Profile for rf > Reviews

rf

Older Boys Bedlam Camouflage Wincy Pyjama - Size 9 / 10 Years
Older Boys Bedlam Camouflage Wincy Pyjama - Size 9 / 10 Years

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good quality, good fit, 22 Jan. 2015
My 8-year-old son was invited to a military themed sleepover party, and I got these for him to use there. They are pretty good quality, especially for the low price. He is quite big for his age, and the 9-10 size fitted him perfectly, as I expected.

Whitbourn: Annelies (Westminster William Voices, Lincoln Trio) (Naxos: 8573070)
Whitbourn: Annelies (Westminster William Voices, Lincoln Trio) (Naxos: 8573070)

5.0 out of 5 stars Immediate but enduring beauty and tragedy, 17 Jan. 2013
I am an enthusiastic, but only moderately knowledgeable general listener - not a professional.

But this is music which seems to me to have been written for people like myself to enjoy and be moved by - rather than a professional exercise, for other composers to judge on the basis of fashion and sophistication (or sophistry).

I must say that I think this is a wonderful piece.

No-one has suggested that the performance is anything other that first-rate, and I entirely agree with that.

But cannot the "two-star" critics hear that Whitbourn has completely captured the spirit, humanity and tragedy of Anne's story in this amazing score? Do they not understand that this is a piece of music which is likely to be listened to, performed and re-recorded in the future because it will enter and lodge itself in the hearts of ordinary listeners?

I was intrigued when I was told that this was the first libretto for which permission had been granted to use the full text of Anne Frank.

Having now listened several times, I am convinced that Whitbourn has made something really lasting out of it.

This is Whitbourn's masterpiece, and it is a masterpiece. Five stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute joy for parents and children, 16 Nov. 2011
I had not come across Utley's work before. A friend recommended this as a bedtime read and I am very grateful. I read it out loud to my children, who found it both exciting and hilarious - giggles every evening. I have to admit that I myself also found it very amusing and utterly charming. This is a "school story", based (I think?) in the early 1960s. It is therefore in the tradition of the great Jennings (anyone remember him?), and is similarly truthful and accurately atmospheric - although it is fantastic and mildly satirical (while Jennings is almost realistic). But it really is just as funny! This Christmas, I am planning to hand out this book to all my middle-aged friends with children. It is difficult to think of another good read which so perfectly brings so much pleasure to both generations. I have heard that there might be a sequel in the pipeline, and I hope this is true. Certainly five stars from me.

Taylor Takes Charge: A Portland Court Adventure
Taylor Takes Charge: A Portland Court Adventure
by Charles Utley

by Charles Utley

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute joy for parents and children, 16 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Taylor Takes Charge (Paperback)