Profile for brandywine > Reviews

Wool (Wool Trilogy)
Wool (Wool Trilogy)
by Hugh Howey

1.0 out of 5 stars hugely disappointing, 19 July 2016
This review is from: Wool (Wool Trilogy) (Paperback)
I love sci-fi and fantasy, when it's well-written. Given the huge number of 5- and 4-star reviews for this book, I had high hopes. These hopes were well and truly dashed within the first couple of chapters. I persevered, assuming there must be some amazing twists to have garnered such good ratings, but at the halfway point I gave up. The only times I give up on a book are when the writing is so poor that the irritation of continuing overwhelms my curiosity about what actually happens. Full of redundancies, cliches, and hyperbole, not to mention 2-dimensional characters and plenty of overwriting, this book does not deserve the plaudits is has somehow achieved. Perhaps it is all about 'who you know', not 'how you write' in the world of bestsellers?

My Holiday in North Korea: The Funniest/Worst Place on Earth
My Holiday in North Korea: The Funniest/Worst Place on Earth

4.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to North Korea, 26 Jun. 2016
I can understand why some readers found the author too self-congratulatory, and simplistic in her impressions, from a mere 10 days in North Korea. However, this remains a very humorous read and by the end of her account, her sympathy and compassion for the people of this beleaguered country also seeps through. I found it a brilliant introduction to the many excellent books on life in North Korea by those who have defected. It was easy to read, and fired in me a curiosity and compassion for these people - I have since read the excellent 'In Order to Live' and am now ordering several more about personal experiences of North Koreans. What amazes me most is that they are all topical - this is happening NOW, not 50 years ago. Almost unbelievable.

Rapid Eyewear WOMENS POLARISED OVERGLASSES Fashionable TORTOISESHELL UV400 Sunglasses That Fit Over Glasses
Offered by Rapid Eyewear Sunglasses for Sport

2.0 out of 5 stars I could easily see the frames of my own glasses through the ..., 27 Mar. 2016
Sadly although they fit over my glasses well and weren't too tight on my (quite large) head, they still dwarfed my face and more importantly, I could easily see the frames of my own glasses through the lenses, which is NOT a good look. However, no problems returning the product for refund so far.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2016 9:24 AM BST

HOMEFRONT FULLY FITTED WASHABLE KING SIZE MATTRESS COVER DUAL CONTROL
HOMEFRONT FULLY FITTED WASHABLE KING SIZE MATTRESS COVER DUAL CONTROL

4.0 out of 5 stars more superior model where the control switch started playing up after ..., 24 Jan. 2016
I had to buy this after the last one stopped functioning; same brand, more superior model where the control switch started playing up after 3 years. Probably how long they make these things to last, which is supremely annoying. So this time I bought the less superior model and I've only used it once, and it seems fine. But I will miss not being able to programme it to stay on for certain periods of time as I could do with the 'top model'. I figured that a simpler control switch might last a lot longer, less to go wrong with it. That remains to be seen.

Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching: A Book about the Way and the Power of the Way
Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching: A Book about the Way and the Power of the Way

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Jan. 2016
Excellent translation. I love this.

My Healing Journey: From Healing to Horses to Wholeness: A Story of Self Discovery
by Charlie Holles

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this book, 17 Aug. 2014
Really enjoyed this book. Very much 'cross genre': part memoir, alternative therapies, healing, animals, travelogue...It helped that I found a lot to identify with in my own life journey, but even so, I think this tale would appeal to many different groups of people, regardless of whether they can identify or not. I don't have a strong connection with horses so was glad this aspect was not a large part of the book, but I must say, by the end of it, I wished I did have a stronger connection with them.

Dog Songs: Thirty-Five Dog Songs and One Essay
Dog Songs: Thirty-Five Dog Songs and One Essay
by Mary Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, 7 Nov. 2013
The first few poems I wasn't sure about - they seemed a little simplistic. But as a whole the poems worked very well and some were decidedly moving. Lovely production and quality.

OPI Nail Polish, Tickle My France-y 15 ml
OPI Nail Polish, Tickle My France-y 15 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars like a lot, 20 Oct. 2013
...although it is slightly more mauve than I would have chosen, had I bought from a shop instead of over the internet where it's almost impossible to tell apart nuances of colour. A great neutral and stays on forever.

Pa'llegar A Tu Lado
Pa'llegar A Tu Lado

5.0 out of 5 stars quirky and moving, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Pa'llegar A Tu Lado (MP3 Download)
An underrated, excellent film. Dark humour, never gory or in-your-face, a clever and slightly disturbing plot, and good acting from everyone. Quirky and also quite a lot of pathos. Of course the best line is about the chick pea!

OPI Start To Finish Formaldehyde-Free Formula 15 ml
OPI Start To Finish Formaldehyde-Free Formula 15 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as expected, 20 Oct. 2013
I love OPI polishes; discovered them recently. I ordered this one because liked the idea of using same base as top coat; seemed more economical somehow. Didn't notice the 'strengthens nails' bit which is a shame since my nails are quite strong so I should have gone with the standard one. However, what I have noticed is that this does tend to chip and not last anything near as long as the coloured opi polishes I have. Considering how much it cost, that is pretty disappointing. Maybe I'll have to use 3 coats of it, (1 base and 2 tops) which defeats the object as far as I'm concerned!

Page: 1 | 2