Profile for Readzalot > Reviews

Content by Readzalot

Readzalot

Dragon Bound: Number 1 in series (Elder Races)
Dragon Bound: Number 1 in series (Elder Races)

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Fun Read!, 28 April 2014
I absolutely loved this book! It was a fun read and kept me thoroughly entertained from beginning to end. I'll leave it at that, 'cause i'm about to read the next book in this series:)

Clean Sweep
Clean Sweep

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh & Interesting, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Clean Sweep (Kindle Edition)
I've enjoyed everything Ilona Andrews (Ilona & Gordon Andrews) has published inluding this fresh and interesting Urban Fantasy novella. This book is another example of why this writing team has made Bestselling Author lists including the New York Times. Plus there is a wonderful bonus of illustrations in this book. A detail I haven't seen from books in decades past. I made sure to purchase the physical book in addition to the E-book because I felt that detail alone made it special and worth collecting:)

Dina Demille runs a sentient & magical Inn that caters to non-human clientele. Her parents who disappeared under mysterious circumstances originally owned it. Alone, she must make all decisions concerning accommodations of those within her Inn's boundaries which include Her Grace, a carnivorous 60-something year old woman with elegance and a razor sharp wit named Caldenia; a sexy wolf shifter named Sean; and a handsome Vampire from another planet named Arland who was given sanctuary. Add to the mix a bunch of predatory monsters running amok in the blissfully unaware Texas neighborhood; frustrating Vampire politics, hyper-territorial Wolf Shifter instincts, a very suspicious police officer and Dina has first solo Innkeeper challenge. Will she succeed and achieve increased status or will she fail and lose her Inn?

Thankfully, her Innkeeper status affords her magical abilities of which she makes fascinating use throughout the book. Need a laboratory? Need a prayer room that follows proper Vampire protocol? How about a bedroom suitable for the most discriminating tastes? No problem, just direct the Inn to create one designed to specifications. Innkeeper in dire need of healing cocoon? No worries, the Inn takes care of its Keeper. Dina also has Beast, her loyal Shih Tzu with abilities that match his attitude and an amazing broom that can be transformed into just the right weapon for practically any situation.

I love the authors' fresh take on Vampires and Shifters, the excellent storyline and their trademark humor. This is a "must read" and a "keeper". I'm sure you will enjoy this book as much as I have.

Shoken Wars: Fragile Peace
Shoken Wars: Fragile Peace

4.0 out of 5 stars An Epic Fantasy Series Worth Reading, 4 Mar. 2014
This is an Epic Fantasy Series about different cultures on the brink of war. It is told from viewpoints of multiple characters - the good guys, the bad guys and those caught in the middle. I thought the author put a lot of forethought into the overall story, including establishing all the seemingly separate but slowly interconnected stories.
I enjoyed the diversity of characters and getting to know them: The gentle and loving King of Valkarah and his Pack of magically bonded guardians that includes Sho, an amazing woman who knows how to kick butt with great style and efficiency. Sneela, the spoiled and bitchy Queen. She is part of an arranged marriage intended to bring peace between the Valkarah and Kassnets. Orrld, a magnificently gifted Healer from the River. He was the sole survivor of a peaceful village destroyed by the Sturgar. He becomes the love of the King's life. Mag'Sood, the evil ruler of the Sturgar and his evil assistants: The Watcher and the Curver. They have magical abilities that give Mag'Sood a dangerous edge over those he intends to destroy. Lorimore, a widow and mother trying to protect her daughter. She and her daughter are slaves captured during one of Mag'Sood’s destructive raids and now caught in the middle of the war.
This book kept me entertained from beginning to end. Note, while the ending wasn't a cliffhanger, it definitely let the reader know it was "To Be Continued" in a thankfully non-frustrating way. Lastly, I offer a warning of a rape scene for those that are sensitive about the subject of violent sexual behavior. It is brief and not too graphic.
All in all, it was a great read and worth reading. I look forward to the next book!

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels Book 6)
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars A MASSIVE story packed into a normal sized book (Kate Daniels Series Book 6), 2 Aug. 2013
I am a huge fan of Ilona Andrews and by some miracle, was offered an eARC of Magic Rises (book 6 of the Kate Daniels series). Urban Fantasy at its best. I couldn't put it down! I yelled OMG and Holy Cow so many times that my landlady called me at 1:14am to find out what was going on☺ I felt every emotion except boredom. I'm so very glad the book was released so I can finally have someone with whom I can discuss this amazing story. If you haven't read the previous five books, I recommend that you do so in order to fully enjoy the experience. To fellow Kate Daniels series fans, you are in for a heck-of-a story!! May I suggest the following preparations?

1. Plan on not being able to put the book down. So get a babysitter / get a dog walker / have a sick-day excuse handy for work
2. Have your favorite comfort foods/beverages handy. I recommend Jalapeno flavored chocolates (to experience the bite of magic) and a good wine☺
3. Wear something comfortable
4. Have a box of tissues handy for all the reasons a person may feel the need to shed tears.
5. A punching bag to help work off some the adrenalin rush
6. Turn off your mobile phone
7. ***Read the extra story at the back of the book first ("An Ill-Advised Rescue"). When you're finished, take a deep breath and brace yourself for an intense & thrilling story!

Magic Rises is a MASSIVE story packed inside a normal-sized book. I don't know how the authors managed to accomplish such a feat. It is filled with intense, gripping drama, heart-pounding excitement and takes you on the emotional ride of your life. This book drops Kate into the proverbial Frying Pan before the Fire of her eventual fight with Roland.

The story opens with a devastating situation concerning twin sister shape-shifter children, one of whom is well known to Kate Daniels. They went Loup, meaning that their bodies are overwhelmed with the Lyc-V virus and they are a danger to all. It is a heart-breaking situation because Loup children must be destroyed if they are not treated with a hard-to-come-by medicine they call Panacea. Curran, the Lord of Shape-Shifters knows where to obtain Panacea but it requires performing a highly unpleasant & dangerous service for a European Pack. At the successful completion of the service, the European Pack would provide a certain quantity of the medicine as payment. Curran, Kate and several other Pack members must make a dangerous sea voyage to Europe to face certain danger, miserable politics and a possible ambush.

Some of my favorite things:
* While there is considerably less humor than the previous books in this series, we are treated to one of the funniest scenes ever. All I dare say is "Did you ever wonder what could embarrass a Bouda? Hehee!!!!
* Saimon has a wonderful moment.
* Awesome fight scenes.
* Yummy love scenes.
* New beasties and treacherous enemies.
* Lots of questions finally answered.
* I loved the ending of this story!!
* I did not need caffeine for two days after reading this book so I saved money on coffee ☺

What I did not like: That I would have to wait for the next book, Magic Breaks (Book 7) to be released.

Books in this series: Magic Bites (Book 1), Magic Burns (Book 2), Magic Strikes (Book 3), Magic Bleeds (Book 4), Magic Slays (Book 5), Magic Rises (Book 6), and in between there are Novellas, and an awesome spin-off book (Gunmetal Magic) featuring Andrea Nash and Curran POV's. (See author's website for complete list)

Sophie Line Diamonds and Thieves (Sophie Line Cat Detective Book 1)
Sophie Line Diamonds and Thieves (Sophie Line Cat Detective Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable Detective Story, 24 Jun. 2013
Sophie Line is a smart and curious girl with a very big secret. She can turn herself into a cat. No one knows, not even her father or her best friend Alex Hooper. It's a very useful gift, especially when her Uncle Ben is taken by Police under suspicion of being a jewel thief. It all started on a class trip to Pinnerton Hall, the grand home of the very nice Lady Bea. While Sophie is touring with the rest of her class, someone manages to steal a large heart-shaped diamond named the "Coeur d'Amour". Sophie must use all of her skills & talents to help prove her Uncle's innocence.

I liked reading this book and could see it being especially enjoyed by children between 7-12 years old. Who wouldn't love to be able to turn into an adorable cat to satify their nosiness and help people they care about? The author also has an adorable website with cute illustrations that children could color :) www.Sophie-Line.com

The Dating Game
The Dating Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Read, 15 April 2013
This review is from: The Dating Game (Kindle Edition)
This book takes the reader though a slice of time in a woman's (Gill McFadden) life that many women can relate to: being over 35 years old, still single, whose main focus in life has been work and then suddenly decides to get back into the dating ring... The main character, Gill McFadden is from Scotland and the reader gets to experience some of their culture. As an American, I felt that it was an added bonus:) Experiencing the dating process through Gill's eyes was entertaining and I also enjoyed Gill's relationships with her female friends. As an Urban Fantasy addict, I wasn't sure I would like it but I was very pleased at how much I enjoyed this book!