Profile for Ms. D. M. Harding-hubbard > Reviews

Content by Ms. D. M. Hard...

Ms. D. M. Harding-hubbard "Dayna!!" (Lincolnshire)

Page: 1 | 2
Attachments
Attachments
by Rainbow Rowell

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Paperback)
*sighs happily* I could just go right back to the beginning and read this all over again. If books were types of hugs, this would be a great big cuddly, cozy, bear hug! I truly loved it. I felt the ending was a little rushed but it didn't make me love it any less. It's funny and romantic and oh so nostalgic. It was set around the turn of the 21st century, I would have been 16 then, so it really took me back to those days. It had me on edge not knowing whether Lincoln, the IT security guy who has to read all the emails that have been flagged, and Beth, the movie reviews reporter, would ever end up together; Whether he would ever come clean or even *how* he would come clean. - How on earth was he going to tell Beth he'd fallen in love with her from reading her's and Jennifer's emails to one another? Admittedly, it does sound shifty but, come on, it's kinda romantic! I loved Rainbow's writing style for Beth and Jennifer and the fact their conversations were set out just like emails. Their characters were such a hoot. It felt like they were your best friends, too. They were funny and chatty and when they were going through bad times you wanted to be there for them and help them through it or put the world to rights with them or insult all of man kind and have a boyfriend bonfire (yeah I'm totally channelling Phoebe, Rachel and Monica from Friends right now) when they're having guy problems. They really had me laughing at times - actually a lot of the time - and reminded me so much of me and my best friend. I had to chuckle when Beth revealed to Jennifer that she was following *cough* stalker *cough* Lincoln - aka "my cute guy" - around because she fancied him. Finding out that she's done that, really had me rooting for her and Lincoln. And I thought surely, because she fancied him so much so she had the overwhelming urge to follow him around, that it was destiny, they HAVE to be together and she would just HAVE to forgive him for his not-so-traditional way of falling for her seeing as, ya know, she'd been stalking him and all! I wanted them to get together so bad. There was one point, near to the end, where I felt so deflated and sad because I really didn't think this was going to happen. My boyfriend even asked me what was wrong. When I told him why, his response was, "it's just a book". Now, isn't that the typical response given by someone who doesn't read?! *sigh* They just don't "get it". By the time I'd got to the last page I had this massive smile on my face. I loved it! Loved it! Loved it! I know some have said how unrealistic the outcome of Lincoln and Beth was but, hey, that's fiction for ya!

The Holistic Beauty Book: With Over 100 Natural Recipes for Beautiful Skin
The Holistic Beauty Book: With Over 100 Natural Recipes for Beautiful Skin
by Star Khechara

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to make my own natural beauty products now!, 16 July 2014
What a fab and wonderful book this was! This is primarily a recipe book to make your own Earth-friendly natural skin/beauty products but it is also filled with information on how to care for your skin, and how using natural products is not only kinder to your skin but also the environment, and also info about the beauty industry and the "natural" products commercially sold in shops and how they aren't so natural after all! There is also a small section near the front of the book with a few food recipes to steer you in the right direction to eating healthy. And eating healthy means healthy skin too!

You don't have to read this from the beginning, you can just dip in and out of it whenever you want. It's filled with tonnes of really easy to follow recipes to make your own yummy and kind-to-your-skin beauty products from lip balms to face creams to shampoo, and from just a handful of ingredients too! I'm itching to make some scrummy smelling lip balm and all I'd need is 2 or 3 ingredients! The first thing I wanted to do after reading this, actually it was during if I'm totally honest, is go out and buy all the ingredients and utensils to make my own beauty products. I can't wait to try them out. The best thing about making your own products is that you know exactly what you're putting in there and that there's no nasty chemicals or added preservatives, colours etc. Instead it is all natural which is especially great if you have sensitive skin. This book really is amazing and definitely worth a read.

Violet Midnight (The Enchanters Series Book 1)
Violet Midnight (The Enchanters Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting read, 31 May 2014
I adore Violet Midnight. It is such a magical, enchanting and unique story with a sexy romance trickling through it. Ahhh my kinda book! ;) I was taken away on an air of prettyful purple glitter where I was then introduced to Jane (a beautiful petite redhead who can control the elements; especially water) and Elias (gorgeous, dark haired and muscular) who fell in love after Jane thought Elias was some guy she was dreaming about but those dreams end up being real! She could see him but he couldn't physically see her, only feel her. And if he talked, she'd disappear, leaving purple glitter in her path and the scent of rosemary. He is absolutely entranced by her despite not having seen her and this of course triggers his curiosity so naturally he sets out to find her. They are drawn to one another like soul-mates, like destiny, and it is so intense. Oh to have a relationship like that. *sigh* The romance aside, there is a darker side to the story. Jane is an enchanter. Well, actually, she is THE enchanter, making her the strongest and most powerful of all. Because of this, other enchanters want to take it from her but she ain't going down without a fight and with Elias right by her side!

The book swings back and forth between Jane's and Elias's PoV which I love as I like knowing what's going on with other characters. I also liked that there'd be a chapter here and there entitled "Before" which would take you back to events that happened in the past. The writing just flows beautifully and is so humorous at times -Elias's pants drama *coughs*- and it completely draws you in; becoming part of the characters' lives, living it as they live it, feeling what they feel, and loving who they love. I was totally engrossed in the story. If Allie Burke can take me away on a journey like that, she is truly a phenomenal writer.

The Pack
The Pack
by Jason Starr

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read., 6 May 2012
This review is from: The Pack (Paperback)
What struck me about this novel is that although it's an urban fantasy about werewolves, it doesn't read like one for the most part. More like a psychological thriller. For those wanting to ease their way into the urban fantasy/paranormal world, this would be a great introduction. I love how Simon's character develops throughout the book. How he copes with losing his job, becoming a stay-at-home-dad, trying to work through marital problems and then on top of all that, meets Michael and the gang and goes through some other major changes.

I like how the story was written from multiple points of view and how well eat character's personality was written too. I'm always a bit iffy about reading a male author's take on women but was quite impressed by Starr's portrayal of Olivia and Alison.

I have to admit, I have a soft spot for Ramon with his smooth and charming ways but can't say I warmed to Michael at all though the reader wasn't really supposed to. He was on a power trip. I found him intimidating, brash, cold and incredibly forward. From a female's point of view, I can't really see why Olivia was so attracted to him. Then again Olivia did turn out to have a crazy side and I also found her needy and desperate.

It was a great read though a little slow paced to begin with. The morning after the big show down on the roof of the brewery, I was really hoping for more of an explanation as to what happened in the aftermath but maybe we'll find out more in the sequel, The Craving. I would like to have had more emphasis on the paranormal but that's down to pure preference on my part. I'm hoping that in book 2 we'll get even more background on the werewolves. Can't wait to find out what happens next!

Shift (The Protector Book 2)
Shift (The Protector Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing sequel!, 4 May 2012
As was the case with Merrick's debut Exiled, the sequel Shift is just as darkly exciting and magical with just a drop of romance (which *cough* I'm hoping for more of in book 3 by the way Matthew *cough*. Yes, yes I like me a side of romance with my paranormal). Unlike with a few other books that I've read, this certainly wasn't snail paced. There's a lot going on to constantly keep your eyes glued and your attention permanently focused on the story. As you turn the first page you're thrown right in to the middle of a scene ****spoiler alert**** where Rayna is trying to fight against turning in to a werecat so from that moment on you're immediately gripped, sucked in to the story, not wanting to stop reading until you've gotten to the very end (which, if you're a human, becomes tricky when you have to stop to eat, pee and sleep. Damn not being a modern day sparkly vampire! :p ).

Merrick's writing just gets better and better and even more un-put-downable as the story unfolds and we learn more and more about each character. I love books that have witty and sarcastic retorts and Shift has plenty of that, of which I think mostly take place between Chase and Rayna or Chase and Vincent and I have to admit, a couple of times, I kinda found myself wanting to bash Chase and Vincent's heads together ha ha ha. Chase, Rayna and Willy's characters progress even more in Shift as does Chase and Rayna's relationship. Chase is battling with his new found powers, Rayna's battling with her shifter self and poor old Willy...well let's just say he goes through some major changes too which totally had me in shock and had my jaw dropping about 3 feet to the floor which brings me back around full circle to say there's a lot of surprises in store for you when you read Shift, trust me. It's demon-hunters, shapeshifters, witches, vamps and fairytales all covered in awesome sauce and wrapped in a little red bow. This is a series that all lovers of the paranormal genre should definitely have on their bookshelves/e-readers.

Chocolate Box Girls: Marshmallow Skye
Chocolate Box Girls: Marshmallow Skye
by Cathy Cassidy

5.0 out of 5 stars Marshmallow Skye is such a sweet read., 22 Sept. 2011
So, I have stepped away from the vamps and the werewolves, the Shadowhunters (or demon hunters for those of you who aren't familiar with Cassandra Clare's work), the demons, and faeries, to delve into a more, true to life story but, before I could even get as far as opening the book, I couldn't help gushing and drooling over the cover. It's gorgeous! It's sweet and cute and was really making me crave chocolates. It's so yummy looking!

The story was so beautifully written. It is aimed at a younger age group (9+) but it's written in such a way that an older person -like myself- wouldn't feel out-of-place reading it. I admit, I was a bit unsure about reading it at first because of the fact it was aimed at younger readers but I'm so glad I did. I could happily go back to the beginning and start all over again. There is such a fab twist to the story. I really wasn't expecting it. I just kind of expected it to be about growing up and finding yourself etc but it isn't quite. There is a lot more to the story than you may think when reading the blurb. Yes, it's about a girl who feels she's always in her twin's shadow and it's about becoming a teen and discovering boys and make-up and the usual teen-coming-of-age stuff but there is also a much deeper, spookier side to the story and I loved how the story unfolded and how there could be more to Skye's dreams of "Ghost Boy" than you may think.

I think girls who read this book will be sure to empathise with Skye and her friends and all the things they are going through when it comes to turning the big ONE THREE. It also teaches them that it is perfectly ok to go against the grain, to be their own person and not to follow others if that's not what makes them happy.

Immortal Beloved (The Knight Trilogy Book 2)
Immortal Beloved (The Knight Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally captivated., 23 Aug. 2011
Immortal Beloved, book 2 in The Knight Trilogy series, is the sequel to The Forest of Adventures .

************The Forest of Adventures Spoiler Alert************

The way Mina is handling Blake's departure is just heartbreaking. I think we've all been there to some extent and can empathise with the pain she is going through. Since Blake left, Mina's Uncle Josef has been the shoulder she can cry on, the one who will wade through the misery right along side her because he too knows what it feels like to be heartbroken. Delta on the other hand is like a rock to Mina and will hold her up and keep her afloat and make her do those normal mundane things when all she wants to do is drown in her misery and with the help of both Delta and Josef and also the added help of Daisy (I was glad to see her and Mina trying to work things out), they attempt to get Mina back to a little normalcy. Mina is just going through the motions though. Little do they no the inner turmoil she suffers.

Just when she's given up, The Realm comes back in to her life and she is informed that Blake is in danger and only she can save him. Mina, along with her friends, Delta and Sam, must go on a perilous journey to Egypt to save Blake and bring him home. A journey that will change them all forever.

It's nice to be back in this magical story. Ohhh I love the whole Ancient Egypt-ness! That and Greek mythology were one of my favourite things to learn about in school! On reading Immortal Beloved, I got all excited at the mythology of Ancient Egypt coming to life and actually seen as being true in the world of The Knight Trilogy. I've always found it so interesting and magical - captivating - and Katie's telling of it didn't disappoint. I got so lost in the story and felt like I was right there with Blake. Speaking of Blake, I love that the book is written in first person from Mina's POV and in third person from Blake's. I love reading a story from both sides of the coin.

Katie takes you on twists and turns that find you mistrusting those you thought you could trust and trusting those you probably shouldn't. I still have my suspicions about one particular character and I think Mina's trust in him is the reason behind what happened to her.

There is an interesting twist that is appearing between Delta and Mina. You get a glimpse of this near the beginning of the story. Delta is definitely one of my favourite characters. She's not the toughnut she makes herself out to be. Love her! As someone who hasn't flown before, remind me not to get on a plane with Delta! She's so mean lol! Delta has me in stitches! She's so mean to Sam ha ha ha! I love the witty banter that goes on between them 2. I would love to have seen what went on in that car with Delta and Sam. Lol! Saying that, it didn't really need much explaining. Ha ha ha. Delta and Sam have a love/hate relationship (or maybe hate/hate is more apt) at the beginning but it really develops through out the story. Although you could kind of see it coming.

The character, Florin makes a very brief appearance in Immortal Beloved but although brief, he makes quite an impact on the reader. I'm thinking he will most definitely be making a re-appearance in the next book. There's just something....suspect about him - more than meets the eye with that one. He's definitely not just some hot French teaching assistant I'm sure of it. Ms. Minerva the librarian has cropped up in the story a couple times. I'm wondering if she'll feature more in the next book. It was her surname that got me wondering. Hmmm...

And :-O at the ending. I can't believe it ended there! A perfect way to end book 2 though. What a cliffhanger! After reading that, the preface makes sooo much sense. A whimpering noise escaped me the second time I read it. I absolutely loved this book. An amazing and captivating read that drew me in from the very beginning. I wasn't sure if combining both The Realm and Ancient Egypt mythology would work but somehow it does although I do miss the focus being on The Realm. I'm hoping there'll be more focus on it in book 3. Can not wait to find out what happens!

#TeamBlake forever!

Madly & Wolfhardt (Madly Series Book 2)
Madly & Wolfhardt (Madly Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical read., 15 Aug. 2011
Before I start rambling on about how awesome the book was, I just wanted to take a moment to comment on the cover which I think is so breathtaking, so ethereal. It encompasses the atmosphere and theme of the story perfectly.

Now, on to the review. but, wait, I just want to add that...I am in love with Jackson. There I said it. And if I may, I'm going to borrow a phrase from the lovely author, Tiffany King and say, Jackson is a McHottie! I wanted to take him for myself. He's my new fictional crush (there are a few lol) who I imagine to look like Alex Meraz or Eric Balfour but is as tall as Daniel Cudmore. Jackson is Madly's love interest but she is unfortunately due to be betrothed to Aiden and that is all I will say on the matter because I want to make it as non-spoilery as possible).

I have to admit, I am glad I hadn't read Madly before now and that I was able to read it knowing that I could move on to Wolfhardt straight after because if not, I would have been left with a mouth hanging wide open in disbelief thinking, "WHAT? NO! I, I...It can't end there!!" *sulks* As it was, this didn't happen and was safe in the knowledge that I could just swipe the page and continue reading

Madly and Wolfhardt are an amazingly enchanting and wondrous read about the Mer folk with a modern day twist. There were some incredibly funny moments and we can not forget that there were some very steamy moments too This was my first experience of reading about the Mer and it has been very enjoyable indeed - that's an understatement! I love that they have their own magical world but journey on to shore to interact with our world to protect the descendants of the Lore. I also love that it was interwoven with fairytales. I was quite shocked when Wolfhardt finished because I wasn't expecting it although it was a perfect place to finish it. There was such a shocking twist to the tale that even I hadn't seen coming.

I have to say, I am intrigued to know what will come of the twins (one of which Madly's friend, Jersey was dating but who then dumped her). There's something odd about them. My thinking is they are part of a certain fairy tale and I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out which but I can't put my finger on it I then thought maybe they could be the Grimm brothers. I'm hoping we find out more about the twins in book 3. I'm also wondering what will happen to poor old Aiden and how what happened will affect his life as a mer.

I'm so excited for book 3! I wish I could read it already. I'm itching to find out what happens!

Meant to Be (The Saving Angels Series Book 1)
Meant to Be (The Saving Angels Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written., 18 July 2011
Can a dream become reality and why is Krista so inexplicably drawn to Santa Cruz?
After Krista's Dad's passing, her Mum, much to Krista's surprise and joy, decides they should move to Santa Cruz and make a new start. On her first day at her new school, Krista be-friend's Sam and realises they have so much in common that maybe there is more to it. Maybe they have some kind of connection but what? Soon after, she meets Mark and, Sam's boyfriend, Shawn. They all share this freaky connection although Krista's connection to Mark is much more intense.

I love the main character, Krista. She actually reminds me of myself. She loves chocolate and could quite happily spend hours in a book store. The relationship she has with her mum is just lovely. I felt so sad when they had their little "hiccup". It's pretty much how I feel when in The Gilmore Girls Rory and her mum have that big fall out. I just really felt for them and hoped that things would be ok.

The relationship between Krista and Mark is pretty intense but, because of certain things that have happened, you can understand why.

When I first started reading Meant To Be I actually thought it was just going to be a romance story but then it takes this sudden, exciting turn where it's no longer focused on romance but on fighting for their lives against an unexpected villain.

Meant To Be is an incredibly sweet and suspenseful story with a very interesting turn of events. The story flows beautifully and the character development was great. A perfect summer read! I never wanted it to end. I have it as an eBook and just kept swiping the screen and saying, "Noooo but I don't want it to end there!" and was extremely happy to discover there was to be a sequel as there is so much we have yet to learn about the characters, their past and why they are the way they are. I'm looking forward to the sequel, Forgotten Souls so much which will hopefully be released at the end of this month!

The Well
The Well
by Peter Labrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally gripping!, 18 July 2011
This review is from: The Well (Paperback)
An incredibly chilling and disturbing read. When I saw the title I thought, "What on earth could happen in a well that takes 260 pages to explain?" as it happens, a lot! I really like the fact that the book is written from each character's point of view. It makes a change to know what each character is thinking. The main focus of the story is on Becca and Matt who fall down a well after fooling around but you also get to know the lives of the other characters. Each characters paths then eventually cross and it's a race against time to get Becca and Matt out but there is a much, much darker reason as to how they came to end up in the well which unravels as the story progresses.

Labrow doesn't sugar coat stuff and is brutally honest about certain things that happen in the book which I found shocking at times yet refreshing; he really does get inside his characters heads and have them talk, think or do things that, when you think about it, would actually be quite realistic for a person to do or think but are usually too shocking for most authors to reveal in their books. I have to admit there were times when I found certain parts quite unsettling but I just couldn't stop reading - It had gripped me by its' claws and refused to let go. It had me scared witless at times and if this was a movie I'd be hiding behind that cushion throughout the whole film - seriously! It has been years since I have felt so scared and creeped out by a book that I was afraid to go to bed in case of nightmares. Stephen King, you have some serious competition there my friend!

If you love your horror and being scared silly, then this book is definitely for you!

Page: 1 | 2