Profile for Ian Ward-Bolton > Reviews

OMINOES - English Deutsch Francais Italiano Espanol
OMINOES - English Deutsch Francais Italiano Espanol
Offered by docsmagic

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun mix of creating and sabotaging, 11 Jun. 2017
This is a great game, from a great team. I was lucky enough to meet them one night at a local board-gaming group on the date of the EU Referendum (June 2016). We played a pre-release version of Ominoes as well as their other two games, Sandcastles and Frankenstein's Bodies. What I loved most about these three is that they all follow a theme of building something yourself but also screwing over other players, and they get the mix just about right to keep it friendly and avoid table-flipping situations. (I'd bought one of each before the night was over.) One year on and Ominoes has won them an award at the world's 3rd largest board games convention!

Go Coco Natural Coconut Water 330ml (Pack of 12 - Tetra Pack)
Go Coco Natural Coconut Water 330ml (Pack of 12 - Tetra Pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth trying, but you might become hooked!, 2 Nov. 2016
Coconut water is too expensive to drink neat, so I dilute with a fair amount of water. Out of all the brands I have tried (Naked, Innocent and VitaCoco and this), Go Coco is far and away my favourite. I can make 500ml last a day mixed with more than 2 litres of water, and am now going to try making 330ml last the day (or potentially longer) to keep costs down. Why am I so bothered about this stuff? Well, I have found drinking this really helps suppress appetite and it tastes nice - I can down a glass easily and get back to work! - and it's meant to be healthy. So I would recommend giving it a try at the very least to see if it works for you.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best potty you will ever buy, 5 Aug. 2016
Of all the potties we've had (over about 8 years for three different children), this is definitely the best. It's easy to empty due to removable bowl that pours nicely, the lid keeps it neat when not in use and it also doubles as a little step for washing hands. Most importantly, our youngest happily takes herself to it and will sit patiently for nature to run its course. :)

Many Will Learn
Many Will Learn

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're trying to fall asleep, this song is for you, 15 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Many Will Learn (MP3 Download)
I've had this song on my iPod's "Insomnia" playlist for years, to help me get to sleep, and now I use it on my children too, to great effect. And, in the unlikely event that sleep is not achieved, you've at least listened to a really gentle and beautiful song and relaxed your mind.

2010 FIFA World Cup (PS3)
2010 FIFA World Cup (PS3)
Offered by Renaissance

4.0 out of 5 stars An innovative fun game that will last a good few years, 29 Jun. 2010
I have played this game a lot since I bought it just over a week ago, and have even carried on playing since England got destroyed 4-1 by Germany on Sunday ...

I actually see it outlasting FIFA 10, and the upcoming FIFA 11, because it is based around a single moment in time and a single event, and the playability and presentation are practically spot-on. Sure, there will be some painful memories of the real England team's dismal efforts in 2010, but this game offers you the chance to take a trip to South Africa in 2010 again and again, each time with a chance to change history and put right what once went wrong (for whichever team doesn't end up winning it)!

One particularly fantastical way you can do this is to take part in the Captain Your Country (CYC) mode and create a brand new player, for any country you like, who you control exclusively in every match (the other 10 players on your team are CPU-controlled) for that country in the build-up to the tournament and the finals themselves.

Your player gradually improves in skills and moves from B-Team Internationals to Friendlies to World Cup Qualifiers and, hopefully, beyond. I found this a good way to get some shooting practice on the game, since you can call for passes and usually your other players will do what you ask. I had fun asking Rooney to pass to me when he was ready to shoot for goal, and he pretty much always set me up for a net-buster.

If you win the tournament with this player, you can use him in other offline game modes, so you could choose to start again, on the path to the finals, but this time controlling the whole team now, including your new player. I think this is the best way to make things turn out how they should have. "If only there had been a real Sabrien Reed playing for England!"

Another great feature that will make this game last is "The Story of Qualifying". These are challenging scenarios from the qualifying stages, where you are teleported into the middle of a game and have to achieve some objectives like winning the game, not conceding any more goals, etc.

For example, you could have to play as Denmark, from the 88th minute, when Portgual have just made it 2-1 with a Deco penalty. Game-time passes in real time and you have to try to win the match, in the remaining seven minutes (there are five mins of injury time). You can download more scenarios from the 2010 World Cup now that it is in progress and you can also unlock scenarios from World Cup 2006.

(I found the commentary on the scenarios I've tried so far to be particularly good. I don't know if they have taken actual commentary from those games or not, but the acting is pretty believable.)

I see CYC and this "Story of" mode to be very good innovations for a football game. Well done, EA Sports!

Why only four stars then? Well, because there are some annoying things that can happen:

Firstly, there seems to be no way to cancel a call for a pass in CYC mode, so if you mean to call for one (press X) but the ball is on its way to you at the time then you will end up doing a pass (which could end up going anywhere and therefore reduce your passing accuracy score, and subsequent Player Rating). That has happened to me a few times and is especially irritating!

Another problem with the game is that it has crashed for me twice already. One time, I had just scored my first hat-trick to unlock an Objective and it died on a still shot of Fabio Capello in the 80th minute, which made me want to punch the man even harder than normal. Another time was last night, when I won the World Cup with the aforementioned Sabrien Reed captaining and it died during the celebrations, so it didn't save the fact I had won and I had to win all over again. I won by more this time, so maybe it wasn't all bad! If only the real-life game between England and Germany had crashed, and we could restart!

Don't let these minor complaints put you off though. This really is a great game and it can be very good fun, even if you are playing single-player, like I have been so far. I particularly enjoyed performing different goal celebrations, of which there must be at least fifty.

If you get this game, I recommend playing on Amateur difficulty at first and just enjoying scoring and celebrating, and only upping the difficulty when you want a real challenge. Or just trying the scenarios, which have a set difficulty level anyway.

p.s. Another tip I might as well share is that holding L2 and then doing R1 + Shoot gives a better Finesse shot than just doing R1 + Shoot.

The Mind Map Book (new edition) (Mind Set)
The Mind Map Book (new edition) (Mind Set)
by Tony Buzan

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have book for everyone, 25 Aug. 2008
This book tells you everything you need to know about what Mind Maps are, why they are so effective on such a wide range of applications, and how to create them. It's full of colourful examples too.

Why is this a must-have? Because mind maps are such an invaluable tool in the arsenal of anyone who has ever needed to write an article/essay/book, plan a project, learn something and actually remember it later, develop ideas, etc, etc. They work so well because they mirror how your brain actually works, which is also explained in the book, and encourage whole-brain thinking to maximise the results of your brain power.

Since learning Mind Mapping, I have become much more productive with work and personal projects, cut down on procastination when writing, and seen improvements in ideas generation. And, had I known about Mind Maps when at school, I'm sure I could have remembered everything beyond the exam period too. I will definitely be teaching my kids how to Mind Map once they are old enough!

Note: Once you get started, you may decide you want to do your Mind Maps on your computer, so be sure to check out imindmap, which is endorsed by Tony Buzan.

Stumbling on Happiness (P.S.)
Stumbling on Happiness (P.S.)
by Daniel Gilbert

3.0 out of 5 stars My real feelings about this book, 13 Aug. 2008
This book is mainly about the mistakes we make in predicting how we will feel when we do something in the future and the mistakes we make when trying to remember how we felt in the past - we can only really trust how we feel now.

It is for this reason that my review on this book, which I have read cover-to-cover in two days (during my commute to and from work) and finished just a few minutes ago, might be the most accurate review you will ever find. And the reason you should listen to me is because this is precisely what the author recommends at the end of the book: you should base your predictions on how something will feel by asking someone else how something made them feel as soon as possible after they have felt it (or during).

Without further ado, here is how I really feel:

This book was enjoyable and interesting and the content is worthy of five stars. It made me think a lot, it helped me understand my own behaviour better, and it provided me with scientific research to back up my own theories. I'm not sure the 238 pages I read could have been any better. I feel very glad that I read this book and I recommend it to others.

"Well how come you only gave it three stars then?" I hear you ask. Well, it's because the strongest feeling I have after finishing this book is that it only feels like half a book. As Gilbert confesses in the P.S. section at the end, it focuses almost entirely on problems and presents no solutions apart from the one I have already mentioned (asking other people about how they felt). I also think the title is misleading, as it suggests someone trying out ideas and sometimes getting lucky and being happy, but it is more of an observational piece, aimed mostly at intellectual stimulation.

In light of the above, I highly recommend two other books instead of this one, both of which are also grounded in research and are written in a similar easy-to-read style, but they also provide more solutions and hope! These two books are Happiness by Richard Layard and The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz. If I had the time to write reviews of these, I would give them both five stars.

The Edison Gene: ADHD and the Gift of the Hunter Child
The Edison Gene: ADHD and the Gift of the Hunter Child
by Thom Hartmann

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worthy of attention, 8 Aug. 2008
If you've ever noticed ADHD symptoms (i.e. novelty-seeking, impulsiveness, distractability) in yourself or your child, or you're a teacher or child care worker, you will get great benefit from reading this book.

Firstly, it shatters the illusion that there is something fundamentally wrong with people with ADHD, and shows that although genetics gives the potential for the disorder, it will only develop into a problem if the child's environment is hostile to someone with the Edison gene. (Unfortunately, most schools are, especially in the U.S.)

Secondly, the author, Thom Hartmann (who also wrote the equally brilliant Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight), does an excellent job of reframing what some consider to be a disability as the precious gift that it actually is. I challenge anyone to read this book and come away believing the increasing prevalence of the Edison gene is a bad thing.

Thirdly, the depth of information in this book and how it is arranged - I encourage you to view the Table of Contents via the "Search Inside" link - leads to an enjoyable and interesting journey of discovery that will keep you reading no matter how severe your attention deficit. Hartmann covers ancient history, Climate Change, evolution, genetics, brain development, stress, good parenting practices, medication and much more. I came away feeling like I had got exactly what I wanted from this book plus lots of other interesting things too.

Finally, the book presents some very practical advice for tackling or preventing disorders in children with the Edison gene (which is on the increase) and offers ways to make the most out of what should be considered a gift rather than a disability.

My only reservation about this book is that Hartmann does go on a bit too much about television being harmful, referring to cortisol-inducing flicker on TV screens without explaining it. I still believe there's nothing wrong with TV, per say - it's just the majority of programmes and all the advertising that's the problem. There are actually some excellent kids TV shows that have definitely helped my children develop their words and music and inspired them to be more imaginative (e.g. Little Einsteins, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, In The Night Garden). Also, the fact that a child can be in a non-threatening atmosphere watching TV, away from hearing "No" all the time from a stressed-out parent, should not be overlooked either.

That's only a minor gripe though. I still highly recommend this book!

The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
The Continuum Concept (Arkana)
by Jean Liedloff

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlearn conventional "wisdom" and return to natural instincts, 2 April 2008
This is unlike any other parenting book I have read, as there is very little instructional material. This is a GOOD THING, however, because the aim of the book is to help the reader to unlearn the conventional "wisdom" of our civilised society and return to our instincts.

So, if you're already convinced that the Continuum approach is right for you, then there's no real need to buy this book (although you will likely find it interesting and a good source of information to share with other parents who are intrigued by your "radical" approach to parenting). But, if you aren't yet convinced, then I highly recommend buying this book, so you can see the theory and evidence for yourself.

Even if you aren't a parent, or think it is too late to apply to your own kids, it is still worth reading, as Liedloff makes a convincing argument that most of the unhappiness we experience as adults, and the resulting problems we witness in our civilised society, are rooted in our non-Continuum approach to upbringing. Reading this book could well be the route out of depression for some people, and it could also be the stimulus for social change efforts.

(If you like the theme of this book, and want to learn more about where civilised society has gone wrong, I highly recommend The Fall by Steve Taylor, which proposes the "Ego Explosion" 6000 years ago as the root cause of all the problems humanity faces today, including anti-Continuum patriarchy.)

Legacy: The Best Of Mansun
Legacy: The Best Of Mansun
Offered by Global_Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretend this is all new music!, 21 Sept. 2006
If Mansun had arrived on the scene in the last couple of years, armed with these songs, they would be HUGE by now! Think Kaiser Chiefs, only much catchier songs and twice the amount of genius. Although you won't see too much of the latter here (that came mainly on their album tracks), what you will get if you buy Legacy is a fantastic collection of guitar-driven pop songs that you'll be singing along to in no time.

If you're already a Mansun fan, it's worth buying this to fill holes in your collection. If you're not familiar with them, then this is a must-have if you're trying to build up a collection of solid albums to go alongside the latest offerings from Kaiser Chiefs, We Are Scientists, Futureheads, Keane, The Automatic, The Killers, The Kooks, Muse and Razorlight.

Page: 1 | 2