Profile for Mr. D McGrath > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Some People
Some People

5.0 out of 5 stars In defence of Cherry Red, 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Some People (Audio CD)
First of all,let me point out that I do not work for Cherry Red but, because I have been involved in a Cherry Red reissue personally,I think I should stick up for them and tell you how it works.

When an album - such as Belouis Some's "Some People" - does not sell, it can be quickly deleted and the master tapes either WIPED (many TV programmes from the 1970s like TISWAS and TOTP were also victims of this)or the master tape is in such bad condition it cannot be reused.

Cherry Red can reissue an album from an original vinyl/cassette/CD copy.The company welcomes ideas for releases from the general public like us and,if they decide to go ahead with someone's idea, encourages that person and the public to assist in the project by providing the original vinyl/cassette/CD as well as any extended mixes from 12" singles or "b" sides which were not found on the original release. Whoever helps Cherry Red realise the project gets a couple of free copies AND their name in the CD booklet.

I am very pleased to say that Cherry Red followed up on my idea to have Judie Tzuke's "Left Hand Talking" re-released. They obtained permission from the record label and borrowed my original CD, some CD singles with non-album tracks and a rare 12" vinyl with a rare dance mix. The attention to detail was brilliant and the inclusion of my name in the booklet something I will always be proud of.

Belouis Some's "Some People" has only ever been released on vinyl (and probably cassette)and CR have obviously borrowed "some" one's vinyl copy which was not in very good condition. Similarly, the 12" singles. Perhaps if one of you disgruntled reviewers has a vinyl copy still in very good condition you can contact Cherry Red via their website and - if demand warrants it - they might redo it.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2015 9:18 PM GMT

New Kind of Medicine
New Kind of Medicine

5.0 out of 5 stars GO SHEILA!!!!!!, 1 July 2009
This review is from: New Kind of Medicine (Audio CD)
As a big Three Degrees fan of the mid to late 70s, I HAD to have this album! Sheila Ferguson obviously hasn't lost any of her sparkle or lung power on this FANTASTIC recording. Why it didn't set the charts alight is a mystery to me. On the tracks where she talks to her audience she is so funny. Great listen and a great addition to my TD collection. Any TD/Sheila fan MUST look at the clip on Youtube of the Shirley Bassey show where she pretends to be one of the Three Degrees.....then Sheila breaks it up. I don't know how they filmed it without laughing.

Offered by Arc Trade Media_JAPAN

5.0 out of 5 stars DISCO DELICIOUSNESS!!!, 19 Jun. 2009
This review is from: 3d (Audio CD)
The Three Degrees and Giorgio Moroder......what an EXPLOSIVE combination!!!! What a fantastic set of tracks. For me, the TD will always be Sheila, Valerie and Helen....and Fayette Pinkney of course!!!

Shame this album is so SHORT, and being a Japanese "mini-lp" CD....bloody expensive!!!! But I crumbled and bought this AND New Dimensions and can honestly say both albums are worth every penny!!!! Beautifully presented, the girls looking totally gorgeous. Arguably, the two greatest albums The Three Degrees ever released. Watching old footage on You Tube only proved the fact that they were unique.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2011 1:00 PM GMT

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits

1.0 out of 5 stars RE-RECORDED RIP-OFF, 18 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Save your money and buy a TD CD that sounds as well as looks like Sheila Ferguson. HUGE disappointment, which was as soon as I played "The Runner"

I don't doubt the current members of the TD are all excellent vocalists.......but when you remember the Three Degrees with Sheila Ferguson, and it's her on the front want SHEILA FERGUSON!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2016 5:50 AM BST

Mistaken identity
Mistaken identity

5.0 out of 5 stars "MISTAKE" TO OVERLOOK THIS, 12 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Mistaken identity (Audio CD)
Not promoted by the record company - who should be shot - Donna Summer made an awesome album here. Bringing her sound bang up to date the only thing still there is that VOICE!!!!!! Sounding just as fanatastic as ever on this album, it's great to see Donna Summer still scorching the arse off the competition by releasing "Crayons" in 2008!!!!

Kate Bush: The biography
Kate Bush: The biography
by Rob Jovanovic

3.0 out of 5 stars Now i know why i prefer AUTObiographies!!!!, 12 Jun. 2009
Am i the ONLY Kate Bush fan who just LISTENS to her albums....WITHOUT sitting there and analysing them....or comparing one against the other.

What I will say is that the reason WHY I like Kate Bush is because her albums ARE so different. So what if The Dreaming bombed in the UK album charts compared to the previous three albums? I like it, I still play it.

If anyone asked Kate exactly what a particular song is about I am sure she would tell you......but personally I'd rather stick with my own idea.

As for this book.........a bit heavy at times. Not really interested in Rob Jovanovic's opinions or views on her albums. The book told me a few things I didn't know (hey, I was only 9 in 1978) and it had some nice pictures.....but as I say, not interested to know where Kate lives, what she has for breakfast, I don't want to rummmage through her garbage nor do I want to drink her bath water thankyou!!!

JUST want to put on a Kate album (the first four STILL do it for me) and relax!!!

What a Life!
What a Life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!!!, 19 May 2009
This review is from: What a Life! (Audio CD)
Had to hunt high and low for this JUST for one track...."Heart Telegraph" which was included in the cult Helen Slater movie "The Legend of Billie Jean"

Worth all the effort!!!

Tina Turner - One Last Time/Rio '88/Wildest Dreams [DVD] [2007]
Tina Turner - One Last Time/Rio '88/Wildest Dreams [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Tina Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB VALUE!!!!, 19 May 2009
Great spacesaver and got these for a great price.

Wouldn't it be great if EMI re-released all of Tina's "live" and promo video recordings which were only available on VHS as a nice multi DVD boxed set?!

Wild Lady of Rock (1979) Nice 'n Rough (1982) Private Dancer (Live) 1985, Live at Camden Palace (1987)........come on EMI!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another welcome reissue, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Select (Audio CD)
Bearing in mind that the CD versions of Kim's first three albums were changing hands on Ebay for silly money, all of us Kim Wilde fans from around the world should give Cherry Pop Records a huge round of applause!!!!

Like the reissue of her first album, and the recent reissue of her third "Catch As Catch Can", Cherry Pop have done a blinding job with the remastering and the addition of bonus tracks. If any artist was due a catalogue was Kim Wilde.

Fingers crossed the rest of her catalogue will get the same treatment.........and better still, a COMPLETE promo video collection on DVD!!!!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2009 10:04 PM GMT

Red Hot Rhythm & Blues
Red Hot Rhythm & Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars A "SUPREME" recording, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Red Hot Rhythm & Blues (Audio CD)
Definitely the best thing Diana Ross released in the 1980s. I can remember buying this on cassette in 1987 becuase I liked the cover and I love her 70s recordings.........and what an album!!!!! This album is RED HOT and no mistake.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2011 6:36 PM BST