Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now
Profile for Oirishsteve > Reviews

Content by Oirishsteve

Oirishsteve (Somerset)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Underworld: Blood Wars [Blu-ray] [2017]
Underworld: Blood Wars [Blu-ray] [2017]
Dvd ~ Kate Beckinsale

1.0 out of 5 stars Snore fest spectaculaaaar, 16 Feb. 2017
I wanted to love this...I watched it with my daughter, having also watched the other Underworlds with her. I turned to her after 30 minutes and asked her if I was being a bit hard on the film saying I was bored listless...she agreed which surprised me. We did watch it till the end but it didn't get any better..yawn..glad it was shorter than expected...or maybe that was it's downfall....where's the last 30 spectacular thirty minutes? There wasn't one? Oh!?!

Hacksaw Ridge 4K UHD [Blu-ray] [2017]
Hacksaw Ridge 4K UHD [Blu-ray] [2017]

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodness knows how this ever got made...but glad it finally did., 16 Feb. 2017
After watching the film I did a bit of research to see just how close to the truth this film was. It's not only ALL true, which at first is unbelievable, but because they thought audiences might not believe it, they, that is Mel and co actually....'played the events down'!! Doss himself is so humble and self effacing that he felt it wouldn't be true to his beliefs and religion to have his story told and to be the centre of attention so he prevented anyone from filming his life story until not long ago having turned 80 odd years and been persuaded by his mates that his story should live on after he's gone. Mel Gibson took some persuading to do the film and was asked and refused several times before he agreed. So goodness knows how this film ever came to be made except to say that it should have been made years ago. One of the scenes which was played down...spoiler here...when Doss was was being carried out on a stretcher after having saved umpteen lives, in the film he's simply hauled out. But apparently in real life he rolls off the stretcher to make way for another comrade, even though he has a bullet in him, and then is left sitting amidst the fighting for several hours as no one comes back to get him!!!

Nocturnal Animals (Blu-ray + Digital Download) [2016]
Nocturnal Animals (Blu-ray + Digital Download) [2016]
Dvd ~ Amy Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Revenge is a dish best served cold...better than the book!!, 16 Feb. 2017
I've written a review for the book which is like a tale of two halves, the first part is good, second part not so. I was particularly disappointed with the denouement in the book. I don't care to have everything explained to me in a book, but in this particular story towards the end I feel we need to know what the protagonists are feeling and for us to realise the depth of those feelings. There is room for the author to divulge what is going on inside a person's head and hence their feelings, this for me is where I felt the author let me down. OK enough about the book. I also won't write a long review and retell the story as so many here have already done that. I will say though that having watched the film I can highly recommend it. It has a more satisfying ending compared to the book. Tom Ford has altered slightly parts of the story and there is more emphasis placed on certain events so that the outcomes have so much more impact. Tom Ford doesn't let me down like I feel the author did, there is more to the outcome through voice-over and action and the ending is so much more satisfying for it. The ending in the book for me was.....'She writes a letter...THE END!' Hmmm!

Seagate Expansion 5 TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC and Xbox One - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good so far, 30 Jan. 2017
So far so reliable... I hope that doesn't put the hex on it!!! I've got to get another to back it up. More reliable than Western Digital's latest efforts.

Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 Case Stylish Heavy Duty Shock Proof Armour Dual Protection Case Cover with Built-in Kickstand / Galaxy A5 2016 Case
Offered by CASE COLLECTION LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Jan. 2017
Excellent and such a good price

The Invaders: The Believers Box [DVD]
The Invaders: The Believers Box [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roy Thinnes

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, 30 Jan. 2017
I had a bootleg copy of this box set but it is now so cheap and easily available I had to get the real thing...it's so watchable that I've seen this three times...some box sets I've never even started.

Mountain Warehouse Adrenaline Mens Iso-Viz Cycling Running Reflective Jacket Yellow Medium
Offered by Mountain Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jan. 2017
Fantastic and better than bike jackets twice as dear, I like it so much I'm going to buy another!!!

Mococase For Samsung Galaxy A5,Colourful Painted Ultra Slim Full-Body Protective Premium PU Leather Flip Stand Stander Protector Case Cover for For Samsung Galaxy A5 2015 (Ballons)
Offered by COOSA®

1.0 out of 5 stars It didn't fit as it was for the first version ..., 30 Jan. 2017
It didn't fit as it was for the first version NOT the 2016 model, the 2016 model is a few millimetres longer, however in the company's favour the company refunded me no problem.

Nocturnal Animals: Film tie-in originally published as Tony and Susan
Nocturnal Animals: Film tie-in originally published as Tony and Susan
by Austin Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars What a bloody let down, and it was going so well!, 19 Nov. 2016
My English teacher used to say to my class, there is no need to swear when there are many words in the dictionary to express yourself with. I will say to him, well Austin Wright made me so angry that I took a leaf out of his book! (No pun intended) I used one word where several words could have been used. Or to be more to the point I expressed my feelings strongly (not like Edward in the book) and very quickly, unfortunately for us all I think... just like the ending in the book! For once I agree with the naysayers and that isn't very often. Other naysayers are correct...in my opinion. 1) The first half of the book is great, it has momentum and keeps the reader anticipating what is coming at a fast and furious rate. Then comes the second half of the book 2) Slow, turgid, running out of pace, ideas, pretensions to literary grandeur. 3) The denouement where you hope the two stories within a story will come together in a satisfying climax goes...phffffffffffffffffff...hic...cough cough splutter!!! 4) Here's a spoiler so forgive me but I'm going to anyway....'THEY DON'T MEET AGAIN'. Whaaatttt!?!??! The writer must have croaked also or been on the point of and then thought 'Oh I can't be bothered I know I'll get Susan Morrow to write a letter. THE END! 5) If this is a tale of revenge as in 'Dish served cold' then why couldn't they at least meet and Edward stick it to her and tell Susan how he felt now and particularly then! Oh yeah the book does that...NO IT DOESN'T!! No I don't need to be spoon fed and yes I have enjoyed other books where the ending is up to the reader to decide for themselves the outcome but after that build up (99.9% of the book) it would have made a better ending. (I have a sneaky suspicion from the trailers that they do actually meet!! Yes!!!). Roll on the film...and I don't say that very often......Oooeeerr I have just read one of the film reviews... they don't meet again...BUT....it's made obvious Susan wants to be with Edward and has gone to a lot of trouble to meet Edward again by dressing to kill and he doesn't turn up, and just to rub salt in the wounds her present husband is playing hide the sausage. Basically he's blown her out which is a bit better than the rather weak letter ending in the book!

The Complete David Bowie
The Complete David Bowie
by Nicholas Pegg

5.0 out of 5 stars Something to remember him by...Thanks Nicholas, 12 Feb. 2016
What can I say that no one has already said? I bought this book a couple of years ago, I'm so glad I did. I've never been a real fan of Bowie although like most people he's been the soundtrack to my life. Always there in the background, loved him loathed him can't get away from him. I love the band Suede, he's there in the music...damn! And now he's gone...and there's a big hole...don't ask me why, possibly just that he reminds us we're all immortal. Perhaps because I realise I'll never fulfill my potential in life the way he has. Whatever, at least I'll continue to listen to his records (yes I even bought a few) and read this fantastic book. Brilliant!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4