Profile for Mr. B. Shepherd > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. Shepherd

Mr. B. Shepherd "BLS" (England, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Weight Lifting Wrist Straps Heavy Duty Wrist Support For Weight Training, BodyBuilding, Olympic Lifting, Power Lifting, CrossFit and Strongman (Black/Blue)
Offered by UrbanLifters

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 14 Aug. 2016
This is my third set of urban lifter straps, next to the knee wraps, and deadlift straps.

The quality of all of urban lifter straps are second to none. I tend to only use the best equipment and have no issues paying for quality. It is pleasing to say that these straps are up there with the best quality and are available at a good price.

Overall satisfied with these and would buy again if there was anything else I need, though I appear to have kitted myself out already with urban lifter straps, a symptom of their excellent quality.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Absolutely Amazing XL 100% Hand Crafted, Forged Iron ROSE !!! Anniversary wrought iron stunning piece of art - perfect as a gift for any occasion!!!
Offered by Handicrafts Boutique

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 6 Jun. 2016
Bought for 6th year anniversary, iron.

The rose is nicely crafted. It's larger and bigger than you might expect (size comparison to a paperback attached). It's maybe one and a half foot tall. The paint is nicely applied, though it does round off away from the finer details making this item a little less etched than I might have liked for a flower.

Whilst bought as a romantic gesture I would suggest that perhaps this is better suited as a garden item.
Comment Comment | Permalink

1.8" 6 Digits LED Interval Timer for Fitness Mutlit Function Including Regular Clock,Stopwatch, Timing Intervals and Countdown/up IR Remote Control Long Lifespan

1.0 out of 5 stars A bad experience from start till finish, 2 Jun. 2016
I really wanted to like this product, and if it worked it would be brilliant.

To start let me say that the seller was very understanding and supportive. I can't fault the seller and he gets 5 stars himself. However, the product is bad.

Initially the product was shipped to me using Fed Ex. The closest office to collect it from in proximity to my home address was 30 miles away and Fed Ex does not have easily accessible office hours. This was my first irritation with the product. Once I got the product I noticed that the controller was damaged (pic attached). I contacted the seller and he sent a replacement controller.

I installed the timer and it looks nice (pic attached). It works well, and all pre-programmed work outs are as expected. The controller is a little difficult to understand though. The problem is that the power supply to the timer, and the adopter socket, both appear damaged. The timer has a habit of randomly turning itself off, which if you're half way through a timed workout is a major inconvenience. Lightly touch the power supply cable and it comes back on. I suspect with a little time it will never come back on again. This is clearly a product fault, which when combined with the controller leads me to believe that perhaps there are issues with the build quality.

I contacted the seller to explain the issue and he refunded me. I'll have to look at buying an alternative brand. This is a bigger issue given that I have already drilled holes into my garage wall!

I should also say, I have recently received a £20 tax bill for the imported duties also. The timer was shipped directly from China and did result in extra charges, which you'll have to factor into your purchase price. Don't let the price quoted fool you. You will be stung with a further bill on top of the purchase price.

In total this could have been a good product but ultimately my experience has been plagued by problem, problem, problem. Perhaps I was just unlucky. I'd caution you to buy it at your own risk.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Crossfit for Beginners: A Guide from Amateur to Fitness Warrior (Fitness Workout Guide)

4.0 out of 5 stars My review is nearly as long as the book!, 3 Dec. 2015
A 30 minute introduction to Crossfit, which does essentially what it says, i.e. provides a short intro to Crossfit for beginners.

Being around 40 pages long the book covered little. The three mains sections were:

1. What is Crossfit (a jack of all trades fitness regime)
2. What are the common terms used (sets, reps, burpees etc.)
3. What are the main exercises (cardio, body weight and powerlifting)

There are no diagrams and only a brief description of how to do each exercise, e.g. Deadlift and Squats. I believe the book could have benefited from pictures. Being familiar with the gym I knew what they meant, I fear that others might not. However I do appreciate that added content incurs a price, and this is a free book!

The book took around 30 minutes to read and was reasonably engaging. There are some unsubstantiated references such as comments like generally accepted (by whom?!) etc. Again I can't gripe too much as this isn't intended to be an encyclopaedia, nor is it a meaty enough book to warrant such references.

The Crossfit Manual, on the Crossfit website, does provide a better manual or insight into Crossfit. However, if you're after a quick read to get you up to speed with what Crossfit is this is probably your place to start.

Thank you to the author for this FREE book.

EDIT:- I see the book now costs £2. Simply put its not worth that. Just download the Crossfit book off the website for free. That would be better for you.

From Shotokan to the Street
From Shotokan to the Street
by Andi Kidd

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and entertaining, 2 Dec. 2015
A good easy read - perfect for just before bed. I would describe and divide the book into 4 sections.

A) Kihon (basics)
1. Being aware of your surroundings
2. Having a strategy - how far would you go and do you know the consequences of this
3. Psychology - fight or flight reflex, what would you be prepared to do and does your training reflect your strategy
4. Line work and the importance of hitting things

B) Kata (forms) - the lightest section
5. The importance of knowing what each move means
9. Training by yourself and how to make this less painful/more constructive

C) Kumite (sparring)
6. Sports vs reality, rules vs no rules
7. Hitting things and getting feedback/reactive action from an opponent
8. Importance of fitness training, types of fitness e.g. marathon vs sprint vs muscle strength fitness - does your fitness level reflect your strategy

D) Misc (sections that don't fit easy into other sections)
10. Setting your training goals and what it is that you are trying to achieve
11. Testing yourself (physically and mentally) by using scenario based testing
12. Gradings as a bond between teacher and student

The book doesn't set the world on fire nor does it intend to. It does however give an honest account of martial arts training vs real life violence. The author did attempt to praise the virtues of kata but did leave me feeling that perhaps basics and sparring were all that was necessary within my training remit (not his intended consequence). My reasoning for this is that his sections on understanding the principle of 'moves' and learning to make these apply against others were so compelling that I was left feeling that perhaps kata was not as relevant, despite him saying otherwise.

Overall an entertaining read with an easy, friendly and highly engaging writing style. By this I mean you could easily kick back and relax whilst reading this book in bed after a hard day without it feeling overtly mentally taxing. The book includes diagrams and constructive little one liners, which you'll no doubt find highly entertaining whilst mentally enriching.

A really good read for martial artists at around 180 pages. The font is medium sizes, not too small, not too large. The book would take an average reader roughly 5-6 hours to complete allowing for time to reflect. Recommended to fellow practitioners as it will no doubt have something of value to offer for everyone.

How to Build a Black Belt Business
How to Build a Black Belt Business
by Michael Turbitt

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read for potential professional martial artists, 2 Dec. 2015
Reading this book I couldn't help but feel that I have made every mistake the author draws reference to. After teaching for 7 years what he said rang true and felt like - oh right, that will be why that didn't work for me. In many ways I wish I had read this book 7 years ago and saved myself some of the pain that I have experienced through trial and error.

Essentially the contents runs as follows:

- What is my vision
- What is my mission
- Who am I targeting
- How will I teach my classes
- Picking a location
- Getting paid and setting my prices
- Marketing
- Creating programmes & setting curriculums
- Key Performance Indicators
- Planning business success

To give you a feel of the value, the author draws references to marketing asking why many martial artists use action photos that look serious and technical rather than using photos of members laughing and enjoying themselves. Action shots mean something to fellow professionals, fun means something to potential new students. As our websites are aimed at recruiting new students he argues that our traditional marketing strategy doesn't work for our audience.

The book is written in a "self-help" type format. It encourages the reader to engage and write down their thoughts throughout. This may work for some, others may not like it. Whilst just over 200 pages the font size is large and would take an average reader just over 4 hours to complete making it an easy read.

If you're a professional martial artists I would highly recommend reading this book.

Introducing Economics: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
Introducing Economics: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good read., 15 Feb. 2015
I bought this graphical novel thinking it would be a graphical novel type book - it wasn't really what I was expecting.

In truth the book runs through more of the history of Economics, starting with an intro into the concept of money, the capital markets, free movement of goods, supply and demand, and some other core concepts. These are introduced to us by people in a set time period, e.g. Adam Smith, as the book progresses. By the end of the book you come full circle to modern day economics, including the sub-prime debt collapse and some of the reforms now taking place to classical Economics.

The art, if you can call it that, feels like cut out pictures from newspapers in the 1930s. They don't really offer anything in addition to the book text itself, offering instead a head against which an irrelevant speech bubble can be attached.

Knowing what I now know I doubt I would have bought this book. My feeling is that there are much better books introducing economics and I didn't feel that this one did a very good job at the task it self-assigned. The book felt cheap, didn't feel like a graphical novel, felt like a history expo and was frankly boring.

Batman: Year One
Batman: Year One

4.0 out of 5 stars Average, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't sure what to make of this book. Its boasted as being one of the top DC reads around - perhaps because of Frank Miller.

The theme is pretty much, Jim Gordon is a new cop trying to be a good guy. Batman is new on the scene trying to be a super hero without messing up and getting himself caught/killed. Both end up working together for the good of the city. That's pretty much the sum of it.

There was no real story so per say. A bit of character development around Jim and the Bat, but overall the feel of the book felt like the original Batman TV series from the 1960s, which in a way may have been what Miller was after.

The art felt dated, though as the book was drawn around 1986 this is perhaps not surprising. Did the book blow my mind - NO. Was it as good as say, Kingdom Come - NO. Do I recommend it, perhaps, if you can get it on the £3 sales. Otherwise it just didn't feel like anything to write home about.

Fool's Assassin (Fitz and the Fool, Book 1)
Fool's Assassin (Fitz and the Fool, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Obvious plot, slow at points, very much meh., 15 Feb. 2015
Okay, it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible.

I last read a tale of Fitz around 2005, I think. This was the end of the last trilogy around the character, and the fool. I vaguely remember some of the story, though my main recollections were of the wolf, Nighteyes. One day I saw a poster on the underground for this new book and thought, got to give that a try - so I did.

I suspect that a lot of people came to this book in a very similar fashion to me. It is therefore unsurprising that in a bid to update new readers and refresh old readers, Robin writes a lot about the original character development as a form of recollection - e.g. his Assassin training and the plot of the first trilogy including getting witted to the wolf. This I guess was nice, and in a way, was needed - maybe.

However, the book itself is not a small read. It is a massive book in itself with the reality being, the plot really doesn't go anywhere significant for a very long time. The fool only rocks up around 89% of the way through the book and even then his arrival is obvious. The plot mainly revolves around Molly and the 2nd daughter Fitz has with her (Bee). Who Bee ends up being you could see around 1/4 of the way through the book with the plot feeling very very forced.

I have hopes for the sequel and its possible that this book simply suffered from trying to get new readers up to speed at the detriment of the plot development. This did however cause the book to feel slow for pretty much all of it. I wouldn't describe it as a page turner as at points I really struggled to finish it. I did finish it out of loyalty but even when I did I found myself just rolling my eyes and thinking, saw that coming a mile off.

My comments appear to be routine amongst readers of this book. I doubt that your experience will differ from ours significantly. If you've read the other trilogies you probably will this one, but I wouldn't recommend approaching the book with great expectations.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2015 6:19 PM BST

The ZimZum of Love: A New Way of Understanding Marriage
The ZimZum of Love: A New Way of Understanding Marriage

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad, 15 Feb. 2015
I bought this book thinking that it would be about Rob Bell giving a pastoral analysis of marriage. I was unfortunately very wrong.

Entitled Zimzum, the idea is that this word is a hint of a hebrew concept for God making room for creation. In a similar way two people need to create room for each other to have a successful marriage. And that in a core shell is the book - no need to spend any money on it now!

The rest of the book is about the usual normal stuff that relationships are made of, i.e. listening to each other, respecting each other, ensuring that you keep yourselves private - really simple stuff. It's related in a narrative fashion of a conversation between Rob and his wife. This wonderful marriage we are suggested should be our model of copy, with some stick diagrams along the way to assist.

In reality the book offers nothing new, nothing unique and nothing significant. Its a very short read taking me just under 3-4 hours in total. I finished it hoping that some clouds parting and realisation experience would occur but it didn't. If you didn't already know that Rob was a paster you wouldn't have picked this up from his book given even on that front he was very thin.

The only thing he gets an extra star for is the unique way he referred to quantum physics and some science based ideas, but in truth this is me being generous and looking for some good in a lot of bad.

Even if you could get the book for free it is not my recommendation that you waste your time reading a book about the obvious.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8