Profile for Pete in Wiltshire > Reviews

Content by Pete in Wiltshire

Pete in Wiltshire (Wiltshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Big Cheese Rat Cage Trap
The Big Cheese Rat Cage Trap

5.0 out of 5 stars Seem to work, 9 May 2015
I frequently get rats in my loft, and before I tried these cages, had tried poison, snap-traps and electric-shock traps. The cages appear to have been the most effective (baited with peanut butter).

The only downside (obviously) is that the rat is caught alive so there is then the issue of dispatching it.

Beurer BM58 High End Design Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Beurer BM58 High End Design Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor

1.0 out of 5 stars Lousy Kit, Waste of Money, 24 Jan. 2015
Reads BP fine, but the real value is getting the data onto a compujter and analysing the data. This part simply doesn't work.

When I first bought the kit (October 2014) I noticed that the connection was very hit-and-miss, but I finally worked out a sequence of button pushes on the BM58 which would put it in the correct mode for the PC to grab the data. However I foolishly downloaded an update to the Beurer Health Manager software in January 2015, and since then, without fail, the software reports an error trying to connect to the BM58.

So this represents a waste of £50. Furthermore, when I move away from this product to something else, I will lost all my data as Beurer Health Manager stores it in a proprietary format.

Beurer 3-in-1 Blood Glucose Monitoring System
Beurer 3-in-1 Blood Glucose Monitoring System

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Piece of Kit, 24 Jan. 2015
It measures blood glucose easily using a standard prick/test strip mechanism, then it plugs into a USB port on a computer (where it is recognised as an external device) and interacts with the Beurer Health Manager software, which sucks in the data and performs various analyses.

Success rate in getting data from device to PC: 100%

Carte Noire Espresso No 5 Delicat 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Carte Noire Espresso No 5 Delicat 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, a bit weak, 9 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Delicate I suppose is the word for these capsules. What taste these was was pleasant enough, but to be honest it was simply too weak for my taste. I certainly wouldn't want to try Numbers 4 or below!

A couple of issues with the capsules, every now and again one seems to jam in the machine. Nice idea to put the capsules into foil bags - you get a wonderful aroma when you open it - but it does tend to bulk up the packaging.

Carte Noire Espresso No 9 Intense 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Carte Noire Espresso No 9 Intense 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay...but I'd probably stick with Nespresso, 6 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been drinking this coffee for a couple of weeks now and it has grown on me.

Given the "No 9" name of these capsules, in my mind I was expecting an Arpeggio-like flavour (Arpeggio is the Nespresso capsule with strength rating 9/10) but I didn't find this coffee to be as rich or deep as the Nespresso cap.

I've tried the Carte Noire brand in the past - I've found, when bought in France, that Carte Noire is delicious. But, when bought in the UK, is a lot more "toned down". I suspect that I'm drinking the "toned down" coffee here.

Putting the caps into sachets is a nice touch, you get a wonderful aroma when you open the sachet, but it does bulk the packaging up. Also, I've had a couple of capsule failures, where the capsule has been crushed by the machine, which I don't normally get with Nespresso caps.

Heavy Duty Paper Log Briquette Maker - A Simple way to Recycle your Old papers / Newspapers - Alternative to burning charcoal
Offered by Harrys Bargain Basement

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 25 Mar. 2014
Used this without any problems. My main fear was that it wouldn't be sturdy enough, but in the event it was fine.

Makes briquettes that are approximately the size of house bricks, and I was surprised just how much paper goes into each brick - I had something like six months worth of shredded paper, and the return was just five bricks. So I think this tool is something I will use, but probably not very often.

Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Tracker - Black
Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Tracker - Black
Offered by UK Dealz

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick, 25 Mar. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a couple of Garmin gadgets already and thought I'd try this one. Very impressed, seems to be a rival to the Fitbit range (my wife has one of those).

There's a little bit of setting up to do, you need to install some software (pc or mac), plug a tiny dongle (an ANT+ communicator) into a usb port, then hit the Garmin Connect web site. But its all pretty straightforward (I already have a Garmin Connect account so that made things a little easier).

Once the device is set up, you can look at the following items (there is a single button on the device and you just press it continually to cycle through these):

number of steps today,
number of steps to go until you've reached today's goal (you set your goal in Garmin Connect),
distance (there must be somewhere you can set your distance per step)
number of calories burned (you enter your weight into Garmin Connect and it calculated this)
time
date

Those last two are interesting since it means that the wristband duals up as a watch - I think fir me this will be the crucial difference between wearing it or not.

Last of all, the wristband will measure your heart rate. I'd have thought the wristband itself would be able to do this, since its next to your skin, but instead there was a separate heart rate monitor in the box (one of the ones that straps around your chest).

As regards the analysis of all this data, you just press-and-hold the button on the device and it will automatically start to sync with your computer (the dongle needs to be plugged in). You can then see loads of graphs etc. in Garmin Connect. It really does look pretty slick, and looks like they've spent a good deal of effort making it all user friendly.

I think if you've decided that having a pedometer is important to you, you could do a lot worse than this one.

Draper 1 Tonne Bulk Waste Bag
Draper 1 Tonne Bulk Waste Bag
Offered by Packaging.Products.Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Mar. 2014
These bags are so good, durable and really excellent value, superb for garden waste.

My only possible criticism is that they might be a little too big in terms of volume, but only because once filled (with garden waste) they are too heavy to carry. But seriously, for me these were a far better option than standard garden refuse bags.

100 Hits: Rock 'N' Roll
100 Hits: Rock 'N' Roll

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Mix, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: 100 Hits: Rock 'N' Roll (Audio CD)
I bought this just really to have a selection of traditional rock'n'roll music in our collection.

There is a fair amount of chaff mixed in with the wheat, but to be honest for the price of this set it is excellent value overall.

Slate Oil 100ml
Slate Oil 100ml
Offered by Galleon Fireplaces

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Slate Oil 100ml (Misc.)
I've just had a slate hearth fitted and this oil brings it up really well, just like the day it was fitted.

I thought at first that 100ml wasn't a great deal, but I found that just a few drops cover quite a large area (it is oil after all). So I'd say that there are probably 20 applications or more within this bottle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9