Profile for Photo enthusiast > Reviews

Content by Photo enthusiast

Photo enthusiast "Camerabuff" (Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Panasonic ER-GN30 Nose, Ear and Facial Hair Trimmer (Wet/Dry with Vortex Cleaning System) - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic nose, ear and facial hair clipper. Very poor product., 28 July 2016
Same experience as many of the other one-star reviews. Only works if I take the battery cover off and fiddle the battery into position. I have tried bending the contacts but it won't hold the battery in properly. Making the handle on a curve to surround a straight battery is a serious design flaw, I think when you twist the cover back on it automatically dislodges the battery. The cutter is not even very effective when I do get the thing to work - there's no power in its cut and you have to keep attacking the same hair, quicker to pull the hairs out individually with tweezers. I normally choose Panasonic for electrical goods and this is my first disappointment with the company's products. Absolute rubbish - read the other one-star reviews and then buy another make. I see there are a lot of five-star reviews which are clearly sincere, my guess is that they changed the design or sold a duff batch.

BestOfferBuy HB-25 Lens Hood For Nikon AF 24-85mm/AF-S 24-120mm VR G HB25
BestOfferBuy HB-25 Lens Hood For Nikon AF 24-85mm/AF-S 24-120mm VR G HB25

3.0 out of 5 stars Nikon lens hood cheap alternative, 26 May 2016
Nikon charge outrageous prices for items like this. The BestOfferBuy alternative is a very creditable effort. Unsurprisingly it is not as good as the Nikon, it is after all less than a TENTH of the price. Buyers will need to buy some matte black paint to reduce the sheen on the inside surfaces. This lens hood does the job, it stays firmly on the lens, and is a practical accessory. If you use your built-in flash a lot you should probably be going for the real Nikon hood, which snaps on and off more quickly and easily, but at this price whatever reservations you might have, try the BestOfferBuy version, it will probably do you o.k. and if it doesn't you haven't lost very much.

Zoom Rubber Ring Grip Rubber Repair Part Camera Replacement for Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85MM F/3.5-5.6G ED VR (5.3X) Lens

3.0 out of 5 stars Replacement rubber grip for lens zoom control, 12 April 2016
Product should do the job o.k. but I was surprised it was cut by hand and not very straight! Profit margin must be huge on these and I think at the price the makers could invest in a guillotine.

Sheerness Naval Dockyard & Garrison
Sheerness Naval Dockyard & Garrison
by John Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheerness Naval Dockyard in pictures., 16 Mar. 2015
This is a superb book, the photographs are so well chosen and the captions invariably interesting and informative. Hughes has a gift for knowing what parts of a photograph will draw the reader's attention and curiosity and explaining what you are looking at. Quality of reproduction is very high, something not often found in books of photographic local history of this kind. My only criticism is that I would have liked to have seen some maps and plans of the dockyard's development over the years, although there are a couple of revealing aerial views. I ordered this book sight unseen because I was working on family history and knew that ancestors had worked and been stationed there. I only received my copy today and I have immediately ordered another of John Hughes's, I am so impressed with this one.

The Cultural Monuments of Tibet
The Cultural Monuments of Tibet
by Michael Henss

5.0 out of 5 stars Cultural monuments of Tibet, 19 Dec. 2014
I have never seen a more beautiful example of book production. Full of superb photographs reproduced to perfection, detailed maps and plans, and early photographs of the sites. I'm sure the text is of equally high quality, I'm just not qualified to comment. If the set seems expensive, when you see it you will understand why and it is actually excellent value for money - the books are very substantial and absolutely no concessions have been made in production values, the publishers clearly set out to do full justice to Michael Henss's exemplary work on his subject and they have succeeded magnificently. I would give these books ten stars if I could.

Historical Atlas of the British Isles, The
Historical Atlas of the British Isles, The

1.0 out of 5 stars Content of the original must be very good as the text is extremely well written and I ..., 3 Nov. 2014
Just to add another very negative review, the maps and diagrams are unusable. I can't imagine what the publishers thought they were doing releasing the book in this form. Content of the original must be very good as the text is extremely well written and I presume the maps were of equivalent standard in the paper edition. Don't waste even the few pennies this costs or you might encourage the publishers to perpetrate further insults upon us.

Magnetic Dry Wipe Board, 45 x 60 cm
Magnetic Dry Wipe Board, 45 x 60 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Economical magnetic notice board - good if quality control is improved, 10 Mar. 2014
These magnetic notice boards are very economical, and in design just as good as flashier, costlier alternatives.
Mine was faulty on delivery and I was annoyed that the damage must have happened in the factory and got past quality control. Packing was fine, no bumps on the box, and the broken pieces were loose in the assembly and within the shrink-wrapping. Whoever assembled it was too lazy to insert a replacement part, or put it on the 'passed' pile instead of the rejects.
Amazon replaced immediately, so this review is of the new board which I am pleased with. There is a sensible range of sizes, quality is good and price very competitive so I think four stars is fair.

Engraved Slate House Number Plaque - 1 to 99. Same Day Dispatch!
Engraved Slate House Number Plaque - 1 to 99. Same Day Dispatch!
Offered by Atlantic Hardware Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality house number plaque, 28 Feb. 2014
Astonishing - I ordered the item one afternoon, expecting to put it up the following week. Instead, I received it NEXT DAY, and put it up immediately. The plaque is exactly as described, fine quality, well packed and with clear instructions. (Yes, you might need them even for putting a couple of screws in, for example hand-tightening and not putting too much pressure on in order to avoid cracking the slate.) I particularly wanted traditional numbers in deep v-shaped section and the plaque supplied meets my requirement exactly. The white on dark grey stands out at night, who wants a ghastly illuminated sign, this is much nicer. Good show Atlantic Hardware.

Burma Boy
Burma Boy
by Biyi Bandele

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb novel of a boy at war., 19 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Burma Boy (Paperback)
This book is a gem, beautifully written in every respect - characterisation is so effective that you feel you know Ali Banana and his comrades from the first few pages, and immediately care what happens to them. When Orde Wingate enters the story Bandele captures his character in a few deft strokes, like an impressionist painter. Wingate and his relationship with his soldiers live momentarily in your imagination. (This is not the place to argue about the effectiveness of his ideas and generalship.) Sergeant Damisa's speech in his basha is positively Shakespearian. It has been argued elsewhere that the campaign was a waste of life and resources, and that those men were fighting and dying solely for British 'honour'. That's not correct; it was very important that the Japanese should be clearly defeated, and that for a brief period British rule should be re-established in order to hand these nations over to their own rulers in the spirit of the Atlantic Charter. The dishonour would have been to have sat back, let the Americans win the Pacific War to the east, and let western Indo-China descend into chaos. The West Africans, Indians, Gurkhas, Britons and others in the Burma campaign WERE fighting for something worthwhile, even though it was for an orderly dismantling of the Empire, and peoples white, brown or white, Muslim, Christian or Buddhist, should respect and honour the memory of soldiers like Ali Banana. Many or most would have had little idea about what they were fighting for, but despite the awful developments in Indo-China that followed World War Two their efforts did eventually lead to a better world than it would have been had the Axis powers won. Back in West Africa they were treated disgracefully, a shameful episode in the history of the Empire. I wished this book was longer, and I hope that Bandele might return to a subject where he must have a great deal more to say - and what a character he has created. His Dad would be very proud.

Mandalay
Mandalay

2.0 out of 5 stars Another poor electronic transfer, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Mandalay (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book following a visit to Burma, hungry for anything I could get to read on that beautiful country. Unfortunately I went for the Kindle edition, which is so littered with spelling errors and inconsistencies in the difficult Burmese names that it detracts from the reading experience. I'm not talking about the typos that we have grown to expect in this day and age but misspellings such as `curtious' for `courteous', `shear' instead of `sheer' etc. Clearly the former is not an OCR error as the word does not exist. Looking at Leonard's illustrious career, my guess is that a paper copy or manuscript was given to someone to copy-type whose native tongue is not English. The `howlers' that one is taught from an early age to avoid break the spell of narrative, for example when Queen Supalayet says `I will bare his children'. I probably didn't give the novel a fair chance as I was already irritated by a number of completely unreadable Kindle items bought from Amazon which were clearly OCRd with no proof-checking whatever. The rush to get anything into electronic format is leading to a great deal of sub-standard material on the market. Perhaps a new verb can be coined from the noun `Kindle' - `Kindling' a book, indicating the sloppy transfer of text from paper to electronic form.
I might have given a higher score if I had read the book in hard copy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4