Profile for Ms J > Reviews

Sigma Beauty Small Tapered Blending - E45
Sigma Beauty Small Tapered Blending - E45
Offered by Global Beauty Store UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Oct. 2015
If I could only have one brush this would be it!

Multi Purpose Lap Tray Available In 4 Colours Easy To Use Comfort And light Weight (Purple)
Offered by Prime Furnishing

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Oct. 2015
Sturdy and useful

Powder Blush by NYX Cosmetics PB11 Taupe
Powder Blush by NYX Cosmetics PB11 Taupe
Offered by Beauty Fragrances UK

5.0 out of 5 stars *****, 28 Oct. 2015
Really great product!

Neon Blue Hairspray (Temporary Hair Colour)
Neon Blue Hairspray (Temporary Hair Colour)
Offered by Ed's Party Pieces

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work at all., 28 Oct. 2015
Amazon made me give this at least 1 star. It should have none. Item DOES NOT WORK. I have blond hair. All this did was make my hair wet. I shook it for ages. Plus p and p that's £4 I have spent for absolutely nothing. I'm disgusted that someone could in good conscience sell such a dud product.

More Fool Me
More Fool Me
by Stephen Fry

2.0 out of 5 stars Snore, 16 Nov. 2014
This review is from: More Fool Me (Hardcover)
We get the point Steven, you were busy and you knew a long list of famous people that I've never heard of and you snorted coke. There, one line that took!

If you have already read the first two autobiographies you will find no new information in here. The diary entries really should have been kept private as the only person they will be interesting to is Stephen Fry himself. To anyone else it is just pages full of names and places which are completely abstract to the reader.

All in all I have concluded that Stephen Fry must be having money problems so quickly knocked together this advertisement of his other books. Very lazily decided to pad half of it out with a diary he already had lying around. Very frustrating for the reader who has paid good money and, worse, invested time to read it. Unfortunately, it fails as an advertisement because I actually think that if I had only read this book then it would put me off reading any of his others.

If you've read the other 2, you know you'll read this one too. Just don't be too disappointed. If you haven't read the other 2, read them instead.

How to Build a Girl
How to Build a Girl
by Caitlin Moran

4.0 out of 5 stars I love you but please stop calling female masturbation 'wanking', 16 July 2014
This review is from: How to Build a Girl (Hardcover)
Caitlin moran, I love you but please stop calling female masturbation 'wanking'. Anything else I'm cool with. I appreciate what you're trying to do - make female masturbation as easy to talk about as male masturbation. But wanking is a very specific thing that cannot be done to a woman. And it feels almost like what someone would call it who was ashamed of what they were doing.

Forbidden (Definitions)
Forbidden (Definitions)
by Tabitha Suzuma

1.0 out of 5 stars I mean it would be like having a relationship with your dad, 4 July 2014
I have a question for all those who have given this 4/5 starts. Do any of you have an older brother? Just because I think reading this would be a heck of a lot less believable for anyone who actually does. I can't believe anyone who actually has an older brother wouldn't see incest as completely troubling issue, not fantasy 'soul mates' but victims of a challenging childhood. I mean it would be like having a relationship with your dad. It just would never ever happen. If someone who has read this has an older brother and thinks this is a believable book and that they are soul mates and you wanted them to get together, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Brain On Fire: My Month of Madness
Brain On Fire: My Month of Madness
by Susannah Cahalan

5.0 out of 5 stars Possible spoiler, but I think you should know this before you buy..., 18 Feb. 2014
Very interesting book. If you liked 'The man who mistook his wife for a hat' you will like this too.

I did buy this book thinking that it was about mental illness. The author had a disease which affected her brain causing it to swell which resulted in abnormal behaviour so I would say that this book is actually more about neurology than psychology. I'm not really sure about the official terms, but it was about a physical problem with her brain and how that affected her behaviour rather than problems with her 'mind' and how they affected her thoughts or her perceptions of the world from the inside. In fact, the author remembers nothing of the time she was ill so this book really just recounts her behaviour from an outside perspective via other sources.

I think this distinction is left ambiguous in the description of the book as to maintain suspense through the reader not knowing what is wrong. However, I think it is important to point it out as I think it defines the whole tone and context of the book. It is still a very good read though which I would certainly recommend! If you are looking for more of an insiders perspective of the psychology of mental illness I would read something like The Bell Jar instead.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2014 11:07 AM BST

A Study in Scarlet: A Sherlock Holmes Adventure (Collins Classics)
A Study in Scarlet: A Sherlock Holmes Adventure (Collins Classics)
by Arthur Conan Doyle

3.0 out of 5 stars The first..., 16 Feb. 2014
...Sherlock Holmes book and after watching the TV series I thought I would give the books a go. I enjoyed the book until Part 2 where just at the point of climax it massively changes in tone and narration. I feel that when I pick up a book to read it takes a while to get in to the rhythm of it so when halfway through it completely changes rhythm right at the point of climax I felt a bit betrayed. It felt like they had glued the middle of a different book in by mistake.

Suddenly we are no longer in Watson's recollections but the middle of a desert with some Mormons for a good five chapters... I get the point, he is avenging a woman, but I'm sure it could have been told in a paragraph or two. This did completely lose my interest and any suspense that had built up. I found myself skimming through these chapters.

However, it is only a short book, so I did eventually make it out of the desert and into the concluding chapters. But I think if the book had been longer that I probably would have stopped at that point as it required effort and concentration to maintain interest.

It was interesting to read about Sherlock Holmes as he was originally created has been portrayed in so many other forms and I am glad I have read the book. However, I probably won't read any more Sherlock books based on this whole desert thing, which is a shame because the rest of the book was enjoyable. I just wouldn't trust another book not to completely deviate half way through after I have put effort into reading the first half.

Sherlock: A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock (BBC Books))
Sherlock: A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock (BBC Books))
by Arthur Conan Doyle