Profile for Leigh > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming tale, 16 Dec. 2012
A lovely book, giving a little insight and very thoughtprovoking view of life working on the streets. Truly heartwarming how this little feline angel has given James his life back. I wish them both every happiness together.

A Christmas Carol
A Christmas Carol

4.0 out of 5 stars Just gorgeous, 16 Nov. 2012
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Kindle Edition)
Everyone knows the story, it's been redone so many times as film, cartoon, etc. etc. but nothing beats settling down and reading Dickens' own words, even if on an electronic device which Dickens would be astounded at!. Just a superb, heartwarming story, written beautifully. I never bore of it, could read it again and again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb tablet - but cheaper elsewhere Amazon!, 10 Oct. 2012
Love my Nexus 7, so light and portable; responsive and superb display. Very easy set up - Google Play is fab. Such a handy tablet.

BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB Black - tablets (QNX, Slate, BlackBerry Tablet OS, Black, 2.1+EDR, 1024 x 600 pixels)
Offered by Bellatel

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't even get past set-up!, 10 Oct. 2012
Bought a Playbook, with great excitement; as I have a Bold 9700 and love it. Got it home, and saw no more than the first 3 screens of initial set-up - it just would not connect to my WiFi! spent 3 hours to the Blackberry Support and my ISP helpline, no one could help! Changed router settings, allsorts.. returned it and bought Google Nexus 7 - which is a piece of cake - brilliant! Really disappointed in RIM as, apparently, the connection problem is big in the UK and nothing is being done about it.

Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics)
Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics)
by Jane Austen

2.0 out of 5 stars I must be such a heathen, 7 Aug. 2012
I'm a little embarrassed (just a little though, I'll get over it) to say I gave up on this book. I just don't get it. I must be such a heathen. I'm not into chick-lit or Fifty Shades; I love historical novels, I enjoy Charles Dickens, so I'm not completely brain dead, but I just find this book too much like hard work. Oh, and I got really irritated that every OTHER word is written in CAPITALS for EMPHASIS.

Gold, Babies and the Brothers Muldoon
Gold, Babies and the Brothers Muldoon

5.0 out of 5 stars When will Skulduggery the Movie be made...?!, 6 Aug. 2012
Another great story by Derek Landy featuring Valkerie and the hilarious Skulduggery. As I read these books, I am just picturing the movie in my head. They would be brilliant. Very entertaining, well written, funny books. Perfect reading.

Fifty Shades of Grey: Movie Tie-in
Fifty Shades of Grey: Movie Tie-in

3.0 out of 5 stars Less, "Oh my God!", more, "Oh my God, why did I buy this?", 30 July 2012
Fell for the hype, bought it for Kindle. Read it all to see what the fuss was about, won't be buying the rest of the trilogy. Very repetitive. Badly written. Honestly don't get why people "Can't put it down"?! They must read some utter dross usually if this excites them.

Wait For Me!: Memoirs of the Youngest Mitford Sister
Wait For Me!: Memoirs of the Youngest Mitford Sister

5.0 out of 5 stars I've utterly fallen for all things Devonshire!, 15 Jun. 2012
This book is utterly captivating. What a fascinating family and history! Prompted to find out more after the BBC's programmes on Chatsworth, husband and I jumped in the car and drove three and a half hours to visit. I simply fell in love with the place and wanting to know more about this amazing family, I ordered the kindle edition of Wait For Me! I couldn't put it down. It is so well written; very entertaining and informative. It is interesting, poignant and very humorous. I bookmarked several passages and anecdotes which made me laugh out loud. (My favourite being, "Some monkey's orphan has taken my suckments"). It also brought tears to my eyes as DD describes the passing of dearly loved friends and family. An excellent read.

A Discovery of Witches: Soon to be a major TV series (All Souls 1) (All Souls Trilogy)

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed to deliver, 20 May 2012
SPOILER:

The premise of this book appealed to me. It has all of my favourite ingredients; vampires, witches, books, wine, history, horses and travelling back to Tudor England! It should have been a hit..! and yet, it focused on... tea..? and yoga..? and 'wolfing down' inordinate amounts of food...? COME ON!?

Utterly boring characters (perhaps with the exception of Ysabeau and Tabitha) and what seemed like a very disjointed plot made for a test of endurance which I will not repeat with the sequel. I can't give up on a book I've started, so I ploughed on with this, but by halfway when NOTHING had happened, other than the weak and insipid leggings-clad Diana rowing and doing yoga and drinking gallons of 'fragrant, steamy tea' and devouring cooked breakfasts; I thought of throwing the towel in several times.

The 'intelligent person's Twilight'? I don't think so. Twilight may not be a literary masterpiece, but it blows this bilge out of the water. This is over flowery text pretending to be intelligent by referencing scientific and historical books. This doesn't work.. at all.

Sorry Deborah Harkness, not impressed.

Zumba 2 Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Zumba 2 Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Offered by WonderwoodsTreasures

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for it! Time Flies!, 5 Feb. 2012
Zumba 2 is SUCH an improvement on the first 'game' (which I got rid of straight away .. couldn't follow it!) This is excellent. It's fun, great music and the time flies as you're burning calories. I really enjoy it (and I'm no gym-bunny) but this definately gets results. Have plenty of water and a towel handy, you WILL sweat, you WILL lose weight and tone up, by you WILL enjoy it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5