Profile for Ms. N. S. De Alwis > Reviews

Content by Ms. N. S. De Alwis

Ms. N. S. De Alwis (Croydon UK)

Neuro-ophthalmology Review Manual
Neuro-ophthalmology Review Manual
by Lanning B. Kline

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 10 Mar. 2009
Not the easiest read, but packed with useful material. I keep dipping into this every time I plan a lecture.

The Photographer's Guide to Filters
The Photographer's Guide to Filters
by Lee Frost

3.0 out of 5 stars For beginners only, 17 Mar. 2008
For a complete beginner, this is probably a good introduction to filters. Even with fairly limited experience, I found this lacking in depth. The odd boxout rescued it from being a total waste of money, but I think this could be expanded with more examples to make it really worthwhile. I might also recommend the format used by Lee Filters in their little book for the illustrations.

Developing Vision & Style: A Landscape Photography Masterclass: A Masterclass in Landscape Photography (Light & Land)
by Joe Cornish

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disapointing, 17 Mar. 2008
I was really disappointed by this book - these are some of my favourite photographers and most of the photos, including those of the guests, were fantastic - some simply awesome. The text, unfortunately, I found plainly indulgent. Yes, it was nice to know how each photographer saw his creative development, but hey, I really wanted more about the photos - how did they plan them, what settings, filters, etc. And the text for photos were of such small print that it was simply annoying to read. Sorry guys, I still think you are great photographers, but the book - a wasted opportunity, I think.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2008 8:57 AM BST

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
by Bryan Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this now!!, 17 Mar. 2008
This is an awesome book. I have learnt more from this than any other single book on photography. A definite buy for newbies and even keen amatuers. Some might find some of the text a bit twee - but its well worth putting up with that for the pearls of wisdom.