Profile for Richard > Reviews

Content by Richard

Richard

Going Around The Bend: Volume 3 (Bootneck Threesome)
Going Around The Bend: Volume 3 (Bootneck Threesome)
by Mark Time

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite of the trilogy., 16 May 2016
After reading his first two books this was the one I was most looking forward to, as I’m more of a travel buff than a military fan.

From the hilarious yet poignant foreword through to the final page, Time again made me laugh out loud, yet more apparent in the tale was the overriding theme of camaraderie, something rarely covered in travel memoirs, especially when he talks candidly of things not always going to plan, giving a welcome truth to the genre.

His easy, fast paced style is like listening to a mate in the pub and suits the travel genre completely as he often sends us off in the wrong direction with side stories of past trips and experiences, some of which are surreal, some leaving your mouth agape until the story concludes.

As someone who has lived in and travelled widely throughout the US it brought back some wonderful memories and he captured the scenery perfectly, whisking me away in his California Flyer. I’ve already checked out a couple of transatlantic flight prices and for me that is the best compliment I can give.

I certainly hope he continues writing, as this series has been a breath of fresh air.

Going Commando (Bootneck Threesome)
Going Commando (Bootneck Threesome)
by Mark Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, hilarious and cleverly written., 17 Mar. 2014
Military reads not being one of my usual choices, I was instantly drawn in by the hilariously entertaining way it was written. Yes its an insight in to what it takes to achieve Royal Marines status, but its much more than that. Told from a young, naive and wide eyed 16 year olds point of view. The many funny anecdotes written with a down to earth Yorkshire humour had me laughing out loud. Often poignant, the authors honesty shines through, an interesting and inspiring read. Bring on Volume Two!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 8:02 AM BST