Profile for John Burke > Reviews

Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
by Mark Earls

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all humans, 28 Oct. 2010
Mark's book has had a dramatic effect on not only the way I approach advertising but how I navigate my personal life as well. Central to the books 'theory' is that we are highly developed deeply nuanced social apes. Distilling that down further, we just all really want to get along. Well, more accurately interact with one another. Interaction is what we seek most regardless of the context, we need it. It's what fuels us.

Mark builds his case from a wide variety of disciplines and collected information and it's a strong one. In his talks Mark often has used what I would call the `line experiment'. That is where he has the participants stand in a line all with their backs to those before them. He then initiates the first participant to perform a movement and share that with the next down the line and so on. What becomes clear as the behavior morphs is that it's not the message that is important but the individual interaction that they, the participants, are engaging in. These principals are just now coming to light in planning practices such as `propagation planning' yet the underlying nature of this phenomenon is clearly at the root of who we are as human beings. Look up some of his talks on YouTube, there is footage there. It's an experiment I remind myself of at the beginning of every planning engagement I undertake for a client. More importantly, I apply this knowledge to my daily life and I am all the happier for it.

One point I found most, well most pragmatic really, is that he constantly reminds us to observe our own experiences objectively not just adhere blindly to the dogma his book "Herd" is preaching. Unfortunately many who are reading the top thinkers in marketing and human behavior today just regurgitate catch phrases without processing the concepts into their own experiences. This is where Herd really gets its power from; application and identification with ones own experience.

Mark reminds us that behavior is king, our collective behavior as well as the one to one interactions we experience all day everyday. He then ties these two worlds together in a context that is easily understood and highly applicable whether you work in advertising or not.

I cannot recommend this essential work more highly. Thanks Mark!

./John Burke