Profile for Tim Dean > Reviews

Content by Tim Dean

Tim Dean (Guildford, UK)

Philips Sonicare AirFloss Rechargeable Power Flosser 2015 model (UK 2 pin Bathroom Plug)
Offered by EuroFairy

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changer, 14 July 2015
I bought one of these on the recommendation of my dentist. Aside from an artificial crown and a couple of fillings, which I have maintained for a number of years without issues by brushing, my teeth have been in good condition. I brush after every meal (getting the odd funny look in the bathroom at work after lunch, but that's life). Despite this, my gum condition was a problem. I had a number of extraction in my youth; not due to decay, but to make room for my wisdom teeth to come through and my jawline to arrange itself. A couple of my incisors are crooked and there are areas at the back of my jaw where there are basically big holes. Finally there's that artificial crown on one back molar, which is hard to clean under; stuff just naturally gets stuck in there.

I've always been squeamish about certain things; contact lenses and dental floss never felt like things I could get on with. But the Air Floss is different, it's kind of something I always imagined would be a good idea; blasting jets of liquid between the gaps in one's jawline is no worse than sloshing saliva through those gaps with the tongue, something I would habitually do anyway.

The first time you use the device is a little unnerving; the compressed jets/puffs of liquid are surprisingly strong, so the action feels a little violent and makes you feel a little sore; and there is a little bleeding, which the instructions warn you about. But this is natural; it's the material clearing from those gaps which was building up and causing infections, and it's being sluiced out with antiseptic mouthwash. Literally just what the doctor ordered.

Amusingly the device also has the side effect of metering your mouthwash use, as you only pur in enough to fill the vessel. I find myself buying less. With that and the reduction in probable dentist bills, this device will pay for itself before very long.

I've waited until my next dentist visit to post this review. After a few months' use, I came away from my check-up with confirmation that both my teeth and my gums are now in excellent condition. I no longer get sore gums, bleeding when brushing or bouts of gingivitis. I use a combination of this and an Oral-B dual head electric toothbrush (just to show I'm not pimping one brand here), and honestly I can't recommend this enough, it's a life-changer.

The Big Roar
The Big Roar
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Not leaving my iPod any time soon, 22 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Big Roar (Audio CD)
Reminiscent of so many indie rock greats before; Curve, Lush, Smashing Pumpkins, My Vitriol, Ride and of course Mansun who they've collaborated with live. Beautiful.

The End Starts Today
The End Starts Today
Offered by swankers3

4.0 out of 5 stars That was BIS ?, 30 Sept. 2002
This review is from: The End Starts Today (Audio CD)
They've come a long way since shouting and bouncing their way onto Top Of The Pops without so much as a record deal in 1996. The A-side of this single surprised the heck outta me on the radio, I thought it was St Etienne or some newer soft indie-pop outfit. The track's got a yearning, ethereal feel. As I write this it's not arrived but I have the other tracks thanks to a friend's vinyl collection. The cover of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart is a crazed vocoder reconstruction that will have goths up in arms and leave a wide grin on the faces of electro fans. The mix of Robotic is a more vague electro dance song with quite a hard edge that you can easily imagine popping up in the right sort of club night near you and owes more than a little to Tiga or Felix. The remix of the title track turns the dreamy etherea of the original on its head and returns another pounding electro boogie song. You can almost imagine 80s body poppers lining up for it. Bonkers. Bis were never accessible enough to sell loads of records but like yesteryear's Eurodisco if you manage to acquire the taste you'll be singing it in bars with your best mates.