Profile for Steven Brown > Reviews

Science in Sport 60 ml Go Isotonic Energy Gel Selection Box - Pack of 20
Science in Sport 60 ml Go Isotonic Energy Gel Selection Box - Pack of 20

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enery gels, 29 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are fairly tasty gels - good range of flavours - Tropical, Blackcurrant, Lemon and Lime, Apple and Orange. There isn't a single one that I don't like, they all taste good, and are easy to take.

They are easy to open, minor annoyance as it can be quite hard to squeeze the last bit out.

I'm not sure the energy boost I received was that good. They definitely helped me when I was flagging 10 miles into.a half marathon, just giving me enough to finish off. but not sure it would've kept me going that much longer!

LEGO 60124 City In/Out Volcano Exploration Base Construction Set
LEGO 60124 City In/Out Volcano Exploration Base Construction Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good Lego set, 29 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good Lego set. Has a couple of really good sized vehicles, the main one being a big truck, and a trailer big enough to fit a few mini figures in it, it's pretty chunky, and very popular with my sons.
Also popular is the huge mobile drill - I really like this vehicle, great caterpiller tracks, and very sturdy drilling arm. It looks great, and again has great playability for the kids.

In addition there is a good volcano, and a wee dumper truck to scoot around with as well.

All in all, it's a very good set, but I'm holding back from 5 stars, as I'm not sure it's great value. At this price, the other sets I've bought that it competes with are the fire station and police station, both of which are superb sets, loads of lego, the design of which is absolutely top class - I don't think that this falls into the same category - so given it costs about the same, I'm going for 4 start.

KeLink Cable Management Sleeve 5 Pack Black Cable Organiser with 250 cm Total Length | Made From Premium Quality Flexible Neoprene Cord Organizer
Offered by KeLinks

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cable tidy, 29 Aug. 2016
Got these to try and bring some order to the mass of cables over taking my desk, and am really pleased with them.

You get 5 sleeves, put the cables inside, then zip them up. This means you get a quite a lot of space - I've comfortably got 5 cables running through one sleeve, and it zipped up without issue. The result is a vast improvement in looks, the sleeve looks quite neat on the desk, but provides easy accessibility - you can just slide it up and down the cable if you need a bit of movement to plug something in.

Each sleeve is 50cm long, so provides quite good coverage without being too unwieldy, and using all 5 would provide pretty good coverage. I just use a couple at the desk side to cover the ones that are visible, and another one whether the cable come out at the power supply.

In summary, a nice elegant solution to cables overrunning the desk, highly recommended.

STAR WARS B5897ES00 The Forc e Awakens Hero Series Rey Jakku Figure
STAR WARS B5897ES00 The Forc e Awakens Hero Series Rey Jakku Figure

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Star Wars figure, 29 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not particularly impressed with this figure - I would say it was OK, but not an awful lot more than that.

For a start, the likeness isn't great - this Rey looks pretty severe, doesn't really capture the real life version.

Although the figure is a good size, and has a good-sized accessory, I'd have perhaps expected a bit more flexibility for a figure this size - instead, it's got pretty much the same joints as one of the 3.5 inch figure, that is, shoulders and hips - working elbows and knees might have provided a bit more value.

Apart from that, it seems decent quality, and the outfit and accessory are well detailed. I'm sure kids will love it (as it's Star Wars), but seems to me that the value is pretty average.

Garmin 010-01614-07 Forerunner 735XT GPS Multisport and Running Watch - Midnight Blue/Frost Blue
Offered by Start Fitness

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb running device, 23 Aug. 2016
Decided to come back to Garmin after a dreadful experience with the Garmin Fenix 3 (horrible GPS performance) - I migrated to the Suunto Ambit3, which worked nicely, and was quite reliable, but had a huge GPS blob at the front of the watch, which made it a bit daft to look at when wearing to work etc, so I decided after reading that Strava Live sgements had been released for the Garmin 735xt, to give it a try.

First impressions were that it looks excellent - probably not quite as classy looking as the Fenix 3, but smaller and lighter, and certainly not cheap looking. The screen looks very good - a huge leap on the Ambit3 screen, and clearer and sharper looking than the Fenix too.

Setup was very easy. It comes with a custom cable - (never quite sure why the sports company's aren't moving to mini or micro USB yet). It syncs to Garmin using either the cable, or via Bluetooth. Wifi seems to have fallen by the way side since my last forerunner watch (the 620) - but I haven't missed it all, the app syncing via bluetooth has worked a treat, and a lot more reliable than previous attempts at this by Garmin.

The bluetooth pairing was quick and easy, and I've found it really useful so far. As well as immediately syncing runs you've just finished to Garmin connect through your phone, you get smart notifications through your phone as well - I use an Android phone, and get notifications of emails coming - they can be easily dismissed by a single button press, or you can press another button to view and read through the message. Not a piece of core functionality, but I've found it useful and stable.

On to the main reason for me buying the watch - running. I was really keen to see the accuracy, which as I said, was horrendous on the Fenix 3. I did several loops of a track that my F3 had struggled with - and the 735xt nailed it. Track and distance was spot on.
The data field set is excellent as well - can be easily set on the watch. You choose a 1-4 data fields per screen, and are allowed up to 4 screens, which are in addition to variety of built in screens, like maps and virtual partner.
I found the instant pace accurate, which is something I’ve struggled with on previous Garmins.

A lot of features are pretty standard Garmin fare from their other watches, but other notable new features that I hadn’t used before -
- Optical HR. I’ve been pleased with this - it looks reasonably accurate so far. I’ve always used a strap, and half expected to keep having to use this in place of the optical heart rate monitor. However, the runs so far have definitely been pretty good when it comes to accuracy - I see the odd drop, where my heart rate goes down, but nowhere near enough to outweigh wearing a separate strap.

- Strava Live segments. Added by a firmware update, this is brilliant, and one of the reasons for getting this watch. Really easy to use - you star segments in Strava, and they quickly sync (over the phone or cable), and when you approach a segment, you get a warning. You can then get a screen that tells you how you are doing in the segment. It has already helped me grab a couple of PRs.

Battery life is good - several days if not used for an activity, and several hours for activities. I don’t do anything long enough to trouble it, usually max 3 hours, and that only took about 25% off the battery.

The other mode I enjoyed using was swimming mode - really good to use, picked up my stroke no bother, and counted laps accurately - this worked well with my F3, but I couldn’t help but be impressed. Far more accurate than the Suunto Ambit too.

In summary - this is an excellent watch, easily the best fitness device I’ve ever owned. It’s absolutely packed with features, looks great, is nice and lightweight, and provides a huge array of stats for your fitness, both on the watch itself, and through Garmin Connect. It’s restored my faith in Garmin after their huge Fenix3 GPS mis-step. Highly recommended.

Garmin Forerunner 735XT GPS Multisport and Running Watch - Black and Grey
Garmin Forerunner 735XT GPS Multisport and Running Watch - Black and Grey
Offered by Start Fitness

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fitness device, 23 Aug. 2016

Garmin Forerunner 735XT GPS Multisport and Running Watch - Black/Grey
Garmin Forerunner 735XT GPS Multisport and Running Watch - Black/Grey
Offered by Alfarun

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb fitness device, 23 Aug. 2016

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2016 6:51 PM BST

LEGO 60104 City Airport Passenger Terminal Construction Set
LEGO 60104 City Airport Passenger Terminal Construction Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb lego set, 21 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really pleased with this Lego set. The set has two main parts - the plane and terminal building - both of which are a very good size, and a good fun build.
The plane is a good build - there are 2 pieces in it that are bigger moulded pieces - the wings and the cockpit area of the plane. Would've maybe been nice to try and and have the wings being put together in a build rather than a single piece. The cockpit makes sense, as it's nice to be able to quickly remove so the pilot can be changed.
The inside of the plane is nice and spacious - space for a 3 rows of 2 seats wide inside the main body of the plane, and space for pilot and co-pilot up front.

The terminal is also excellent - a good size, and some lovely pieces - I really like the blueish hue of the main terminal windows, and the control tower window.

As well as the two main pieces, there are extras, a great wee luggage train, and a refuelling tanker. Having these, combined with things like the luggage belt within the control tower, gives very good playability of the set.

In summary - a great set - you get a good amount of lego for your money, it's a good fun build, and fun to play with once built. Highly recommended.

Carmex Moisture Plus Ultra Hydrating Lip Balm, Pink 2 g
Carmex Moisture Plus Ultra Hydrating Lip Balm, Pink 2 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lip balm, 18 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great lip balm - I tend to find the Carmex stuff really good, this works as well, and with a nice hint of pink. Currently selling for under three quid, a very good buy - recommended.

SanDisk Extreme 64 GB microSDXC Memory Card with SD Adapter up to 90 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value card, 18 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really pleased with this - a very quick, high capacity card, at an excellent price. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20