Profile for Sugar Cane > Reviews

Hidden (cache) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Auteuil
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Tense, thrilling....and then....nothing, 26 July 2006
This review is from: Hidden (cache) [DVD] (DVD)
After seeing such wonderful reviews of this film in the press and on TV, I felt I must see it. I missed it at the cinema (if it was even on in this backwater!), so rented it as soon as it came out. Thinking back on the film, it's intruiged me enough to prompt this review, but am I wearing rose tinted glasses?

I can't deny that I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through the film. It's wonderfully acted, cleverly filmed and devised, and I felt utterly compelled. The problem is the ending. I would say that I don't want to give anything away to those who've yet to watch it, but there's nothing to tell, which is the problem. After watching the end, and feeling disappointed, I watched the interview with the director, who said that life never has a resolution, so why should this? Well, because it's not life....it's a narrative film which fails to ever close its narrative.

If you don't mind never knowing why, who and how, then you'll love Hidden. I liked it, but I'm afraid I fail to see the point of a film which has no point.