Profile for Annette Curtain > Reviews

Content by Annette Curtain

Annette Curtain "Eh See" (Bucks, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Quality In-Line Rocker Switch for Round or Flat Wire for Small Appliance or Lamps in Black Accepts up to 3 Core Round or Flat Wire
Offered by Art Deco Emporium Ltd.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and nasty., 22 May 2016
On the bright side, it works. Not convinced it will work for very long though! Very low quality, flimsy plastic which cheapens the look of my nice art deco lamp.

Twinzee Lemon Manual Squeezer - Citrus Press - Unique Design 2 Bowls Built-In-1 Lemon Squeezer - Made From Aluminum
Offered by Twinz Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeeze with EAZE!, 15 April 2016
We've all tried loads of "magic" kitchen gadgets, right? Very few make it past the first use and they usually end up cluttering-up our drawers and cupboards or taking the trip to the local charity shop in "the black bag of doom" so somebody else can make the same mistake a bit cheaper and "in a good cause".
Well, sorry folks, but this beastie is just the best way to squeeze a lime or lemon, full stop! For years I've been wrestling with an old lemon squeezer dish thing and whether I'm juicing for a marinade for my fajitas or for a marguerita cocktail, it's always been a pain. With this Twinzee you just slice the lime or lemon in half, pop it in the bowl "the wrong way round" (flat cut side of fruit towards the curved bowl) and then close the handle. It easily squeezes out all the juice and turns the outer skin inside-out so you can see there's nothing left to squeeze.
Sometimes there's a little bit of splashback if you squeeze very quickly (and lemon/lime juice will stain clothing), so either wear an apron or be
careful out there.
It all seems pretty solidly made out of metal and it says it's dishwasher-friendly (although you'll obviously need to remove any pips and mush lurking in the bowl before putting it in the washer).
Yep, I like it!

Twin DualShock Analogue Controller for Sony PS2
Twin DualShock Analogue Controller for Sony PS2

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 21 Jun. 2013
The quality is dreadful. Buttons feel clunky and sticky, plastic feels cheap and thin. No idea how they actually play because I haven't managed to get them to work at all!!!

Fine Day (James Holden Remix) (James Holden Remix)
Fine Day (James Holden Remix) (James Holden Remix)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK version, 21 Jun. 2013
I know I'm a bit old fashioned, but I did quite like the fact that in the old days you used to hear a song on the wireless (tee hee), then rush down to the record shop and buy the 7" vinyl, skip home and pop it on the gramophone. There WAS only one version and you knew what you were buying!
Don't get me wrong, I love the convenience of downloading music in an instant and it's great to have so much choice, but I was a bit bewildered by the sheer number of versions I was offered, and from the sample clips I couldn't work out which was my favourite version (most sounded exactly the same or didn't include the section which was different)!
Never mind - this is a great song, and a quite nice version, so I'm happy overall. I'm too tight to buy more versions to see if I can find a better one, but I'm pretty sure there IS one out there!!!

Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ33-016G-B35) - Black
Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ33-016G-B35) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ... but maybe TOO small!!, 21 Jun. 2013
Works fine, great product.

It really IS very small though! I put a small mobile phone strap on it, which means I can keep it on a key ring and avoid losing it or leaving it behind (car won't start without the keys!!).
Bit of a tight fit in some USB sockets and with so little to grab hold of, it can be a bit of a struggle to retrieve.

Overall though, very happy - if you're looking for a very small USB stick that packs a big punch you won't go far wrong with this.

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Black
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay!, 21 Jun. 2013
Compact, sits well in the hand, easy to install, wasn't a bad price.

The mouse pointer seems to jump around from time to time on the screen on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS.
Tried reinstalling drivers etc but hasn't fixed it. It's OK, but an occasional annoyance.

RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel and hear the quality, 21 Jun. 2013
These feel well made, sit in the ear nicely and sound great.
There are so many in-ear earphones around and price doesn't seem to be much of an indicator of sound quality.
These perform well with spoken word, classical music, techno music, bass-heavy music and rock. Lots of detail and good response across the frequency range - no cardboard boxy middle like some earphones.

Overall I'm very happy with the quality for the money!

MathsTutor: GCSE Maths Tutorials, Higher Level - DVD-ROM for PC/Mac
MathsTutor: GCSE Maths Tutorials, Higher Level - DVD-ROM for PC/Mac
by CGP Books
Edition: DVD-ROM

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and useful way to revise!, 8 May 2012
RRP is £5.95 but this seems to be regularly available for under a fiver on Amazon. At that rate it's an excellent value for money revision tool for all GCSE Maths students.
Lots of video clips explaining topics and then example exam questions with a button to let you print and try the question yourself before you watch and see how it's done.
I think its particular strength is in helping students to learn independently of their teacher - for example if you get stuck on a past-paper exam question just look up the topic and see how it works.
Many videos have a small quirk (look out for the fight between presenters over who is going to answer one of the questions) which just lightens the mood enough to keep you revising a bit longer.
If you're on track for an A* then you might not find all of it so useful, but when you think what you'd pay a private tutor for this much help, I'd say this DVD-ROM is a great value investment. I've certainly recommended it to all my GCSE classes!

Panasonic KX-TG8522EB DECT Twin Digital Cordless Phone Set with Answer Machine - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice indeed!, 24 April 2012
We were happy for years with our REALLY old fashioned plug-in telephone after having tried various handsets and cordless units which all broke down or crackled or buzzed after a short time.

However, we needed a bit of flexibility so that we could take calls in a different room and quick-dial numbers from a built-in phone book. I know, how quaint, but now we're solidly in the twenty first century, the time has come to fully embrace the twentieth!

After quite a bit of research we went with these and I can report ...

Good bits:
* Nice compact, good-looking phones
* Easy to use phone book - put numbers in one phone and easily transfer to the other
* Caller display is useful
* Answer machine works well
* They hold their charge well
* Sound quality is very good - lovely and clear (even for one user who has hearing difficulty)
* You can use them as an intercom (so you can ring down for a cup of tea if you're poorly in bed!!!)

Not so good:
* The base unit always needs to be plugged in to the mains

Err, that's a bit of a lame 'not so good', but I had to put something.

Basically we're 100% satisfied!

Sony KDL32EX523BU 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Edge LED Internet TV with Freeview HD (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm ... disappointing. Very!, 30 Mar. 2012
We decided to get rid of our old fashioned MONSTER telly because people were laughing at it! Not sure it was a good decision overall ...

Good bits:
* Sleek and slim TV takes up hardly any space at all in our front room.
* The internet widget (had to pay extra for the dongle) works well so we can watch clips on YouTube or watch /listen to TV/radio programmes on BBC iPlayer.
* I've positioned it so there are no cables or wires visible, so it's clutter free.
* It was very easy to set up.

Not so good bits:
* It cost a LOT for what it is (when you factor in the dongle and wall bracket).
* The picture is OK ... if you sit directly in front of it, but stray more than a few degrees either side and it looks very washed out. (Yes I've tried altering all the settings and even using a THX DVD to calibrate the display, and it does look good head-on, but the whole family can't sit in the same seat to watch!)
* The sound is absolutely dreadful. It's a joke. Seriously. It's like listening to a toy speaker in a tin. (Yes, you can buy external speakers, but that will add to the cost and also the cables and wires).
* The iPlayer / YouTube function is such hard work to operate - typing in words to search is very cumbersome and sooo frustratingly slow - then you have to start all over again if you make a mistake! AAAGGGHHH!
* I downloaded the android app to operate the TV from my phone, thinking it might be easier to operate (eg by enabling you to use the keyboard). No, don't bother. It's purely a gimmick to try to entice those who've got smartphones to buy the product. It kind of works, but what a faff.
* I downloaded the firmware update in order to switch off the annoying beep when you turn the TV on ... but why wasn't that option in the original firmware release?
* One main reason people buy LED tellies is so they can mount them flat on the wall - well, the aerial socket sticks straight out the back rather than pointing downwards, so forget it! (see photo)
* The wireless dongle slots into the USB socket ... but juts out 3cm beyond the edge of the screen!! It looks silly and is vulnerable to someone knocking it as they walk by and damaging it. (see photo) (Oh, and there is only one USB socket - which means lots of plugging and unplugging if you've got programmes on hard discs)

The whole thing looks like it was developed in a rush so that Sony could say they had all the latest features, but it just hasn't been thought through. Fundamentally it is lacking in visual / sound quality and the internet features are clumsy to operate. I went for Sony because they had such a good reputation for TVs over the years (at least with old CRT TVs), but am quite shocked at how much worse the basic picture and sound are than my 20 year old CRT TV it replaced! Really don't understand all the RAVE reviews (though many are for different TVs if you look closely)!

There isn't anything devastatingly WRONG with it so I don't feel justified in sending it back - technically it does what it says on the box. But I do feel disappointed when I switch it on :-(
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2012 4:51 PM BST