Profile for S. Beddoes > Reviews

Silver Grey Cord Band Curtain Tie Back Tieback
Silver Grey Cord Band Curtain Tie Back Tieback
Offered by Maple textiles

4.0 out of 5 stars Just fine!, 30 Aug. 2016
Did the trick just fine and looks great! Be aware that you get ONE per order, so you need to order two unless you only have one curtain.

Art is Dead: the asdf book
Art is Dead: the asdf book
by Thomas Ridgewell

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing you haven't seen in asdfMovie., 30 Aug. 2016
If you've seen asdfMovie, you'll already know the majority of these comics in here. However, it's still funny, and nice to own.

Racing Office Computer Desk Chair Bucket Seat (Orange & Black)
Racing Office Computer Desk Chair Bucket Seat (Orange & Black)
Offered by Turborevs

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great!, 30 Aug. 2016
So far so good! It's super comfortable and has stayed all in one piece for a good while which is more than I can say for half the office chairs I've ever owned. Slightly awkward to put together. Looks great. Please note that it's slightly more orange than in the pictures here, which make it look more of an amber colour.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on!, 30 Aug. 2016
Works great for me. Relatively easy to assemble, sturdy, excellent stuff.

Croydex Chrome Plated Mild Steel Rust Free Stick 'N' Lock Plus Adhesive or Screw Fix Toilet Roll Holder, Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Aug. 2016
Stuck fast, stayed on, can't complain!

Doctor Strange
Doctor Strange
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly animated AND boring!, 30 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Doctor Strange (Amazon Video)
Painfully boring, terribly animated, completely uninteresting. I watched this to try and get hyped for the upcoming live action movie, knowing nothing of Doctor Strange but being very fond of some of the DC animated movies. I've only seen one other Marvel animated film, Planet Hulk, which was pretty good. This one has none of the sophisticated animation of the Batman animated films (some of them almost anime-like), nor the exciting plot. It feels like an episode from some short-lived Saturday morning cartoon, with worse animation. Waste of time!

Tokyo Godfathers [DVD] [2004]
Tokyo Godfathers [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Satoshi Kon

3.0 out of 5 stars Be advised: No English language track!!, 26 Aug. 2016
Be aware there is no English language track on this DVD! There's Spanish... But no English! If you're somebody who prefers to read the subtitles and listen to the Japanese audio then you'll be fine, but if like me you like to watch the animation without the distraction of reading, you're screwed, and nothing in the description makes this clear. Be advised!

The Exorcist - Complete Anthology [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
The Exorcist - Complete Anthology [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Ellen Burstyn

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing box set, 25 Oct. 2015
The Exorcist is one of my absolute favourite movies, both the original version and the 2001 re-cut version (also included in this set). I also love Exorcist 3, and the prequels are somewhat entertaining. Exorcist II: The Heretic is an absolute train wreck of a movie but an interesting piece of cinematic history at least. When I saw that the entire series was coming to Blu-Ray I had to pre-order, if not just to add Exorcist III to my Blu-Ray collection (having previously owned the original film on Blu-Ray and Exorcist III on DVD). Hell, as much of a silly mess as The Heretic was, it'd be interesting to see those aerial shots of Africa in HD.

The box set does indeed contain Blu-Ray prints of all of the films, the two versions of the original film being the exact two-disk set we got a little while back of the original film, and Exorcist: The Beginning and Dominion are decent HD transfers which I assume are the Blu-Ray disks previously released in the US only, but, much to my disappointment, Exorcist II and III appear to be straight up DVD transfers. They're blurry, murky, noisy (not cool HD 'film-grain', just noise) and lacking decent special features. If you already had the DVDs of the two sequels, there is absolutely nothing to be gained here, which is a real shame considering what an under-appreciated gem Exorcist III is. I can understand why nobody would bother creating a new HD transfer of Exorcist II, but the third film deserved an upscaling at the very least.

The box arrived crushed, I had to re-shape it, and the disks all fell straight out the moment I moved it. Yep, it's one of those flimsy folding cardboard sets which I thought were on their way out, and a bad one at that. It just has small slots cut in the card which you slot the disks into, no proper holders, so the disks all just slip right out if you don't hold it upright. The disks themselves are plain silver with the film titles printed on in a nasty baby blue (they didn't even reprint the disk designs from the first movie, even though the content is identical). The disks are oddly slightly translucent, I dunno if that comes from cheap materials or if that's just how a Blu-Ray disk looks when it's not been printed on or what but it's interesting. On top of all this, its dimensions are slightly off, so if you have a nice, tidy Blu-Ray collection, this one won't fit right, having a thinner spine but wider sides than other Blu-Rays - that's a nitpick but I know what some collectors are like!

I've added some photos so you can see the flimsy card and cheap design.

I'll very briefly go over the films themselves, though.
- The Exorcist, the movie you really don't need me to tell you anything about, has a gorgeous HD transfer, as it was before, it's like owning the original film reel, absolutely beautiful. 2001 re-edit is the same.
- Exorcist II: The Heretic, famously a disaster of a movie, the "Blu-Ray" is a straight up DVD transfer, no improvement at all. Not even slight. Sure, it's one of the stupidest sequels you'll ever see, but it's amazing what an HD transfer can bring out in a film's artistic direction sometimes, I was looking forward to seeing some of the nuances in John Boorman's visuals in higher resolution (and admittedly I wanted to see the grown-up Linda Blair in HD, I have something of a crush!)
- Exorcist III, a hell of a film, with a cult following, let down only by studio meddling (and the infamy of Exorcist II), deserves better. Like Exorcist II, you might as well be watching the DVD. There's no perceptible difference at all here.
- Exorcist: The Beginning is pretty fun, it's corny but as a distraction it's a decent horror film, with some great nods to the original. The HD transfer is adequate; it's better than a DVD at least, but the film itself has a strange look, a lot of soft-focus shots, crappy matte shots and what appears to be airbrushing (did they do that in 2004?)
- Dominion: Prequel to The Exorcist is an alternate version of Exorcist: The Beginning, not a followup to it. In fact it's the original version of The Beginning, which the studio didn't like and thus had a different director re-write and re-shoot the whole thing. It's much less dramatic, and lacking in pretty much any scares, but it's a much more intelligent and interesting film than The Beginning. Its HD transfer is similar, but it has always had some very cheesy visual effects. I'm not sure if the cheesy effects are the result of the film being canned and re-shot, or if they are effects which were added later on no budget in order to get it released. Either way, they look even cheesier in HD, but it's still amazing that a studio actually released the original version of this.

So all in all a disappointing box set. In general I'd say it's only truly worth owning an Exorcist box set in order to have Exorcist III, but here it's such a poor transfer that it offers no improvement over the DVD. Also, it's a crime that the studio would release, in its entirety, the director's original vision for Exorcist: The Beginning (as Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist) but not a Director's Cut of Exorcist III (or "Legion: Sequel to The Exorcist"?), famously brought down by similar studio meddling and reshoots.

Overall, unless you're a big fan of The Beginning/Dominion, you'd do better to just pick up the original film on Blu-Ray (it does contain both versions), if you're a fan of Exorcist III, you're not missing out by just having the DVD, and the same goes if you are (for some reason) a fan of Exorcist II. I'm considering returning it myself.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2016 9:21 PM BST

NETGEAR A6210-100PES AC1200 802.11ac Dual Band (300/867 Mbps) High Gain Wi-Fi USB 3.0 Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb! + Can confirm working with Windows 10., 22 Sept. 2015
I built myself a new desktop PC a few days ago, finally moving back from laptops/all-in-ones, mainly for work purposes. I got an affordable WiFi adaptor and found my internet right down at standard Broadband speeds (5Mbps or so), which was frustrating. After upgrading to this thing, though, it shot up to the kind of speed I'd expect from my fibre connection, and about a third faster than any of my laptops or all-in-one computers reached.

If I use the dock and cable and sit this thing on my desk, I get around 35Mbps from speedtest.net. That's right - it comes with a desktop dock, so you can move it away from all the interference your computer will cause and get maximum results. In desktop mode it also unfolds and extends if you need to squeeze a little extra speed out of it. I keep it folded up as it looks much nicer and tidier on my desk that way, but unfolding it does grant me a couple of extra Mbps if I'm in a squeeze (let's be honest, that's not often).

If you're using a laptop and don't want to use the desktop dock, unfolded it'll sit at a decent distance from it to cut down on interference, but to be fair most laptops have built in WiFi these days, so you're more likely going to be using this on a desktop. To be honest, you need to use the desktop dock, because it's a little wideand plugged into a tower you'll find it ends up pointing sideways and obscuring the neighbouring USB ports, but the option is there if you really don't want it to be sitting on your desk.

Sorted out all my WiFi problems and then some! Nice one guys!

Also, I can confirm this is working like a charm on Windows 10 - UPDATE! After just under a month of use, one day I turned my PC on and it just didn't want to connect to the internet. After a lot of trial and error and frustration, the solution was to completely remove all traces of NetGear's drivers and just let Windows 10 do it's thing. In other words - IF YOU WANT THIS THING TO WORK WELL ON WINDOWS 10, DO NOT INSTALL THE SOFTWARE! JUST PLUG IT IN AND LET WINDOWS DO THE REST. NetGear's own software can cause conflict in Windows 10, but Windows 10 already has its own drivers etc to handle it for you.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2016 9:31 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little speaker bar with great features! Ideal for Mac!, 11 Sept. 2015
I bought a Dell monitor to connect up to my MacBook Pro when working at home and wanted some louder sound than the MacBook's internal speakers. It took me a lot of deciding before I got this one, as reviews have been varied in how they describe the sound quality etc. I picked it up in the end and I'm glad I did! Not only does this thing sound excellent for the price, but it has an awesome set of features for a Mac user like myself (and I'm assuming PC too).

If you're on the fence like I was, allow me to clear things up for you!

The sound bar has a single cable in the back, which you plug into one of the USB ports on the Dell monitor (and make sure you have your USB downflow cable connecting the monitor to your computer so the USB ports will work!), and the speaker clips on and slides neatly into place. The cable can be neatly propped up on top of the speaker and hidden behind the monitor. You can probably fit it behind your monitor's cable cover if you use it (I don't, I like to have quick access to the USB ports). The cable is longer than necessary for this, probably for people who might be using this with a monitor that doesn't have USB ports, but I left the cable coiled up the way it came out of the box. As somebody who used an iMac before moving to the convenience of a Macbook, I've become a tad obsessive over minimising visible cables, and using up as little space as possible, so this was ideal for me.

The sound quality is probably about the same as what you'd get from an iMac speaker, except it goes a lot louder and has a lot more bass. It won't compete with a full set of speakers, of course.

It's a clever little device in that it's more than a speaker - It doesn't even plug into a 3.5mm jack, it uses USB and it's actually a full-on sound card. Why is this awesome? Well, that volume knob on the side is quite different to what you'd expect! You can spin it around forever, there's no stopping point, and spinning it actually acts as your volume control keys, adjusting the volume via the software. This goes great with Mac as you can still use the volume keys on your keyboard, and it still displays the volume bars on screen if you adjust with the knob.

Some reviews have reported ambient hissing from the speaker - I can confirm that there is a very subtle hiss, but nothing you won't get from most sets of speakers. To be honest I never noticed it until I was sitting in total silence one night, it's very subtle. Some reviews have mentioned interference buzzing - I've not encountered this at all. Some have reported low sound quality, I definitely can't get behind that as for its tiny size the thing has superb bass and the mids and treble are decent as well. If you're an avid music fan, audiophile or music producer who doesn't like to use headphones, I'm pretty sure you need to get yourself a full speaker set anyway as I doubt any miniature sound bars like this will satisfy you.

One thing to consider is that this hissing also finds its way into your headphones if you plug them into the socket on the device, and it's more noticeable in those. However, if you're using a Mac, since this thing works as a sound card, plugging your headphones directly into the Mac will automatically switch sound outputs back to the Mac itself, so you can bypass the speaker entirely to use your headphones. Removing the headphones will then automatically switch audio back to the speaker bar. So, if you're using a Mac, you're probably better to ignore the headphone socket in the speaker bar entirely and use the one on your computer.

The only other potential issue I can think of is that the thing is pretty loud. At 1-bar volume, it's still at a volume that I wouldn't like to be playing stuff at if my other half is sleeping in the next room. OSX has the option to hold Alt to do fine volume tuning, and get it down to a quarter of a bar, and that works well enough, but if you need something super quiet and secret, headphones might be necessary.

All in all, I highly recommend this speaker bar, it was ideal for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2015 11:08 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4