Profile for hok > Reviews

hok

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Winter
Winter

4.0 out of 5 stars However I love it that Voces8 are introducing something different and supporting ..., 14 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Winter (Audio CD)
I should start by saying I am a fully paid up member of the Voces8-are-the-best-a-cappella-group er, group. I've seen them live (better than The 16 I reckon), got the albums, mourned when a beloved member goes off somewhere else etc. Yet... 4 stars. Maybe I'm too stuck in my ways/expectations, but the Plainscape section of this album gets me reaching for the Fast Forward button. However I love it that Voces8 are introducing something different and supporting contemporary composers, even if it isn't to my personal taste and, lets face it, pressing fast forward isn't the hassle it used to be. That aside, there's some beautiful beautiful music here. With the Hilliard Ensemble now gently humming on their porches, Voces8 lead the way for me.

10 Essentials of Quincy Jones (Mono Version)
10 Essentials of Quincy Jones (Mono Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Quincy, 7 Jun. 2016
For this price, what can go wrong. Classic Big Band Quincy Jones - yes it's mono, but you won't care!

BISSELL Cleanview Proheat Carpet Cleaner
BISSELL Cleanview Proheat Carpet Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Carpets you can, er, lick, 28 Jan. 2016
The old New House Conundrum - do you hire a big box that looks like it's from the 1970s from a local supermarket, get a chap in with no idea how well they'll do, or go ahead and buy your own. We were lucky, we had the house empty for a few days so went for this (at a great price, which made the decision easy comparing it to the cost of the other two options).

It's true, you will pull a face and go eeuurgh when you empty the first batch of water from your first clean, but it's extremely satisfying. It cleans very well indeed, but a few things I would suggest when using -

1 - vacuum clean extensively before using this. It will mean less fluff to pick up as you go along
2 - get into a zen state of mind, I found the best way to use this was to take my time and do it slowly. I ended up going back over the washed patch quite a few times to suck up the excess moisture
3 - do it on a day you can have the windows wide open. It does do a good job of sucking up the washing liquid, but inevitably there is quite a bit of dampness in the carpet and it needs a really good air to dry properly. Or set up a space heater

Overall really pleased with this.

TP-LINK TL-WPA4230PKIT AV500 Powerline 300 M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with AC Pass Through, Multiple Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars but this set-up as easily as the sparse instructions suggested it would, 28 Jan. 2016
I've had trouble before setting up powerline extenders, but this set-up as easily as the sparse instructions suggested it would, which was an incredibly pleasant surprise. We have our freesat box plugged into it for catch-up TV and it works a treat, probably about 15m as the indoor crow flies from the main router.

Vax U90-MA-Re Air Reach Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Purple
Vax U90-MA-Re Air Reach Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars It vacuums and cleans, 28 Jan. 2016
Cracking vacuum cleaner, I borrowed my Mums and was sufficiently impressed to buy myself one. Blimey it sucks up stuff, we moved to a new house and after going round with this I wonder if the previous owners vacuumed at all. My only concern is its slowly sucking up the carpet, fibre by fibre, judging by what quickly collects in the dust chamber. Easy to use and empty too, with useful attachments.

Trust Raina 2.1 Subwoofer Speaker Set (20 Watt) - Black
Trust Raina 2.1 Subwoofer Speaker Set (20 Watt) - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars For the price it's good, but it lacks any sort of real punch ..., 28 Jan. 2016
Yep, it's ok. For the price it's good, but it lacks any sort of real punch and can lose it on high loud notes a bit.

Ultimate Star Wars (Dk Ultimate)
Ultimate Star Wars (Dk Ultimate)
by DK

4.0 out of 5 stars Broad and in depth, 28 Jan. 2016
Bought as a present for my son. Main thing to note is it seems (to me, of the original trilogy vintage) to be overly weighted to the current crop of CG animated series. That said, it's exhaustive, and will keep an inquisitive star wars loving mind (with a penchant for reading) happy for hours and hours...

3D Victorian House Advent Calendar
3D Victorian House Advent Calendar

3.0 out of 5 stars as it looks great folded and standing, 28 Jan. 2016
It promises much, as it looks great folded and standing, but the pictures are a bit of a disappointment. Shame as I really wanted to like this.

Wolf Hall (Original Television Soundtrack)
Wolf Hall (Original Television Soundtrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully pared down and expressive music, 28 Jan. 2016
Beautifully pared down and expressive music, you can feel the brooding quality of the TV series unfold in front of you. A very welcome antidote to the bombastic nature of a lot of TV soundtracks these days.

Airfix 1:72 Scale D-Day The Sea Assault Gift Set
Airfix 1:72 Scale D-Day The Sea Assault Gift Set
Offered by CHELTENHAM MODEL CENTRE

4.0 out of 5 stars Great detail, he's 9 and a very capable craftsperson ..., 6 Jan. 2016
Bought for my son as a christmas project for us to do together, after having an unplanned trip to D Day beaches after missing ferry back home... Great detail, he's 9 and a very capable craftsperson but needs help gluing the fiddly bits (and there are fiddly bits), probably not the right level for him alone but nice joint project. One thing to note, and why it's only 4 stars, the paint supplied doesn't do an overly good job of adhereing to the plastic parts, especially the soldiers. Perhaps using purchased pots of paint rather than those supplied, but that then makes it rather expensive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6