Profile for Ron Strutt > Reviews

Content by Ron Strutt

Ron Strutt "Ron Strutt" (Surrey, UK)

BRITA MAXTRA Water Filter Cartridges - Pack of 6
BRITA MAXTRA Water Filter Cartridges - Pack of 6

1.0 out of 5 stars The filtered water smells and tastes musty, 1 Aug. 2016
A waste of money. I started filtering water because I moved to an area with very hard water. I had no problem until I started using the latest delivery of these filters. Half of them were ok but the rest left the water smelling and tasting extremely musty - to the point at which it was unpleasant to drink and tainted the taste of tea and coffee. I am the only person in the house so it's hardly a case of overuse nor, since half of them are ok can it be something in the tap water. I had to throw the bad ones out after a week's use.

Sennheiser HD 201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones for Studio, Performance Live and Djs - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Like listening through cotton wool, 12 April 2014
These were very disappointing. I have some Sennheiser HD202 headphones but I don't find them too comfortable to wear and they're not as good as some I've had at keeping out external sounds. The HD201s are better in the first respect but the sound quality is awful. It's as though I'm listening with cotton wool stuffed in my ears.

They may have been relatively cheap but, if you don't get reasonable sound quality, cheap can just mean nasty. Thet're certainly not value for money.

Rural Rides (Penguin Classics)
Rural Rides (Penguin Classics)
by William Cobbett

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolution by a Revolutionary, 26 Aug. 2008
We think that recent decades have seen the greatest possible changes that mankind could possibly go through. We're wrong.

William Cobbett lived through an era that was breathtaking in the change that it experienced. The agrarian economy that had sustained the country for centuries was being pushed aside by the industrial revolution, indeed, agriculture was about to experience deep decline. In politics, the loss of the American colonies - the first step in the end of the Empire - still haunted the country. The age of patrician rule was about to yield - if no more than that - with the Reform Act of 1832.

Cobbett exemplifies the contradictions of this age - passionately opposed to 'modern' economics, yet deriding of the 'old ways', patrician yet a powerful advocate of the enhanced franchise.

Cobbett gives us a record of an important turning point in our country's history and sheds light upon the causes and impacts of this period of change. He offers us lessons that may be of equal relevance in our own period of immense change.

Apart from that, Cobbett paints us a picture of a landscape that is, on the one hand, so very familiar to us, but on the other, totally alien.

However, the editorial contribution of this version of his work is poor. That anyone in the early 21st century should understand the intricacies of early 19th century politics is asking too much, and the vital explanation and understanding that the average paperback reader needs is entirely missing.