Profile for John Howarth-brown > Reviews

Content by John Howarth-brown

John Howarth-brown (Emsworth, Hants United Kingdom)

Common People: The History of An English Family
Common People: The History of An English Family
by Alison Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, 18 Feb. 2015
I received this book for Christmas, a good choice as I too have family from Portsmouth, Wiltshire and Birmingham so it was of particular interest to me. I found it well written, and backed up by some interesting background facts and research; finding the social and economic history surrounding an ancestor helps mightily to "flesh them out a bit" for the reader. Like Yvonne [ further down the page] I thought the photographs were of poor quality whilst a few more [ quality ones] might have been good too. I have now loaned this to someone else and they are enjoying it too!

The Making of Home: The 500-year story of how our houses became homes
The Making of Home: The 500-year story of how our houses became homes
by Judith Flanders

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 10 Dec. 2014
I bought this book because I've read several of Judith Flander's books and found them to be easy to read and informative , so had high expectations after purchasing this one. Whilst some of the premises were interesting and made me consider things I hadn't before as being plausible, as a read it was cumbersome and clumsy. If someone had said to me that it had been translated from a foreign language , I could easily have believed it. It is so clunky that I found myself having to read some passages twice just to check what was being said.Sentences begin with "and", "but" ,"or" and on page 34/35, the last three sentences of the paragraph beginning " On marriage" contain the word "or" ,no less than eleven times. My verdict would be -an interesting concept but poor writing/ editing.

Island Wife: living on the edge of the wild
Island Wife: living on the edge of the wild
by Judy Fairbairns

3.0 out of 5 stars Communication is key!, 28 Oct. 2013
I quite enjoyed this book but increasingly found the main character , Judy, irritating. She seemed totally unable to communicate with her husband in any way and was continually swallowing her opinions so that poor Alex was quite justified in thinking that she agreed with his ideas - they never ever talked things through. As a consequence one child was packed off to boarding school where he was thoroughly miserable and she expressed surprise when one of their helpers refused to do a task set by Alex, and he didn't query her decision. Judy should have tried doing this too!!
As others have said, the book was a little bit "me, me, me" and it became wearing. As a reader you felt like grabbing hold of her and shouting "DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT - take action - talk to him - rebel"

Jekka's Complete Herb Book: In Association with the Royal Horticultural Society
Jekka's Complete Herb Book: In Association with the Royal Horticultural Society
by Jekka McVicar

4.0 out of 5 stars One missing , but vital , thing, 24 Mar. 2012
Lovely book and great for helping me plan my garden BUT no mention is made of how tall each plant grows or how wide the spread is. Consequently I have had to use another book to work out just where in the border the plants should go according to height and how many of them I will need

When The Wind Changed : The Life and Death of Tony Hancock
When The Wind Changed : The Life and Death of Tony Hancock
by Cliff Goodwin

1.0 out of 5 stars Tony Hancock, 10 Jan. 2004
This book was presented in a very readable style - easy and relaxed. I bought the book because I have a keen interest in geneaology and already knew that Tony Hancock was a relative of mine. However I found that many of the details about Tony's early family life and relations were incorrect and clearly not thoroughly researched. As to his professional life; well I can't vouch for the accuracy of that, but knowing that the first part was not all correct, made me wonder about the rest of it. I had attempted to get in contact with the author,and had been assured that in subsequent additions the errors would be corrected, so far that hasn't happened. To anyone using the book as a source for research - beware.