Profile for Chris_M > Reviews

Chris_M

Morphy Richards Accents 47089 Digital Filter Coffee Maker - Red
Morphy Richards Accents 47089 Digital Filter Coffee Maker - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, only one minor complaint, 26 Jan. 2013
This is my first review on anything, ever, so bear with me.

I purchased this on Amazon through a second party, due to not being able to pay with PayPal, and having, by choice, no Credit Card.
The current offer on Amazon is better than I could find anywhere else, including eBay! Personally I like it, and can find nothing negative with it as others do, EXCEPT for the dripping down the back, which I will get to after the rest of this review.

Going from previous reviews and reviews from other offers of the same model type on Amazon:

First off, it arrived 3 days after ordered, from England to Ireland, that's fast in anyone's book.

This machine has a permanent filter, which I will not use, this is by choice, as I prefer paper filters.

I cannot confirm the keeping warm for 2 hours thing, as I usually drink my Coffee when it's finished brewing. It's a rare occasion that it sits longer than 10 to 15 minutes, but has not as yet happened since my purchase. However, reading other reviews from here and other offers of the same model, the 2 hour keep-warm period works just fine.

There WAS an Instruction Manual in the box, it was inside the large triangular cardboard corner thing in the box. However, if you get a machine that has been returned to Amazon, it is possible that said manual was not returned with the appliance, or got lost along the way.
If that is the case, it can be downloaded here: [...] and is only 8 pages, so double up per-page on a printer, and you only need 2 sheets of A4 to print it out.

One of the complaints was that it was awkward to fill with water. Yes, it is a small opening, but if you have a steady hand, it shouldn't be a problem. If you do not have a steady hand, then don't use the jug, use something else that's easier to hit a small opening. Personally, I use a plastic bottle anyway, which I've had for a long time, that I marked off at various levels to know how much water for how many cups of Coffee, basically the same as the jug, only realistic cups, not what they call cups! ;-)

Somebody wrote that the measure is off, if filled to 12 cups, it produces only 11 when brewed. I cannot confirm this. I've only used it a few times, but I have kept an eye on that, and so far what water I put in, is the amount I get out minus a REALLY small amount lost due to steam which is normal in ANY machine.

Weak Coffee was another complaint. NOT an issue, I suggest that if you get weak Coffee, either check the amount of water, or the amount of Coffee grind you put in. I tried the "Aroma Function", and only noticed a slightly stronger difference, however, that may be due to my own taste in Coffee strength. I drink what I call 'spoon-melter' black Coffee, probably 2 or 3 times the normal amount of Coffee grind-to-water, if you drink normal amounts, then there may be a more pronounced difference with the "Aroma Function".

Another review mentioned that the clock loses about a minute a day, I cannot confirm that, mine runs just fine.

Now to get to the dripping issue, which is my ONLY complaint about this machine. When lifting the lid on top, the condensation drips/runs down the back of the machine and lands on whatever surface it's on. The designers DID think of this, and built in a drip catcher on the back, BUT, they obviously never tested this before producing the machine. The catcher is woefully small, and completely ineffective. So ALWAYS have a towel or kitchen paper ready to clean up the drip after lifting the lid. The amount of the drip is small, but it's having to clean it up each time the machine is used that annoys me.
My rating of 4 Stars is for this reason, and this reason alone!

In closing, for the current price on Amazon, it can't be beat.
And despite the dripping of condensation down the back, I would still recommend this machine!