Profile for HuddyBolly > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Douglas Bader
Douglas Bader

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here, 15 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Douglas Bader (Kindle Edition)
Published in December last year, this may be the latest book on the subject, but those who have read Paul Brickhill's 1954 biography of Douglas Bader, 'Reach for the Sky'; will find nothing in this latest Bader biography that has not already appeared; either in Brickhill's book or elsewhere.

Proxima Direct® 200 LED 23M Green Solar Powered Fairy Light Waterproof -- Garden Outdoor Christmas Lights, Ship by 1st class delivery

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! A THROW AWAY PRODUCT. - WIRING SOLDERED DIRECTLY ONTO THE BATTERY making ready replacement impossible !, 1 Jun. 2015
I also live in Cyprus as does one other dissatisfied reviewer. Available sunlight is certainly not our problem. I ordered these lights on 5 January. They arrived some 3 weeks later. I did not string them out immediately but placed them in a good position to gain maximum charge.
Initially they charged fully and shone brightly after dusk, but for just 4 hours before dimming. I have other lights by Proxima which remain bright all night, so I still did not string them out, hoping the charge would improve and the lights would remain bright for a longer period.
Instead the brightness reduced so that within a further two weeks the lights did not come on at all.
I decided to return them but to my surprise I found that the RETURN TIME HAD ALREADY EXPIRED on 7 February.
My exasperation was complete when, on deciding to replace the re-chargeable battery I found that in this product the wiring is soldered directly onto the battery, making ready replacement impossible!
I find it inexcusable that this fact is not notified anywhere on the packaging.
I shall NOT be buying any further PROXIMA products.

Laplink PCmover Ultimate, 3 licences (PC)
Laplink PCmover Ultimate, 3 licences (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Using the Laplink cable as a 'Bridging' cable., 18 Oct. 2014
This is more of a question than a review. Four years ago I bought Laplink Professional including the cable to transfer my files from my old secondary Windows XP PC to my shiny new Windows 7 all singing and dancing tower and it worked a treat. Since then a nasty virus necessitated that I change my hard drive and the Laplink software went with it.
I still have the Laplink cable, but attached to it is this dire warning, 'STOP. Be sure to install your software before connecting this cable to your computer'.
I have now acquired another old PC running Windows XP.
Can anyone tell me what dire consequences will occur if I try to use the Lap[link cable as a bridged connection between the two PCs without going to the expense of buying another Laplink licence.

Until the Night
Until the Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Ranks alongside Deighton's 'Bomber' for accuracy of detail., 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Until the Night (Kindle Edition)
I have read a great many books about the Bomber War and the part played by RAF Bomber Command, most of them factual historical accounts of the campaign.
'Until the Night' is a noveI and none the less worse for it.
Personally I would say that it ranks alongside Len Deighton's fictional masterpiece, 'Bomber'.
But whereas 'Bomber' was an in depth account of a raid against a target in Germany, seen from all aspects of the British attack and the German defence; 'Until the night' deals solely, but at length with the RAF bombing campaign against Germany's cities, culminating with the great raids of the Battle of Berlin.
James Philip has plainly studied his subject, and the amount of detail in the story is astonishing. Although it is not the case, one could almost believe that he writes from personal experience. In a matter of fact way he describes the minutiae of flying a Lancaster bomber on operations, and the experience of working and living on an operational RAF Bomber Command station during the traumatic winter months of 1943 and into 1944 when the bomber war at it's most deadly; for all concerned.
The dis-spiriting feeling engendered of the inevitability of death that the young aircrews and those around them suffered at this time is brought home forcefully to the reader.
A great novel.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A long lasting tick treatment that really works., 23 May 2014
I live in Cyprus where sheep and goats roam everywhere, spreading ticks wherever they go. Unless treated dogs and cats soon become infested.
I had been using a well known liquid sachet treatment on my long coated German Shepherd, but because of his size it proved to be next to useless. So, on the advice of my vet who swore by them, I tried the Kiltix tick collar. Within a week my big dog was totally tick free, and remained so thereafter. For ten years now I have used Kiltix collars on each of my dogs and found them to be the ONLY truly effective anti tick treatment available here in Cyprus, and at a fraction of the cost of liquid sachet treatments. Even my German Shepherd only needed a new collar four times annually, and if he went for a swim we simply took it of, replacing it again when he was dry. The liquid sachet treatment had needed renewing every month or so; or sooner than that if he went swimming!

101 Nights
101 Nights
by Roy. Ollis

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripe for re-publication., 21 Dec. 2013
This review is from: 101 Nights (Hardcover)
When 101 Nights was published in 1957 the subject of RAF Bomber Command was being virtually ignored. There was a plethora of books about the fighter war, but apart from The Dam Busters and Cheshire VC bomber stories were virtually neglected. Those books whetted my appetite and thereafter the bomber war became my main air war interest.
Written by a former 101 Squadron pilot, the novel accurately reflects the atmosphere; both of life on an operational bomber station, and more importantly, that of flying by night in heavy bomber streams over Germany.
101 Squadron operated within 100 Group. It's status and the tasks it carried out in addition to the normal bombing role are explained in some detail and form an important part of the story.
I hope that some publisher will re-publish 101 Nights. It is too good a book to be forgotten.

Sisters, Secrets and Sacrifice: The True Story of WWII Special Agents Eileen and Jacqueline Nearne
by Susan Ottaway

5.0 out of 5 stars True heroism., 7 Oct. 2013
Susan Ottaway, has previously written biographies on Guy Gibson VC and Violette Szabo GC. In those books, whilst in no way diminishing the bravery of the subjects, she stripped away many of the inaccuracies and misconceptions that proliferated in each case mainly as a result of filmed accounts of their stories; and films, even British ones, tend to be made more for entertainment than as factual accounts.
In comparison to her previous subjects, the Nearne sisters, or more accurately, their stories were, until now virtually unknown outside SOE circles.
Both were true heroines and their story well deserves telling. Having read this book, one is left wondering why, in the circumstances of their SOE service; compared to the three women agent recipients of the George Cross, they were not similarly rewarded. These ladies were true heroines.

Secret War Heroes: The Men of Special Operations Executive
Secret War Heroes: The Men of Special Operations Executive
by Marcus Binney

4.0 out of 5 stars SOE from a different angle., 7 Oct. 2013
Not the usual SOE French section stuff. Interesting nevertheless; especially the account of Sweden's grossly unfriendly attitude and lack of neutrality towards Britain, and the total partiality the Swedes showed in their assistance to Nazi Germany, to the extent that their navy forced British merchant ships into the open sea around Sweden in the knowledge that German naval forces and U Boats were waiting to attack and sink them.

Sing Duets / Here's the Answer
Sing Duets / Here's the Answer

5.0 out of 5 stars Own the scratchy LPs Now finally have pristine CD., 7 Oct. 2013
Great stuff from Porter Wagoner & Skeeter Davis. RCA Victor vintage country music. Beats todays stuff into a cocked hat.

Sony DEJ021S Portable CD WALKMAN (No mains adaptor)
Sony DEJ021S Portable CD WALKMAN (No mains adaptor)

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless if you cannot use in-ear phones., 7 Mar. 2013
This was bought for me as a replacement for my ageing Panasonic SL-SX410 CD Walkman.
Unfortunately, in my circumstances it is next to useless. My hearing has deteriorated, but I am by no means deaf. This Sony Walkman is obviously intended solely for use with in-ear phones which I cannot use as they simply fall out.
I have five sets of headphones for PC, Hi-Fi, and TV use ranging from the superb Sennheiser HDR170 wireless phones to Philips and TDK phones. This Sony Walkman is incapable of driving any of them at anything like a realistic sound level.

At first, having read the comments of others, and the sheaf of loose leaflets that passes for instructions I thought I had not set it up correctly, but nothing I did increased the sound level. As some comments had even spoken of having to reduce the sound level, I assumed the Walkman was faulty and sent if back.
I have now received a replacement (Full marks to Amazon's excellent returns service), but unfortunately the replacement Walkman is no better.

The only good thing is that my old Panasonic SL-410 still functions as well as ever delivering good clear decent volume sound through normal headphones.

No more Sony for me!