Profile for Gothicfun > Reviews

Content by Gothicfun

Gothicfun (london, - United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
The Victorians
The Victorians

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, well written, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Victorians (Kindle Edition)
Pretty good, well written, lots of information.HOpefully Paxo will write some more books about aspects of Victorian life this time.

Jabberwocky and Other Nonsense: Collected Poems (Penguin Classics)
Jabberwocky and Other Nonsense: Collected Poems (Penguin Classics)

2.0 out of 5 stars I thought there would be some background and analysis but ..., 16 Feb. 2015
I thought there would be some background and analysis but unfortunately this is really just a collection of his collected poems. Well, I suppose that's what it says it is, but I had somehow expected something a bit more illuminating.

Pom Poko [DVD]
Pom Poko [DVD]
Dvd ~ Isao Takahata

5.0 out of 5 stars I usually like to watch manga with the original Japanese and subtitles ..., 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Pom Poko [DVD] (DVD)
A tale of raccoon dogs and how they try to chase the humans away from their traditional countryside. I usually like to watch manga with the original Japanese and subtitles but the translation is so weird that the only way you can really watch this I think is by having them all talking in cute American accents. At least it makes a bit of sense that way! Based on Japanese folklore it has one of the best surrealist animation sequences I have ever seen, and it's beautifully animated as you would expect with some very exciting sequences.

Did Lewis Carrol Visit Llandudno?: An Investigation
Did Lewis Carrol Visit Llandudno?: An Investigation
by Michael Senior

5.0 out of 5 stars goes into detail in the way I like. It might seem like rather an arcane subject ..., 16 Feb. 2015
Very interesting book, goes into detail in the way I like. It might seem like rather an arcane subject but as I am so interested in lewis Carroll I found it an unexpected detour into an aspect of his life which I had not really considered before. Very thorough.

The Story of the Mikado told by Sir W S Gilbert illustrated by Alice Woodward
The Story of the Mikado told by Sir W S Gilbert illustrated by Alice Woodward
by W S Gilbert

4.0 out of 5 stars The copy I got was in nice condition., 4 Oct. 2014
A really lovely copy. But this just told the story of the Mikado in words. I thought it would have some background to the writing of the book but it appears to be something for fans of the production. Still, the copy I got was in really nice condition.

Elbows Off The Table
Elbows Off The Table

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual and very good., 3 Dec. 2013
This is the best memoir I have met of a difficult life growing up in care. Mainly because it is full of humour and life. By no means does it downplay the bad things that happened, the abuse, the disappointments, the things no kids should have to put up with. But all through there is a basic optimism and toughness and resilience, and you are keeping your fingers crossed for the author all the time, admiring him as well as being sorry for what is happening to him. He might get down and who can blame him, but you can't keep him down - or at least that is the message I get.

I think this book should be required reading for all social workers and all people who deal with children in care. It is a reminder that every child has feelings, but also every child has ways of coping and dealing with life. It is really well written but it hasn't had the dead hand of editors and accountants on it so it hasn't been channelled all in one direction (to fit on the Misery Memoir shelf) and therefore it is ultimately life enhancing to read it.

The only thing that threw me is that it ends more or less in the middle, with you realising he's going to have a lot more to deal with before we get to the stage when he was writing a book. I suppose he wanted to get it out quickly or something but my opinion is he could write the rest of it and then put them together in one book. Or rather have it in THREE books, part 1, part 2 and both parts so people can choose which one to buy.

I look forward to part 2 Elbows Off The Table

Tales of Old Surrey (County Tales)
Tales of Old Surrey (County Tales)
by Matthew Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting snippets, not all of them "tales", 4 Nov. 2013
This book was written by the curator of Guildford museum, and centres on snippets of interesting history and artefacts of the area. There are indeed some stories, other chapters cast light upon aspects of old Surrey life. A great glimpse into the past, before this beautiful area was so heavily colonised by the rich - and an interesting read for anyone who likes exploring the county of Surrey.

When You Reach Me
When You Reach Me

5.0 out of 5 stars An authentic and personal voice, ingenious and readable book, 4 Nov. 2013
This review is from: When You Reach Me (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. The author sees the world in her own way - I didn't feel I was reading some kind of a clone book. It appears quirky and inconsequential at first, but gradually everything ties up in the most ingenious way. I immediately set about finding more books by this author.

Eugenie's Story (Swallowcliffe Hall Book 4)
Eugenie's Story (Swallowcliffe Hall Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite of a good series, 4 Nov. 2013
This is a very nice series, and I've enjoyed the other books, but this was my favourite. I particularly liked the close eye for period detail - convincing descriptions of dress, food and attitudes of the period gave the book a feeling of real authenticity. Although Eugenie was a silly little girl at the start of the book, her growing maturity was convincingly rendered and by the end of the book I was hoping that I would get the chance to read more about her.

Renting and Letting (Which Essential Guides)
Renting and Letting (Which Essential Guides)
by Kate Faulkner

3.0 out of 5 stars Muddled landlord and tenants information, I need more than this, 7 Aug. 2013
Many aspects of this book are very useful and there are many useful facts as you would expect from WHICH magazine. The reason I only gave it 3 stars, is that it is for tenants as well as landlords. It means I can't flip though it and find things that are relevant to me, I have to keep weeding out what is aimed at tenants, it's all mixed up.

Of course it is useful for landlord to see things from a tenant's point of view, but mostly from the point of view of warning them about tricks that a few tenants can get up to. While most tenants are hardworking people who want to live a quiet life, some are a problem and try to exploit the system. The book needed a section on tenants on their rights, but seen from a landlord's point of view to guard against what can go wrong. The landlord is trying to run a business. If they feel they want to research what tenants want, they should buy a book on it separately, not have to wade through it all whether they want to or not.

So you get the feeling it's all very academic, someone wrote it who has not really done buy to let themselves, they just know all the rules and lay them out for you.

I could have done with a proper check list of EVERYTHING you need to do, at the various stages of purchasing and managing, as a landlord. The information is probably there, but it is spread around and mixed up with the tenant stuff.

I would not say this book is not worth buying, but I did not feel it gave me everything I needed by a long chalk. I have therefore been looking for other books that tell you what the landlord needs to know.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14