4magnets 1.2 kg N42 Countersunk Neodymium South Ring Magnets (Pack of 10)
first4magnets 1.2 kg N42 Countersunk Neodymium South Ring Magnets (Pack of 10)

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst ever purchase, 28 Mar. 2015
When I opened the pack, some of the magnets were shattered into pieces. Others shattered instantly when I tried to use them. Waste of money.

A Universe From Nothing
A Universe From Nothing

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - if you can survive the bits on particle physics / quantum theory, 13 Mar. 2015
This is a fascinating and informative scientific exploration of one of the greatest - perhaps the greatest - questions to confront humanity: Why is there something rather than nothing?

The book somewhat uncomfortably straddles a divide between 'popular science' and 'hard science', simply because some of the higher-end theory around particle physics is just mind-boggling, and Krauss refuses to pull any punches with the detail. If you persevere, you'll get his drift.

Krauss is immersed in the scientific method, and I wonder whether it is to such an extent that it is responsible for his slightly pugnacious attitude to philosophy. For it is a philosophical question that lies like a shadow over all proceedings in this book - that being, what do we really mean by nothing? Krauss doesn't ignore this question - indeed it is discussed - but at the conclusion, he still refers to a universe emerging from nothingness. However, one major observation that is impossible to not take away from this book is that, really, there is no such thing as nothing. The something that is always there changes its appearance in bizarre fashion, and there is - unmentioned an unexplored in this book - the lurking question of what causes the fundamental stuff of the universe / multiverse / total-verse (my made-up word) to shift in this way. I only mention this because there is a serious attempt in this book to finally do away with the idea of a god-like creator or prime mover. As an atheist, I appreciate and enjoy the skill of this attempt, and it is largely successful. However, as much as I enjoy reading science, and value the scientific method, I am not a trained scientist. But I am a (slightly) trained philosopher, and as such, I will always look for the more difficult question that comes next. If Krauss's argument was to convince a theologian of the absence of god as a creator, I can see a situation in which, true to type, the theologian would back off down the alley of faith, and ask who it is that stirs the fundamental broth of the quantum universe - a prime mover, if not a creator! To be fair to Krauss, he makes it clear early on that it is not really viable to ask why there is something rather than nothing, but is more realistic to ask how it is that there is something rather than nothing - an important distinction.

I've rambled. This is a bloody good book, that atheists and science buffs will enjoy if they can ride out some of the more esoteric science, and which will will make believers feel very uncomfortable indeed.

BG Outdoor Indoor Fake Dummy Imitation CCTV Security Camera W/ Blinking Flashing Light Bullet Shape black TW02
Offered by iDaoDan-UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Rubbish, 3 Dec. 2014
Oh dear.

I ordered two of these. One of them snapped apart in my hand as I tried to move it on its hinge. The product is made of cheap, poor quality plastic. Very disappointed with this purchase, and would not recommend to anyone.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Football Manager 2015 (PC/Mac)
Football Manager 2015 (PC/Mac)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Issues Fixed, 12 Nov. 2014
I originally gave this version of FM a one-star review - I have left my original review below. However, since that first review, it looks like some improvements have been made. SI have released alternative official skin, which is almost identical to the beautiful FM 14 skin. Just this cosmetic change alone makes the game easier to play. It appears some other changes have been made, too. For example, I was not forced into an unnecessary team meeting that damaged morale. I'm giving the game another go, and so far enjoying it very much.

ORIGINAL REVIEW IS BELOW:
I wouldn't normally review a computer game, but I feel strongly about this. I've played the Football Manager series of games from the first version, and have found them enjoyable and absorbing. However, the latest version is awful. Why? Let me count the ways:

Interface / Visual:

The game is ugly. In particular, the dark background is a rude shock to the eyes after the clear look of the previous version. Also, the sheer array of different colour codes on various game elements is visually awful against the dark background. It looks like a four-year-old designed it with Crayolas.

Interface / User:

The reintroduction of a sidebar on the screen is a backward step. It simply takes up screen space with menu options that could be hidden away on drop-down menus... or even better, there could have been a slide-in-and-out sidebar. But no, it's just there. Taking up space. And annoyingly, it changes colour when you click anything on it.

The new tactics screen now has the usual list of your team's players, plus a list of slots for them to fill... on one vertically scrolling menu... that has no scrolling button. It is unwieldy, annoying, and if, like me and a gazillion other people, you play on a laptop with a mousepad, you're going to hate it.

Other:
Scouting... If you take charge of scouting assignment,s be prepared to navigate several screens and menus to set one assignment. Ridiculous.

Interaction: Player personalities are completely over the top, and your options for dealing with them are limited. For example, at the start of the season, I had to hold a team meeting. There was no option to skip the meeting, it was a 'must respond'. The game only gave me ONE option of something to say to the players, and they hated it. How is this realistic interaction?

Match play: Too often, the players look like they are 'skating' on the pitch. This has supposedly been fixed with a patch, but I have tried the latest update, and the problem persists.

That's just a few of the things that have annoyed me about this game. I have gone back to playing the 2014 version.

The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice
The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Book, 5 Nov. 2014
I give five stars simply for the importance of this book in the ongoing struggle between rationality and religious superstition.

The book could probably have been shorter, but Hitchens, as always, is engaging and brave.

This is a recommended read for anyone who ever thought Mother Theresa was a lovely lady.

Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Black
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Aug. 2014
This is really a fabulous little device.

When I started looking for a fitness tracker, I couldn't make my mind up which brand to go for. I tweeted asking for opinions on the various devices. Fitbit replied with a good-natured boast about their products, and I admired their cheek so much, I bought the flex.

The flex is dead simple to use, and lasts for five days before recharging . I've tested it against nike+ on the old-style iPod nano, and found it to be more accurate in terms of distance and calories.

Coupled with the iPhone app, fitbit offers a great 'gamified' fitness experience, and really does boost your motivation with its constant update of calories in and out (when you enter data for what you've eaten, of course).

What's more, you can wear the flex in the shower - you really can just wear it and forget about it.

The only problem came when my flex developed a fault and stopped working - but once I got fitbit support to listen to me (perhaps I could have explained the problem more clearly), they had a new device delivered to my door in 24 hours! Very impressive service!

I can't say enough good things about this device. I am a total fan.

VicTsing Bluetooth Wireless FM Transmitter MP3 Player with USB connection and Micro SD/TF Card Reader Slot Car Kit For iPhone 6 Plus / 6 5 5S 5C iPad Air Mini 2 Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 S2 Galaxy Note 3 2 Nexus 5/4 HTC One Blackberry Z10 Sony Xperia Z2 and more 3.5mm Audio Devices

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated Review, 14 Jun. 2014
I have updated my rating for this product from one star to four stars. The reason for this increase is the service I have received from the supplier. I originally gave a bad review because the device did not function exactly as described in the product details on Amazon - specifically, it does not wirelessly stream music from my iPhone via bluetooth - you have to use the supplied cable.

After exchanging messages with the supplier, they have agreed to change the product write-up to make it more clear exactly which functions are wireless. The supplier also refunded my money, with no obligation to return the product. This is the sign of a company that takes customer service seriously. Well done, VicTsing!

The product itself appears to be well made, and it carries out the functions that it is capable of very well.

Apple Retro Vintage Union Jack PU Leather Wallet Flip Case Cover for The New iPad 2, 3,4 360 Degree Rotation Full Sleep Wake Function
Offered by Jellybean Gorilla Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 9 Jan. 2014
The magnetic sleep / wake switch just doesn't work. Also, the ridges on the flap don't hold the iPad up properly... It just slips off. So, basically two of the three reasons I bought this product have failed. The third reason I bought it was the Union Jack design. I can confirm there is indeed a Union Jack design.

Waste of money.